Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

There are some things that are worth getting up early for. Mind you - there aren't many, but there are some. My mom's blueberry streusel coffee cake is one of them. Fortunately, it's super easy to make and put together, so I can then go back to bed for forty-five minutes while it bakes. Except that I can't sleep because my house then smells so good. My mom may not be a good cook, but this is one special recipe.

Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c butter
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1/2 t almond extract
2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 c blueberries (fresh or frozen -- I always add extra)

Topping:
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 c butter

(I always add just a little nutmeg to the batter and topping because nutmeg makes everything taste better!)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 370 degrees.

Beat sugar, butter and egg until they are creamy, about three or four minutes. Add milk and almond extract and mix well. Add baking powder, salt and flour, and mix gently until not quite just combined. Fold in blueberries.

Pour batter into a 10" springform pan.

Make the topping by mixing sugars, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter until crumbly. Crumble over the batter.

Bake at 370 degrees for 45 or so minutes (my oven always takes a little longer).

Enjoy!

For more yummy stuff, check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace! I have found so many yummy recipes. If I have time next week, I'll share my favorites that I've made so far.

17 comments:

Hoosier Homemade March 31, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

That sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

MaBunny March 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

Blueberry anything is good Michelle. I always loved my moms blueberry buckle - still make it to this day.

Samantha March 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

Sounds yummy ! I love blueberries, cant wait to try this, thanks so much for sharing.

septembermom March 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

I'm starting to look forward to your Tasty Tuesday posts! This recipe is a winner and crowd pleaser. Thanks!

MaBunny March 31, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Got something waiting for you at my blog ! come and get it!

Live.Love.Eat March 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Sounds wonderful. I just love the word Streusel!!!!!

Heather March 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

That sounds so good! If only I had some blueberries in the house!

Kristen March 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

Ooooh yummy - I am bookmarking this for later. Thanks for sharing!

KatBouska March 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

Mmmmm...I would totally get out of bed for that!!!

Anonymous March 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Almond extract and blueberries-two of my favorites! Yuuuuummm!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace March 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Angie's Spot March 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

I love blueberry everything! I'll definitely give this recipe a try. Thanks!

Lori March 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

Mmmmmmmm! I am going to have to try this with a bag of frozen berries I found in the freezer recently!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Ryan Ashley Scott March 31, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Mmmmm.... I will have to try this. I wonder how it would do with half whole wheat flour? Blueberries are such a healthy treat, too!

Angela March 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

Sounds great! I could eat streusel (I call it "crisp") topping till I just make myself ill. Love it!

xxxx April 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM  

Oh, my gosh, that sounds soooo good!

Michelle April 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Liz - It IS yummy. Breakfast lunch and dinner yummy, in fact!

MaBunny - Oooo blueberry buckle sounds pretty tasty, too. You'll have to share that one.

Samantha - Defintely try it. I'd love to know what you think.

septembermom - Aww, you're so sweet! It doesn't always please a crowd though. More than six people and not everyone gets seconds ;)

Heather - Make a run to Costco. Those frozen blueberries are perfect.

Kristen - Of course. I hope you enjoy it.

Mama Kat - See! I'm not the only one :)

Kara - Yup. Except you *can* overdo the almond but never the blueberries!

Lisa - Every week!

Angie - Go for it. Blueberries make everything better.

Lori - Oh good. I'm not the only one with the mysterious bag of frozen blueberries. Mine had been there for quite awhile, I think.

RAS - I haven't tried it, but I will next time perhaps. I have some in my pantry. Let me know if you try it that way.

Angela - I SWEAR I've never doubled the streusel topping for this one. And only put about 80% of it on the coffeecake and eaten the rest. I've never do that!

Swishy - It is. And so easy to make....

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP