Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ahhhh, To Be Five Again!

I remember learning my first joke when I was a kid. To this day, I remember what that joke was. It absolutely cracked me up. I don't think it amused others quite as much. Maybe the first time, but not the twentieth.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Me: What time is it when the elephant sits on the fence?
My Dad: I don't know. What time?
Me: Time to get a new fence!
My Dad: Oh, that's funny. Good joke, Michelle!
Me: What time is it when the elephant sits on the fence?
My Dad: Time to get a new fence?
Me: Nope. Three o'clock.
My Dad: Ummm, ok.
Me: What time is it when the elephant sits on the fence?
My Dad: Uhh, three o'clock?
Me: Nope! Eight thirty!

And it went on and on. While I got that it was a joke, I didn't quite get jokes.

Mister Man is of the age when he loves jokes and loves telling jokes. At the chiropractor yesterday, I heard this one.

Mister Man: Knock knock.
Me: Who's there?
Mister Man: Pirate!
Me: Pirate who?
Mister Man: Pirate in the face?
Me: Uhhh, ok.

To the physical therapist....

Mister Man: Knock knock.
PT: Who's there?
Mister Man: Pirate!
PT: Pirate who?
Mister Man: Pirate in the face. Pschhh! I just threw a pie at you!
Me: Ohhhhh! Pie right in the face!
Mister Man: Yeah, that's what I said.

I suppose it was.... Now it's kind of funny. The PT had a joke of her own.

PT: What's Beethoven's favorite fruit?
Mister Man: Strawberries!
PT: Nope. Want to guess again?
Mister Man: Kiwi!
PT: Nope, it's bah-nah-nah-nahhhhhh!
Mister Man: Are you sure it isn't strawberries?

He wasn't impressed. I thought it was pretty good. At least we know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mister Man: What time is it when the elephant sits on the fence?
My Dad: (heh, sucker!) I don't know. What time?
Mister Man: Time to get a new fence!
My Dad: Good one, Mister Man.
Mister Man: What time is it when the dinosaur sits on the fence?
My Dad: What time?
Mister Man: Time to get a new fence!
My Dad: Ahhh....
Mister Man: What time is it when the crocodile sits on the watch?
My Dad: I don't know. What time?
Mister Man: Time to get a new watch!

And it went on and on and on.... On the plus side, he seems to have a tiny bit better idea of how jokes work than I did at his age!

4 comments:

Amanda February 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

hahaha, that took me back. All of those jokes we had as kids were great!

and apparently there are pretty timeless too!!

Hope you had a great weekend! (even if it was only 50 outside, but hey, 50 is better than 30!!) =)

Young Momma February 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

LOL! That's great! The most hilarious part is that MY little guy was telling a knock knock joke right as I opened your blog!!!! lol! Love this age!

Debbie February 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

The bad joke age was always a difficult one for me! It is hard to laugh at some of those jokes, isn't it?

Michelle February 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Amanda - I don't know that "timeless" was quite the adjective I was going to use, but ... it's probably pretty close!

Young Momma - Hey, at least I'm in good company with my bad jokes! It is definitely a fun age.

Debbie - Yep. I completely refuse actually for some of them. Groaning on the other hand....

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP