Friday, March 27, 2009

Mister Man, Boy Detective

This hasn't quite been the spring break we planned this year. While I knew my husband would be at the high school with the baseball team three of our days off, I was still planning to do some fun things with the wee ones.

You know -- head up to a waterpark for a night or two with some friends, maybe teach Mister Man to ride his bike without the training wheels, lots of time outside making chalk drawings, definitely hanging out at the club playing in the pool, and maybe some time to get some good playdates in.

Yeah.

We've done none of those things. Between Mister Man breaking his arm the week before spring break and Little Miss being pretty sick since the first day of spring break, we haven't done one of those things.

Instead, we've spent a lot of time at home, nursing Little Miss and doing some quiet playing. That's right. We haven't even done the chalk drawing outside, which you would think would be easy.

Did I forget to mention the flooding rains and cold weather? Oh. Shame on me. We have snow in the forecast tomorrow, too.

This did afford me to do one special thing with Mister Man though. We went to the library, and he decided he wanted his very own library card. Who am I to stop him? So he now is the proud owner of a library card. That I keep in my wallet.



(And yes, that's a raincoat. Because of the massive rainstorms.) With his very first libary card, he couldn't decide what to check out. Partly, this was because he decided he wanted a libary card after we'd already checked out our books and were on the way to the car. He'd gotten two Thomas books for the sick Little Miss and chosen two for himself - the next Magic Treehouse book and another Roscoe Riley Rules book. (And he was very disappointed that Bad Kitty Gets a Bath was the first and so far only book in that series.)

That means I got to choose the book for him. I thought back to what it was like when I was young, the books I enjoyed. He's definitely reading more advanced books than I was at his age, but I finally decided on a series that I enjoyed as a child that I thought wouldn't be too old for him.



Yep, that would be Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective. Ten mysteries from the boy genius that make you think, too. And of course it has the requisite villain -- frequently Bugs Meaney.

When we got home, he sat down and read the first four stories without delay. I think we have a winner.

And another milestone is passed. My little baby is turning into quite the big boy here. And I'm so proud of him!

16 comments:

MaBunny March 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Yay Mister Man!

What is it with Bad Kitty Gets A Bath??? I worked our school book faire twice this past week and that sold out the first day!
And unfortunately we didn't get any more in! UGH! Lots of disappointed little kiddos.

He looks happy and yes he is advanced if he is already reading the Magic Treehouse books. Way To Go!

septembermom March 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

That was a great book choice for him! Congratulations to Mister Man on getting his first library card. He'll have a lifetime of reading ahead of him to enjoy. Hopefully, he'll still want to go to the library during those teen years :)

Cute pictures too :)

Laura March 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

Oh a broken arm...ouch!! Thanks for coming by!

Heather March 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Isn't it great to know your kids like books!?

Ryan Ashley Scott March 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

He looks so sweet and proud of himself! Library cards rule, as do books and their readers.

Can you believe he's old enough to enjoy books that you remember reading? The thought of Monsoon reading on his own blows my mind - and I will love it.

Debbie March 27, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

A library card is the best thing a kid can own.

Carebear March 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

Oh, that's so cute! I love reading my childhood books with my own kids too! We visit the library every week, but they won't let my guy have his own card for a couple more years! Just stopped by to say thanks for entering my Support the Troops giveaway and for following! I’ll be drawing two winners on Tuesday. Hope you’re one of them!

Aunt Julie March 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

I think quiet time is sometimes the BEST quality time! Hope Mr. Man and Little Miss heal up real soon...

Angie's Spot March 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

That was a great series of books! I can't wait for my girls to be old enough to read the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.

Michelle March 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

MaBunny - Bummer that they couldn't get a reorder in time for you. Or that they couldn't place an order for those that were interested. Ours didn't sell out, but as a preschool, that's not surprising. He thought it was a great book!

septembermom - Ohhh, I'm hoping he still wants to go then. I know I always enjoyed reading, even through the teen years. There's hope!

Laura - Yeah :) It's been a fun spring so far!

Heather - Most definitely. I tried to clear out some of their book shelves yesterday (yes, plural) but it was like pulling teeth for them to get rid of baby board books even. They both love their books!

Ryan Ashley Scott - I know. It's weird to think that he's reading books that I read as a kid. Albeit I was at least two or three years older than him, but still way cool!

Debbie - Yep, and he's so proud! He freaked out when we went back and it was in my purse and he didn't know where it was.

Carebear - Our library is pretty cool - whenever the parents think they're ready, they'll let them get a card. I like that we have the judgement.

Veggie Mom - Oh yes... quiet time is frequently the best time! I can't wait until Little Miss starts reading, too.

Angie - It is, isn't it? I don't know that I want my troublemaker (Little Miss) reading Ramona though ;) Do you remember the Bobsey Twins, too?

Irene March 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Oh I forgot about Encyclopedia Brown! I LOVED him!!!! I may have to read some of his books to my girl!

Thanks!

Angela March 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Awesome! I still remember going to the library as a kid. I just loved it (and still love to read). I was more into Nancy Drew and the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary and some other stuff I can't even remember now, but having a library card opens the door to a whole new universe! Congratulations to your little guy!

morninglight mama March 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Oh, the first library card, how awesome!! I think JAM was 4 or 5 when he got his, and he has used it quite frequently in the years since. :) Your little boy is not so little these days, huh???

Michelle March 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

Irene - He was a great one. I had forgotten about him, too, until I was perusing the shelves for a book to choose. I can't wait until Little Miss is old enough for Trixie Belden. I soooooo wanted to be Honey Wheeler!

Angela - Yep, there were - and are - some really great books out there. I love seeing him engrossed in reading, and I hope it's something that always stays with him.

morninglight mama - This one should get plenty of use, too -- I hope! He's definitely growing up. Way too fast.

AdriansCrazyLife March 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Hi. I'm finally getting around to visiting the friends who popped by during the Spring Fling. Thanks for visiting my blog! Cute site - I love your header.

Broken arm - what a pain. My boy broke his two weeks before the start of summer and had to have pins in it - yuck.

Michelle March 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Aidrian - I'm behind like you... but I still have them saved to visit :) Thanks btw on the compliment. I had nothing to do with it other than choosing it. I'm hoping Mr. Ortho tomorrow tells us all is good and we are cast free (after two weeks?). Wish us luck!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP