Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

Every year during Lent, the church we go to does Souper Suppers where one group of the church brings in soup and salad on a Tuesday and we watch a short DVD, then talk about it over soup and salad. This is yet another of the things that I wasn't told about when I joined the choir, but tonight is our Souper Supper (and don't get me started with Maundy Thursday and the washing of the feet).

Since Little Miss is still pretty sick, I dug down in my recipes to find something that would require minimal effort to make today but still taste good. I had almost forgotten about my crockpot black bean soup.

This is one of my favorites, and it's a really healthy and delicious version of the soup that fits my minimal work requirement quite nicely. Crockpot soups are a lifesaver!

Crockpot Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight (then rinsed and drained)
6 c chicken stock* (can use vegetable if vegetarian)
5 roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin powder
3/4 t black pepper, ground
1/2 t hot sauce
1 t paprika (preferably smoky Hungarian)


Directions:
Be sure black beans are rinsed and drained. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Stir to combine, then cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Stir again then cook on low for another 2 1/2 hours. When completed, either use an immersion blender to puree or add to a blender in small batches (when hot, if you put too much in, the pressure will force the top off). I serve with a garnish of avocado slices.
Makes 10 1 cup servings

*Don't use bouillion cubes. Invest in the yummy stuff. It makes a real difference.


For more yummy stuff, check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

8 comments:

septembermom March 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Can you believe that I don't own a crockpot? I better run out and get one. I always come across good recipes using a crockpot. I think it would make my kitchen life a bit easier at times. Sounds like a yummy recipe.

Raevyn March 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

YUMMY! I love my crock pot, and the variety of stuff I can fix in it.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace March 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

Sounds wonderful. I am trying to cook more beans, these days. Cheap and healthy! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Dreamer March 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

This is my kind of soup, put it in and forget about it. Come back and you have an amazing meal. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try it!

Cookie March 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

I admire you for sticking to this every week. I feel bad that I can't manage to avoid serving frozen dinners a few times a week. Of course they aren't really frozen when I serve them, but you know what i mean.

Brenda March 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

I make black beans in the crock pot too and it always comes out delicious

Angie's Spot March 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

Crock pots rule! I'm trying to find a yummy chicken noodle soup crock pot recipe. The search continues!

Michelle March 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

septembermom - Blasphemer! I can't believe you don't own a crockpot. Go. Buy one. Now!

Raevyn - Oh I'm so with you! It's so nice to just fake making something in the am and then not have to worry about dinner later in the day.

Lisa - They're so good for you... and so cheap... and so tasty! I hope you enjoy it.

Dreamer - Yep, those are my thoughts exactly. Enjoy!

Cookie - Each week? Cookie, I cook pretty much every night. AND I work. :) I actually enjoy doing this.

Brenda - It really does. The slow cooking seems to really make them taste better.

Angie - Good luck on the chicken noodle soup. They're so fast and so easy that I just cook mine in a regular pot in about a half hour. If you did it in a crock pot, the noodles would fall apart! You can make the broth for it in a crock pot though :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP