Sunday, March 22, 2009

His Immortal Soul

I think Mister Man is going to hell.

I mean, we've tried. We're really tried. We go to church every Sunday. Mister Man goes to Sunday school before church. He has his own children's Bible. He's even singing in the youth choir.

But we have a problem. This morning, I asked him to tell me about the picture he was drawing.



On the left, we have the Incredible Hulk. Normal enough for a five year old boy, right? To his right, we have Jesus.

This is where the problem starts. The Incredible Hulk (who has some unknown red substance in his hand, possibly a rock? I was afraid to ask) is fighting Jesus. He's going to kill Jesus, in fact. And up in the right hand corner, we have Spiderman who's mostly out of the view.

Spiderman is going to spin a web around Jesus once he falls down. And you know that he's going to fall down because you see the arrow telling what's happening in the story that is the picture. I'm not quite so sure why the Incredible Hulk looks so happy to be killing Jesus, but I certainly understand the frown on Jesus's face.

I had a little chat with Mister Man to better understand this and then reexplained that while Jesus is killed on Good Friday, it was done by some very bad men, that Jesus allowed this to happen because He was making a sacrifice for us, and that He came back to life on Easter which meant that we are all saved.

Is there remedial Sunday School? Poor kid is really in trouble here.

16 comments:

MaBunny March 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Chalk one up for a wild imagination!

Karen March 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

Gotta love boys, no?

Katie Lane March 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

This made me laugh. Thanks.

Roxane March 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

Priceless! Boys crack me up!

septembermom March 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

Boys turn anyone or anything into an action figure! Maybe try and think about how comfortable he is with Jesus in his life. He incorporates Him into his imagination. Maybe next picture you'll see Jesus as the superhero defeating the villain!

Angie's Spot March 22, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Now that's a take on Easter that I'm just not familiar with. Tell Mister Man that I appreciate his side of the story. LOL!

Angela March 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

Oh my goodness, this just made me smile. Not to worry - I think Jesus understands how the minds of children - and adults - work. I am still LOL at your comment that you understand the frown on Jesus's face, however. Indeed! LOL!

Give Mister Man a hug from us!

Ryan Ashley Scott March 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Such a talented artist... maybe he should just change his story a bit. I love these things - kids crack me up. This Mr. Man must really be a lot of fun.

anymommy March 22, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

He's going to be just fine. I just know that God (and I'm sure Jesus) has a sense of humor.

bernthis March 23, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

Ah, the imagination of a boy. I have to say I love to see P's pics and then ask her to explain them.

Jill March 23, 2009 at 1:22 AM  

Oh my.. I don't know what to say... is lol..okay.?

Jeff and Charli Lee March 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Don't be too hard on him. I went to a Catholic school my whole life and church every week since, and I'm not sure I still understand how it all went down myself. ;-)

Aunt Julie March 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Oh, gracious! I think Jesus would understand...he wouldn't send Mr. Man to Hell for an obvious fit of lurid imagination, would he?

Michelle March 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

MaBunny - He certainly DOES have an imagination :)

Karen - Uhh, yeah. So this is normal?

Katie - Hey, I do what I can :)

Roxane - Yeah... me, too. I would never have thought of anything like this as a child.

septembermom - Ohh does he ever! EVERY single stuffed animal he owns right now has nametags for one superhero or another -- from Venom to Captain America. Gotta love the little white bunny that's Hulk!

Angie's Spot - He'll be glad to know that someone does :)

Angela - Yeah, I suppose He does, doesn't He?

Ryan Ashley Scott - (I was so tempted to put Rashley!) He actually did change his story as s oon as I explained how it went down. It's now a villain attacking Jesus and Spiderman is saving Him.

anymommy - With my family, He'd better! :)

bernthis - Yep, getting the explanation without any prompting is always entertaining.

Jill - Yep, perfectly ok.

Jeff - Well that's encouraging! Then again, we left Catholicism because they no longer offered Sunday School....

Veggie Mom - I'm hoping not :) But the picture still cracks me up!

Cookie March 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Yikes! That's a new interpretation. Maybe he's getting ready to start his own religion ;)

Michelle March 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Cookie - Funny you should say that. If either child were going to start their own religion, it would definitely be Little Miss and not him!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP