Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

It's somehow Tuesday again. While we did some cooking last week, they frequently included recipes that I've found on TMTT, so I'm not reposting those! At the end of winter, I tend to start making a lot of soups, and I made one of my favorites this week.

It's easy, quick and the wee ones even like it (so long as I use soy milk for Little Miss and skip the butter at the end!). Whenever I make it, I always have to save some to send home to my mom, too.

Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

2 oz turkey bacon, chopped to matchstick pieces
2 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
4 1/2 c milk
4 c. frozen corn
2 red potatoes, chopped
3/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T butter, unsalted


Directions:
Makes 8 generous servings of soup

Add bacon and olive oil to heavy stock pot and cook bacon about 10 minutes until crispy.

While bacon is cooking, chop onion and celery. Add to the bacon mixture and stir to get fond off bottom of pot.

While this is cooking, chop the potatoes and put 3 of the 4 c of corn into a measuring device. Add the potatoes, milk, and 3 c of frozen corn to the pot and stir.

Bring to a boil, the simmer while covered for 10-15 minutes. Use immersion blender to blend a bit but not too much, or remove 1 1/2 c of the vegetables and use blender to puree before returning to soup.

Add the remaining corn and stir. Add the salt and pepper, as well. Add the pat of butter and let melt atop the soup, then ladle out and enjoy!


For more yummy stuff, check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

12 comments:

Heather March 17, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

I love corn chowder, but have never made it myself! I think I will try out your recipe!

Roxane March 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

That sounds easy enough! I'll give it a try sometime :)

septembermom March 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Thanks for the easy soup recipe! It would be great if it feeds my whole crowd happily! Anything in one pot is a good thing :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace March 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Sounds wonderful.Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

We love corn chowder at our house, will have to try this recipe!

Jill March 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Wish I would have read this, this morning I was looking for a recipe for corn chowder. I made potatoe soup for dinner.. and blt's! yummy!

Angela March 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

I know...how is it already Tuesday again? Seriously!

This looks great! I love soups to go with dinner. I can't do them as a meal in themselves because I'm always hungry again about four minutes after I finish eating. But I love them as appetizers!

Susie March 17, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

That sounds so yummy!!

Cookie March 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

I love corn chowder! Just no meat in mine :)

Ryan Ashley Scott March 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Yum. This makes me wish my son would eat soup. Or anything for that matter...

I can't believe you don't know what "The Elaine" is - you must find a clip online somewhere.

Debbie March 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

Corn chowder is divine! This looks like a great recipe.

Michelle March 18, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Heather - I'd never made it before this recipe either, but I make this one all the time. It's one of my favorites -- and it's one of the few soups (chicken noodle being the other) that the wee ones will eat!

Roxane - Go for it. It's cheap to make, too. Always critical, I know!

septembermom - I'm with you on the one pot wonders! And it's possible that this soup makes leftovers for the majority of the week. Especially if I make biscuits to go with it. yum!

Lisa - Of course. I love seeing what everyone has to offer!

newlyweds - Good luck! It's a fun one, especially if you add a little shredded chicken or crab or other treats to it.

Jill - Bad timing! That'll teach you to skip the morning blog ;)

Angela - Heh! You just aren't eating a big enough bowl. Or having enough biscuits!

Susie - It is... but maybe not quite as yummy as cupcakes!

Cookie - What, you'd skip the bacon? But bacon makes EVERYthing better!

Ryan Ashley Scott - I may have to go look for a clip. I'm very Seinfeld stupid as my parents and husband point out. And generally I'm ok with that.

Debbie - It is, isn't it? I actually want to go get a bowl right now... except that it's gone!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP