Friday, March 20, 2009

Another Entry

Yep, it's time for me to submit yet another entry for the Mother Of The Year Award. I think I'm the leading contender right now. And this time, I have public verification of my entry, which I think can only help my chances.

Little Miss woke up in yet another lovely mood -- partly due to the fact that my mom was watching the wee ones again yesterday while I was working late and they got to bed late after my mom didn't even try to put Little Miss down for a nap.

Getting dressed was a challenge, but we finally made it through that ordeal with just enough time to eat breakfast before her bus arrived at its new, early time. She was finally in a better mood after breakfast, so I took her picture.



There's my cutie pie. With the horribly messy hair that I swear I brushed and put a barrette in before breakfast. Isn't she adorable?

When she got home, I realized one small thing. Oops, I forgot to change her socks. Getting dressed was not the most pleasant experience, and she really wanted to choose her clothes, rejecting the first two outfits I selected after she had dawdled.

She did choose a cute outfit, but for socks... well, that was where I decided it wasn't worth the battle at the time. I let her put on the socks that she'd picked out of a basket in her room and figured I'd change them before the bus came once she was more tractable.

Except the bus came about five minutes early, and -- shockingly -- we were running late. Instead, she went to school wearing these:



Yep, that would be a Halloween sock and a random red sock. They really are lovely with the handmade beautiful shirt from Karen, aren't they?

Let's get a closer view.



Oh. Yes. The red sock is a baby sock from when she wasn't yet walking. Although she can stretch it to fit on her foot it doesn't stay there long. It quickly starts sliding down. And the other one? That would be a Halloween sock from the Target dollar section from two years ago. It doesn't really fit, either.

Yep, those are the socks she wore to school today. And her teachers see them because they take off their shoes when they do motor room. I can only imagine the tale going around the school today.

Yep, just chalk that up as another winning moment in my portfolio for Mother Of The Year.

16 comments:

AutoSysGene March 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM  

They'll probably think she just dressed herself...and there is nothing wrong with that...

Now you just need to teacher her how to master matching colors. At 6 years old, we're still struggling over here! :)

MaBunny March 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

hey, at least she was dressed!
I'm sure the teachers understand that age and that the kids TRY to assert independence.
At least she had underwear on , as well as pants, lol.
I think you are doing a swell job with your cutie pies!

Angie's Spot March 20, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

I've been there too my friend. I'm always wondering what the wry smile means that I get from Little A's teacher many days when I pick her up. Sigh.

Sheryl March 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

I'm sure the teachers didn't think anything of it, it probably even put a smile on their face.

Have a great weekend.

septembermom March 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

She's cute even with two different socks:) My 12 year old was supposed to wear mismatched socks one day this week to show "school spirit". If he wore them, he would have received two bonus points. So maybe mismatched socks have their benefits! Maybe the teachers were applauding her individual sense of style!!!

Karen March 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

My daughter's friends wear mismatched socks on purpose. In high school. Your girl is just stylin'.

Susie March 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM  

I'm with MaBunny! We are required to dress them. Looking good is a fringe benefit:-)

Roxane March 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

Hey i'm 25 and I still cant wear matching sox!

Ryan Ashley Scott March 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Ahaha! I love mismatched socks - they hide neatly under pants and in shoes, therefore making a wonderful "give" for children. Better she win that one than the "cookies for breakfast" argument. :) Plus, they're kind of cute on kids - add that to the list of things kids can get away with that we can't (including stretch pants, ruffle panties and light-up shoes).

Jenn M March 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

We saw this company the other day Littlemissmatched seriously this company doesn't sell socks of the matching variety..

Want embarrassing? I went to the grocery store the other day with two completely different shoes on my feet..

Debbie March 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

My daughter went three years - grades 7 - 9 - that she only wore mismatched socks on purpose. It's only socks. I think you'll have to dig a little deeper to really have a lock on that award!

Anonymous March 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Hey, at least she was wearing socks! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! :)

Melisa Wells March 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

I'm with the others. I'm sure the teachers got a little chuckle but only thought, "Little Miss must have picked out her socks today!"

Michelle March 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Melissa - You mean that bright purple, dark brown and gold don't match? Apparently Mister Man has a similar problem ;)

MaBunny - True. She did have underwear and pants on. I should count my blessings.

Angie - Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't ask the question when I see those looks!

Sheryl - Here's hoping!

septembermom - Ahhh, so it's school spirit and individual style. Now that's thinking positively!

Karen - Somehow, that doesn't surprise me that my three year old would follow the high school trend. That seems to be par for the course.

Susie - Fringe benefit. I'm going to have to remember that. Of course the things my MOM says about how she's dressed sometimes certainly run counter to that theory.

Roxane - Well that's inspiring confidence ;)

Ryan Ashley Scott - Shhhh don't let her know that there's even the possibility of arguing about cookies for breakfast! You mean my light up shoes aren't cool?

Jenn M - Yikes. I actually did that at work once back when I was in management consulting. I had identical pumps in navy and brown. I wore one of each one day when apparently I got dressed in the dark!

Debbie - I'll keep trying. I know I've got it in me!

Anne - Again, you bring up a good point. Today she wanted to wear beach shoes which I nixed.

Melisa - I certainly hope they didn't think *I* picked them out!

Angela March 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

Truly - don't stress over stuff like that. Because really and truly, when I see a kid with socks matched like that, I know exactly who picked the socks out, LOL! Some days it's just not worth fighting the battle. Especially not early in the morning.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've worn mismatched socks to work myself!

Michelle March 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Angela - Knowing that you, too, have worn mismatched socks... I'm totally cool with it now ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP