Saturday, March 7, 2009

There Must've Been A Switch At The Hospital

I say this only because there's no way that my child could possibly be as devious and forward thinking as Little Miss is. That's not to say that I'm stupid, but I just don't believe I was nearly this clever at this age, nor did I use it to my benefit the way Little Miss does.

Yesterday at lunchtime, she announced that she wanted soy milk pancakes for dinner. I wasn't really feeling like making them for a number of reasons: they'd had them for dinner two nights before, they aren't my favorite, I had lunch for Mister Man that I needed him to eat at dinner (he ate at a friend's house unbeknownst to me), et cetera.

Silly me, I thought I would be clever. Rather than simply saying no, which in retrospect I should have, I told her that the soy milk pancakes are a special treat that she gets to have with Grandma and Grandpa only. (This is the one meal my husband is capable of cooking, so when I'm working and haven't made crock pot dinner, my parents stick around after finishing childcare duties and have the dinner my husband makes for them all.) Knowing that Grandma and Grandpa were visiting my sister that day and unable to make it for dinner, I figured this was safe.

She was briefly disappointed, but then her face lit up and she asked if she could call Grandma. Obviously, I knew where this was going. I agreed and handed her the phone.

Little Miss: Hi, Grandma. Can you come over for soy milk pancakes tonight?
Grandma: I'm sorry, Sweetie. We're visiting Auntie M today. I can't make it today. Maybe we can do it Monday night when we babysit you. How does that sound?
Little Miss: Oh. Well, can I talk to Grandpa to see if he can come?
Grandma: Grandpa's here visiting Auntie M, too.
Little Miss: Are you sure?
Grandma: Yes, Princess. He's sitting right next to me right now.
Little Miss: Ok. Bye-bye then.

She looked at me crestfallen. They can't come, Mommy.

Then her face brightened once again. I know! We can make it and just have it ourselves! We'll just have to do it and not tell Grandma and Grandpa. Ok, Mommy?

Yeah, not so ok. This time I gave her the flat out no. She was -- shall we say -- quite disappointed, but she finally got over it. This morning.

Me? I don't think I would have questioned my mom, and I know I wouldn't have thought ahead to how I could get my way without quite following rules that had been set out. You'd almost think she were already a teenager!

9 comments:

septembermom March 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

She will definitely fight for her position! I notice how my kids will try all kinds of arguments to persuade me to get what they want. When I was a kid, my mom said "no" and that was it. Today, kids are like the contestants on Survivor. They want to "outwit, outplay and outlast" their parents. You have a smart little cookie on your hands :)

Aunt Julie March 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

I think Little Miss must be related to The Wild One...sounds like a re-run to me! BTW, I'm starting a new Pop'rs Giveaway tomorrow!!

Unknown March 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

A lawyer in the making? The girl knows what she wants.

Simply AnonyMom March 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

hehehe That is not funny. OK maybe a little. I am not looking forward to those days. My kids are ALMOST there.

MaBunny March 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

oh, soy milk pancakes sound good to me... can you send me the recipe? my hubby and i like the 8th continent light vanilla.

Michelle March 8, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

septembermom - Oh yes... she will FIGHT. And it isn't like I give in when she argues or cries or whathaveyou. This is completely innate.

Veggie Mom - But The Wild One is happily ensconced in college and doing well. That gives me hope!

Simply AnonyMom - Oh just wait. You laugh now and it alllll comes back to bite you later.

MaBunny - Uhhh I don't make them. This is the ONE thing my husband does. And if I were making them, I'd adjust the recipe, as they aren't my favorite, but I'll send you a note. :)

anymommy March 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM  

Trouble, but such clever trouble!

Cookie March 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Too cute!

Michelle March 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

anymommy - ahhhh yeah. And see, that's just not a good combination in a little girl. Or a teenager.

Cookie - Oh sure YOU think so with your well behaved boys!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP