Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's Back To Childhood

Remember when you were a kid? What was the first thing you asked your mom when you woke up each day? For me, I had to ask what day is was. I never knew. And really, I only asked some days when I had a pressing need to know or something was coming up that I was excited about.

Granted, I generally knew if it was a weekday or weekend -- although sometimes I'd forget and start to get ready for school on a Saturday. In summer though... all we did was wile away the hours hanging out and playing. There was no schedule we cared about and no structure. I'm sure I knew what month it was, but day of the week? No clue.

As I got older, this happened less often. I remember being in junior high and trying to forget the days of the week during the summer. I didn't really succeed, although I was able to forget for a day or so at a time.

Once I reached high school and had more responsibilities, I always knew what day it was. I knew what I was supposed to do that day and the next. I knew what preparation I had to do to get ready for the upcoming days.

And I knew that my childhood was truly coming to an end.

They always say that your dotage is a second childhood. Apparently I'm older than I thought.

I almost sent Manic Mommy a note yesterday evening to ask her where her blood drive contest winners were. They were to be posted on Thursday (today) after all. Fortunately, I realized what day it was before sending.

Of course, the reason I remembered in time is because of an earlier incident.

I went to the grocery store with a list of items to pick up. Eggs were $0.97 for eighteen with a $10 purchase. I needed applesauce to make two dairy free recipes for Little Miss. And they had chicken on sale for $2/pound, which you don't see too often anymore. And I can always use more yogurt... which was on sale 32 oz for $1.49.

I picked up the eggs and headed towards the meat section. I saw whole chicken on sale. And drumsticks for $1.49 per pound, but I couldn't find the $2 chicken breasts. The yogurt was no problem, and I picked up my applesauce.

I then headed to the front of the store to find a flyer so I could complain to the store and ask them to get the right price up. Looking at the flyer, I could see that it was still last week's flyer. I sighed at their incompetance and headed to the other entrance, hoping I could find a flyer there. Nope, still the same stupid flyer from last week.

Irritated now, I decided to go to the front desk and inquire about the chicken. The woman looked at me funny and asked if it was the flyer I'd gotten in the mail. Umm, duhhh! Then she reminded me that the sale items don't start until Thursday. Of course they don't start until Thursday. I know that, but my issue is that. Oh. Yeah. Today's not Thursday yet, is it?

The woman gave me a sympathetic look, as I explained my confusion. And may I point out that this is further proof that being rude to people is never called for. I wasn't mean to her but just inquiring about the sale chicken. And since I was totally wrong, she was nice to me and only a single snort of laughter escaped rather than having her patronizingly correct me and treat me like the moron I am.

Uhhh yeah, I put back the eggs and the yogurt. It's the grocery store version of the walk of shame. I still bought my applesauce though. And made some yummy goodies today -- granola, chocolate applesauce cake, and whole wheat carrot cranberry muffins.

And yes, even after this very memorable incident, I still thought it was Thursday later that evening.

Anyone know of any good nursing homes in the Chicago area?

14 comments:

Karen March 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

I'm laughing, but only because I've been there. Just this week at the vet I handed the lady two $20s to pay for my $200 bill. She looked at me like I'd grown 3 heads.

Debbie March 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

We must have lived parallel lives yesterday. All day I thought it was Thursday. I only realized it wasn't around 11:00 p.m!

Heather March 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

I do that about once every week.

septembermom March 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

I get my days mixed up all the time. I mix up the kids' names constantly. Too much on our mind all the time. My kids think it's so funny when Mommy screws up! When my oldest teases me too many times, I remind him that he has to get my permission to drive when it's car time :)

Simply AnonyMom March 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

We have all had moments like that. I agree with the days and their importance and how it changes.

In Chicago the ads start on Thursdays? That is odd because in Seattle (and Austin) they start on Wednesday.

April March 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

I do that ALL the time. My daughter missed school 2 Mondays ago because I thought it was Sunday.

Sheryl March 12, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

Getting old is going to be a challenge.

Unknown March 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I'm laughing because I do that with the sales ALL THE TIME. I think my husband has my nursing home picked out already, I'll ask if there are 2 beds in the room ;)

Anonymous March 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

How funny...and I can so relate. I used to work in an office so unfortunately always knew the date and the day of the week. I started working from home almost two years ago and homeschool the kids so I really never quite have a clue what's going on...I even once got the kids up on a Saturday literally infuriated that they were sleeping in on a school day...yep...mother of the year for that one!

Michelle March 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Karen - Nice. Of coures it would have been nicer had she accepted the two $20s, wouldn't it?

Debbie - Bummer, isn't it? I'm ok with being a day off, but I'd rather be a day off the OTHER way!

septembermom - Yeah... I always thought that having a boy and a girl would help keep names straight. Not so much unfortunately.

Simply Anonymom - Depending on the store, it's Wed or Thurs. They all come out on Tuesday, but Dominick's doesn't start until Thursday.

April - Now THAT is impressive. Congrats!

Sheryl - Thank you for saying "getting" instead of "being."

Megryansmom - Thanks for offering to share :)

Mary Beth - The kids must've loved being roused like that. At lesat ummm you can laugh about it now, right?

Cookie March 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

ROFL! I hope you had the kids with you.l It's always nice to have someone else to blame for our mental state ;)
Oh, and that must by Safeway having the $0.97 eggs. I was excited about those too :)

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy March 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

I was a teacher at a school with a rotating schedule, every day started with a different period. I HAD to know what day it was. Now that I don't I LOVE not knowing... if it wasn't for the carnivals like Writer's Workshop I don't know if I would even care. Freedom!!

Megan March 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

Oops. lol Yeah, I've had days like that as well.

Michelle March 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Cookie - Yeah... that was me by myself actually. I snuck out during lunch when I was working from home and the wee ones were in daycare and preschool. But yes -- Dominick's actually, which is a Safeway subsidiary :)

NateAndJakesMom - Ouch! Interestingly, that's a recommendation that I think our school district should go to in a way to get more time on subjects that need it -- the European model. I love that you've gone back to not knowing!

Megan - Yeah... I'm hoping most people have. But most people probably don't do it quite as publicly!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP