Sunday, March 29, 2009

An Open Letter To Spring

Dear Spring,

I'm writing you in the hopes that you can rectify an error. It snowed here last yesterday and this morning. And I don't mean just cute little snow, I mean heart attack causing, massive, heavy snow that had trees bowed over and touching the roads kind of snow.

I know we have a little time warp around my house, but I think this is a little excessive in your lateness. While I will admit to having been late once or twice in my lifetime, I've never been this late. Ok, don't count the time I was three weeks late for my own birth. I didn't know any better then.

It's March 29, and it is cold and wet and icky. People are getting sick because you've missed the boat, and I'm hoping that it was just a slight oversight on your part. Did you know that Spring Break is over? That it's been spring for nine days so far?

In fact, my husband is supposed to play baseball outside next Sunday, but I don't see that happening at this rate. We won't talk about the t-ball practice that Mister Man is supposed to have because I forgot he had a broken arm and signed him up for t-ball anyway.

I'd really appreciate it if you could find a way to make it here. I thought you were coming, and so did my crocuses. In fact, I almost tilled my garden last week until it rained too much and made it too muddy. Maybe it would help if I provided some photographic evidence of how very wrong this most recent snowfall was?









As you can see, this wasn't just a "sprinkle" of snow. This is a good December of January snow. Trees were on the ground here. And branches are down everywhere -- especially where the incredibly dumb people drove through the trees that were bowed over and knocked off all their branches.

Do it for the trees then? Neither of us wants to see any more trees harmed. Regardless of your motivation, if you could work on making it here, my sanity thank you.

Sincerely,



PS Last year, I tried going to a higher power in May. I'd really appreciate it if I didn't have to go over your head this year. I don't want to get you in trouble again.

10 comments:

septembermom March 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

Wow, that is a winter wonderland! Snow at the end of March, who would believe it? It's raining here in NY, cold and damp. Spring get here soon!

Ryan Ashley Scott March 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

It looks beautiful.... for Christmas. I can't believe the snow in those pictures! Wow.

I'm laughing at you - signing him up for t-ball. It's like those times when you're on your way to an appointment and talking on the phone and saying, "sure I can meet you in a few minutes for a lunch date." even though you know you are going to an appointment at that very moment. Sometimes things don't register like they're supposed to. Yeah, I don't think you're the only one. :)

Angie's Spot March 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

We had crazy snowfall like that during Spring Break of my senior year in high school. I think we had another pretty decent snow 2 years later, but since then, it's been nothing but dusting around here. My girls are sorely disappointed that they've still never seen snow. Looks like a road trip is in our future if we ever want to see it again!

Angela March 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

Oh my. That's nuts!

I remember the infamous (around here) Blizzard of 93', wherein Angie and I were stuck home over spring break (to be fair, so were most of our friends) while a couple of lucky ducks got out to Florida before the mess hit town. We lost power on our side of the river, but lights were shining brightly (for three days) across the river, taunting us as we froze.

I am so sorry you guys have yuck! Make that spinach salad I was telling you about. It will bring spring to your tastebuds, at least!

It was supposed to be sunny and warm here today. Instead, it was 48 for most of the day and barely light. The sun finally peeked out but it's still freezing out.

Unknown March 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Oh my, I was unhappy this morning, but you definitely got more snow up north. Ours is practically melted :) but I agree it was a very sick joke and I'm not amused.

Hyacynth March 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Ahhh, yes, our photos do look strinkingly similar. We must live sorta close to each other. I comisserate with you.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, too, btw.

Roxane March 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

If you start a petition for Mother Nature to get her act together I will sign it!

BloggessJ March 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

I wish Mother Nature would get her act together!

Barb March 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

That is just crazy! It makes me cold just looking at it ~ brrrr!

Michelle March 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

septembermom - I'd take rain over snow... although we had that on Saturday, too.

RAS - The part of it that really smarts is that I'm paying the extra fee for registering him late, too! Where was my brain?

Angie - Oh, just head on up to Chicago. At any point in the year, apparently! The girls will be thrilled.

Angela - I'm definitely making that salad to our Maundy Thursday potluck next week -- if I don't make it before then!

Megryansmom - Yeah, it's amazing how much a few miles will do. When we're driving home from STL, it's always amazing to me to watch the weather change as we drive!

Hyacynth - Either that or that snow hit a lot more people than it should have!

Roxane - I just might have to do that! I'll let you know.

JamieH - No kidding. Where's my bubble of 77 degrees and sunny with a light breeze?

Barb - It was pretty rotten. And cold. And windy. Why am I living in Chicago again?

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP