Monday, March 16, 2009

Thanks, Dad

Genetics are key. We all know that. Some traits are environmental. And there are some that are a combination of both.

For me, I know my sense of humor comes from my dad. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's nature or nurture, but I finally found out that not all people enjoy this humor. I was in high school when this dawned on me. Since then, our humor has been a great way for my dad and I to bond.

Oh. You want to know how I figured out this little gem?

Sadly, I still remember what brought this eye-opener to bear. We were sitting in our basement, and my parents had friends over, including their daughter who was my sister's age.

My Dad: So M (my sister) is now working for Byerly's. She's been doing a really good job there.
Other Dad: Really? That's great to hear.
MD: Yep. She started out as a bagger, but they moved her to the frozen yogurt stand because she was so great with people.
OD: You have to be awfully proud.
MD: Oh, I am. I am. If she keeps this up, if she keeps working hard and does such a great job, one day she might get promoted to the produce department.
OD: Oh? That's a step up from the yogurt stand?
MD: Of course! One day, she might even be top banana.

The silence was deafening. Except for my dad and I chortling. I still think it's funny.

And now I've just lost every one of my blog readers, haven't I?

16 comments:

Heather March 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

I chuckled!

bernthis March 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

I get that a lot, meaning that dead silence. Hey, it's part of being funny.

Ryan Ashley Scott March 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

Still here. :) That sounds like my best friend's dad - he's always cracking those kinds of jokes. I don't always get it right away, but give me a minute and I'll laugh.

Roxane March 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

actually you just gained one in me :) Thanks for the financial advice it's greatly appreciated!

Aubrey March 16, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

LOL
That was pretty funny! It got a good laugh out of me!

Unknown March 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

You can't get rid of me that easily. But I do sentence you to five atrocious puns just to make up for it.

Susie March 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM  

That is funny:-) I love a good pun joke!

Karen March 17, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

Top banana! Bwahahaha!!!

MaBunny March 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

I thought it was cute, but it is reminisent of some of my familys humor too, which doens' talwasy go off well...

Unknown March 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

I laughed!
Happy St Patrick's Day!

morninglight mama March 17, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

This is me giggling. ;)

Michelle March 17, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Heather - Thanks... I appreciate the solidarity :)

bernthis - Ohhhh. I missed that lesson in funny school. I feel better now.

Ryan Ashley Scott - Phew! Of course you said you'd laugh, not that you thought they were funny.

Roxane - Aww, now I have all warm fuzzies! Thanks.

Aubrey - I'm beginning to think that I just wasn't hanging out with the right people before.

Dan - Really? Do you really want me to go down that path? I can, ya know!

Susie - Glad you liked it.

Karen - Now *that* is the kind of reaction I was hoping for. I think.

MaBunny - Yeah... sometimes you have to just accept that some people's humor hasn't evolved (devolved?) enough to appreciate it.

MegRyansMom - And a happy St Patrick's Day to you, too! I hope everyone's wearing green today.

morninlight mama - A polite gigle, I'll assume?

Angela March 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

That's cute! I laughed too. And man, I probably haven't had a frozen yogurt (or frogurt as my husband calls it) in ten years. Last time I can remember it was college.

(Hmm....maybe the switch back to ice cream is why I've gained weight since college!?)

Michelle March 17, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

Angela - Yep, it's totally the ice cream vs yogurt. If you'd stuck with yogurt, the naturally slowing metabolism, working instead of running everywhere, and more money so nicer and more caloric food has nooooooothing to do with it. Nope, it was all the yogurt abandonment!

Cookie March 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

That is funny :)

Michelle March 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

Cookie - I'm beginning to think that possibly this joke was just ahead of its time.... That or you're all humoring me.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP