Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken And Dumplings

I can't believe it's already Tuesday. Fortunately, we've done some more cooking. This weekend, I made my mother in law's chicken and dumplings -- with my takes on it (e.g., no bouillion cubes for me!). My husband wasn't feeling too well, and you know what they say about chicken soup!

And I have to confess that when I first had chicken and dumplings (when my husband and I were engaged and visiting his family one weekend), I thought that they were supposed to be a soup. When my MIL put them on the table, let's just say everyone laughed at me when I expressed my surprise. Have I mentioned before that my mom didn't cook much when I was growing up?

In any case, they were great, and I've been a huge fan since. They're pretty easy to make, and they're a huge hit with everyone, including the wee ones -- and those are the best kinds of recipes!

For more yummy stuff, check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients:

5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 c low sodium chicken stock
4 egg yolks
2-3 c flour
1 t pepper

Directions:
Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the 5 chicken breasts and turn down to a simmer. Cook 20 to 25 minutes and remove the chicken. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.

Beat 4 egg yolks until fluffy (they will change color and turn a very light yellow). This will take about 2 minutes. Add 1 c of the broth to the eggs, being sure to temper the eggs (add a bit of broth at a time and stir well to bring the eggs up in temperature without scrambling them).

Add pepper and flour 1 c at a time. Mix with a fork until it forms a dough that is just slightly sticky but not dry (depending on humidity, it will be b/w 2 and 3 cups).

Roll out dough on lightly floured counter until about 1/4" thick. Cut into strips which will form your noodles (they can be as thin or thick and long or short as you choose). Drop them into broth that you have brought back to a boil a few at a time to avoid clumping. Cook until all dumplings have risen to the surface, then simmer a few minutes.

Add cut up chicken, stir and let the broth reduce until it's at a consistency you prefer (I like thick but still definitely with a sauce).

PS If you want to make it extra rich, add 1/4 cup of unsalted butter to the chicken broth after you've cooked the chicken and before you add it to the eggs to make the noodles.

Number of Servings: 10

(Pictures coming soon once I find my camera!)

Enjoy!

13 comments:

BloggessJ February 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Sound super yummy!

septembermom February 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Thanks for the great recipe! I think I'll try it for my crowd. Hopefully, some of my picky eaters will love it too!

3 Bay B Chicks February 24, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Saw your comment on Megryansmom blog this morning, Michelle.

I just wanted to stop by and say that if you make this dish for me and my family for dinner, I will totally clean your house. (Note that I don't vacuum, dust, or clean the bathroom. I am more of a "hose it down" type of girl.)

Do we have a deal?

-Wenda

Jenn February 24, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Chicken and Dumplins is definitely part of our southern cooking but, I've never made it with a batter using eggs...just my normal homemade biscuits. I'll try it like this and see what we get...maybe tomorrow! thanks

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace February 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

I love chicken and dumplings. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Unknown February 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

That sounds really yummy and I might even be able to make it. I'm no Betty Crocker.

Unknown February 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

Wenda was here!

Brenda February 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

Add butter to the chicken broth?! Sounds great, but I have never heard of that!

Anna Lefler February 24, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Oh, chicken and dumplings are the BEST!

Awesome!

:^) Anna

Michelle February 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Jamie - Ohhh it is. And to think I went through so many years of my life having never tried chicken and dumplings.

septembermom - It's perfect for a crowd. We still have some leftovers from Monday night :)

3 Bay B Chicks - Hmm. Well, I'd totally cook if you'd clean, but hosing? That's sorta my thing. How about laundry? Can we agree on laundry?

Jennifer - Now I'm trying to figure out how you do this with biscuits. Do you boil them in the broth like I do the noodles?

Lisa - Thanks, enjoy yours, as well!

Megryansmom - Trust me, if my mother in law can successfully make this, ANYone can make it. She of the burned bacon and tasteless muffins from a mix and rubbery scrambled eggs and....

Brenda - That's what one of my friends said when I asked how she did hers dairy free... I did it without this time, and my husband could definitely tell the difference!

Anna - Yup, they totally rock. And they're TOTALLY not a soup. Ahem.

Live.Love.Eat February 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

This is one dish my MIL makes & my hubs loves that I have not tried to duplicate yet.

Debbie February 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

That sounds like a keeper!

Michelle February 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

Live.Love.Eat. - You should try it. It's one of those old-fashioned recipes that really sticks with you. In a good way.

Debbie - Yep, just like my husband (all together now, awwwwww). Let me know if you try it.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP