Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

I can't believe it's Tuesday again already. This last week has really flown. Probably because I spent much of it reading the 237 different blogs of people who commented on my featured SITS day. And then oh yeah, the Super Bowl.

Today is dedicated to the Super Bowl recap. I do have a recipe at the end if you want to cheat and scroll down, but I recommend that you drool over it all first. And yes, I realized this morning that I probably should have done this post last week so you all could have ideas for Sunday, but I didn't think that far ahead.

In the meantime, enjoy the recipes -- and go check out Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace for more fun recipes and kitchen tips!

We made guacamole. Mmmm, guacamole. I used seven avocados and had just a tiny bit left. I took it for lunch yesterday. I already have a craving for some more.



I made my "Italian" dip, too (it needs the quotes because I don't have a name for it yet -- suggestions?). It's really good with crackers and the baby carrots I set out with it. And luckily, I have a tiny bit of that left, too. I'm so eating that for a snack later today! This is the fastest appetizer I have, too. It only takes about ten minutes to put together.



Oh, and some really great caramel apple dip, too. It's not the typical one that's made with marshmallow fluff. It uses yogurt and cream cheese and is much lighter (read: you can eat more without feeling icky) than the one I'm used to. I promise to post it here soon. It's another one that comes together really quickly. It's meant for apples, but I always serve it with strawberries and fresh cut pineapple, too. This will be part of what Mister Man eats with lunch (dairy -- so Little Miss is out).

And of course, I finished off my bananas. Yes, I really finished them all off! There are NO more bananas in my house! I made my uncle's frosted banana bars, and man are they good. Even with all the food we ate -- and eat of my friends brought more from ham sandwiches to bagel dogs to twice baked potatoes to cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches and more -- we still attacked and ate about half the giant pan of banana bars. See?


So without further ado, here you go!

Frosted Banana Bars

Bars:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt

Frosting:
1 cup butter, softened
2 8 oz package cream cheese (16 oz total), softened
8 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas, and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool.


For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat well. Spread over bars.

Ok, technically, I doubled the frosting recipe (this is the doubled version here). When I made it the first time, I didn't have enough frosting to adequately spread on the 15 inch pan. I maybe could have done it with one and one half times the amount of frosting, but unless you cut down on the powdered sugar, your frosting is too thick and yummy to spread on top of the bars. And I promise, no one complained about this much frosting!

One suggestion. Before you bake, ensure you have enough of all your ingredients. After making pizza from scratch twice this week, dairy free banana cupcakes for Little Miss, banana bread and one other thing, I somehow was short of flour for this recipe.



While the batter was looking like this:



I was running to Dominick's hoping my double acting baking powder wasn't acting quite yet. Luckily for me, it wasn't!

On the plus side, I somehow had never used my Kitchen-Aid mixer for anything other than kneading bread dough. And I've owned this sucker for a long time. It's a classic. I've had it probably since around graduating from college. And I never used it to make batter. OMG. I am so infatuated with it now. I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. Duh!

Enjoy!

18 comments:

akawest February 3, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

The banana bars remind a bit of the banana flip snack cakes that we ate as children. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda February 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Those look great. I always like a cream cheese frosting.

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Wow, you have my mouth watering!
Those Banana Bars look amazing. YUM!

Mandy February 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Yum!
Good news, You won third prize (a sampler pack of English Toffe Anytime) in my gourmet toffee giveaway! Congrats! Send me and email w/ your address by the 5th and we'll get your toffee out by Valentines Day! Hooray!
-Mandy
mandyheaston(at)gmail(dot)com

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace February 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

I will be making the banana bars. Thanks.

Amber February 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

That does sound like a tastey Tuesday!! I love anything with bananas!!

Michelle February 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Lisa - Ooo, banana flip snack cakes. Those sound good! I may have to look something like that up.

Brenda - I'm with you on the cream cheese frosting. It makes everything better, doesn't it?

Christie - That's the goal. Yum pretty much sums it up!

Mandy - Cool beans. Thanks!

Lisa - Anytime. Let me know what you think of them!

Amber - Ooo, you should have been around me last when when I have my boatload of bananas. I can't believe they're finally gone!

shopannies - I hope you enjoy them. They're fun to make.

LRFK February 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

That sounds so yummy! A must try.

Leslie February 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM  

Hubby keeps saying he wants to get a Kitchen-Aid mixer. Maybe it's time...

Jenn February 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

It all looks so yummy..especially the frosted banana bars but I'd never get the chance to make them since my bunch goes through banana's like a family of monkeys! lol

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home February 4, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

Your banana bars look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Princess Abigail February 4, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Mega yum yum!
Looks irrisistibly delicious!
We don't have a Superbowl here in France, but I will use these recipes to entertain at the next Soccer World Cup!
Thanks for the tips!

Alison
The Bernard Bunch

Debbie February 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

I could just live on dip. I wouldn't be very healthy - but I'd be happy.

Kristen February 4, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Yumm you have some really good ones here. I'm so happy to have found this TMTT.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Barb February 4, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

Looks good. I make a mean avocado and tomato salad. Nice and spicy! Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Jill February 4, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

Yummy I am going to try the bannana bars! Thanks for the recipe!

Cookie February 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

Hey! Why wasn't I invited to your superbowl party?!?! I love guacamole!

Michelle February 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

LRFK - Ohhh, it is. The last little bit that's left is quickly disappearing!

JAM - Yep. It's time. I have loved using it for making bread for years, and now I'm obsessed with using it for everything else (ok obsessed might be a bit much, but it's SO much easier than a hand mixer)!

Jennifer - Ohhh, you just need to buy an entire bagful. I had 53 bananas last week, and those banana bars used the last of them!

Jerri - Of course! And they are awfully good. This is one of those recipes where I had it at a Fourth of July party and insisted that my uncle give me the recipe.

Princess Abigail - And hey, the good news is that since the World Cup lasts longer, there's no pressure to eat them all yourself after the first game!

Debbie - I'm with ya. I had that dip for lunch yesterday. Along with a slice of the banana bars. Yum!

Kristen - TMTT is definitely a lot of fun! No idea what I'm making next week, but we'll see what I cook up over the next few days.

Barb - Oooo, avocado and tomato salad. That sounds delicious, too! Those are two of my favorite foods. I'll be sending you an email to request that recipe in a moment.

Jill - They're good; just make sure you have a crowd to help you eat them. Orrrrr save them all for yourself!

Cookie - Ummm, how about because you live 2000 miles away? And because you're still bitter about Philly just playing rotten football? ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP