Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sharing The Giggles

On Monday, Mister Man was explaining Groundhog's Day to me. So Mommy, if the groundhog -- his name is Phillip by the way -- sees his shadow, he runs back into his hole and hides. I think maybe he gets some hot chocolate, too. BUT if he doesn't see his shadow, he stays outside and parties. And that means that spring is just around the square.

Eh. Square, corner. Same diff, really, right? And who knew groundhogs drink hot chocolate?

*******************************

My mom is famous for teaching me and my sister the incorrect lyrics to words. For some reason, they just don't stick in her head. Lately, Mister Man is on a huge Spiderman kick. He's five. And he got a Superhero Matching Game for Christmas. And my husband now shows him episodes of the 1967 Spiderman cartoon (it's worth looking up on YouTube) before bed.

My parents joined us for dinner the other night. For whatever reason, my mom burst out into song:

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can! Is he black? Is he white? He's not afraid of the night!

She didn't understand why the whole table burst out laughing. What? What? What's so funny? You can imagine where our conversation went after that one.

********************************************

Little Miss came running off the bus today, singing (yep, uh-oh). And apparently this is the song she chose to sing today at preschool for the rest of her friends, too.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go. Walking in your winter underwear.

Yep, a) those are two totally separate songs, b) she's carrying on my mother's penchant for mangling lyrics and c) well, just picture it. And yes, let me repeat that she sang this for her entire preschool class today.

*******************************************

I've been at the wee one's preschool since November 1, 2006. I've been in conversations with them since late August of 2006. Their staff hasn't changed. I'm the PTO president this year and in regular contact with them.

On Monday, I sent an email to the principal and my executive board with the proposed agenda for our PTO meeting on Tuesday. I typed in the email addresses and sent it off.

A moment later, I had the email bounce back to me. The principal's mail hadn't gone through. Huh. I looked at the email thinking I must have typed the domain incorrectly. Nope, as complicated as those school email addesses are, it was right.

Then I took a look at the name part of the email (what's that called, anyway?). bjohnson. Yep, that's her alright. bjohnson@schooldistrict.org is spelled right, the domain is right -- what's the problem? Why is the stupid thing bouncing back?

After silently cursing the gods of the internet for two or three minutes, it finally dawned on me. Her last name isn't Johnson. Her last name isn't even of the same ethnicity as Johnson. It still starts with a J, but it's not Johnson.

Yep. My brain is officially gone. I can't even remember the name of my principal anymore. I can't wait to see what else I messed up without realizing it. Wheeee!

So what's making you laugh today?

10 comments:

Kori February 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Those kids and your Mom are hilarious. I loved the winter underwear song. Priceless.

Debbie February 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

What funny stories! I love the walking in the winter underwear.

MaBunny February 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Um, I've been laughing today because I'm turning into a complete loon - if ONE thing more goes wrong, I may just go full loony;)
"Their coming to take me away - haha, hoho, hehe, to the funny farm - where life is pleasant all the time!"

Karen February 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Phillip has quite the mystery life that I didn't know about. You'd think I'd be more up on my groundhog lore, being from PA and all.

Jewel Allen February 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

I love that part about the groundhog. Why shouldn't Punx. Phil have hot chocolate like the rest of the revelers??

I laughed today with my daughter and some other girls while they played basketball :-)

anymommy February 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

I missed you (my bad, not yours, I've been flying on airplanes). Thanks for the giggles.

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 12:37 AM  

You have me laughing! I needed that.

Michelle February 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Kori - It really is, isn't it? You know, if I could make this stuff up, I'd be rich!

Debbie - Yep, that's my personal favorite. Except when she's loudly sharing it with everyone around us.

MaBunny - Oh I remember that song! I can definitely relate, and I hope your day gets better soon!

Karen - Yeah, aren't you supposed to be the expert? I love how he became formalized from the usual Phil you hear about.

Pink Ink - I suppose that Phil deserves that hot chocolate after being so rudely awakened and shoved out into the cold. I know I could use some!

anymommy - Oh, Stacey, we missed you, too. Glad you made it home safely, and glad you got a giggle, too!

Christie - I know the feeling. I needed a giggle yesterday myself. And I could use a few today, too!

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Great stories. Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting on my recipe for dessert cake made with ice cream sandwiches. It is really rich but oh so good and your little people could help make it. It is very forgiving and you can make it in an 8x8 and adjust it down. Check in again sometime. You have great site. blessings.

Michelle February 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Jean - Thank you! I hope you come back again soon. That cake does sound awfully good. And yes, rich, but that's ok... I'd rather have a little of something truly good than eat a bunch of something I don't really care for!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP