Friday, February 27, 2009

Master Manipulator

Sometimes, I'm that mom. You know, the one who lets her kids do things that seem all harmless fun for me but that other parents cringe at, hoping against hope that their kids don't notice what mine are doing.

Let me give you an example.

Today, the wee ones had no school (again), so we spent our morning at the Kohl's Children's Museum again. We always have a great time, and the membership makes the price right!

One of the Little Miss's favorite things to do is get her face painted. She likes for me to paint it for her, poor dear. My artistic skills leave a bit to be desired. Fortunately, she's happy with the butterfly that I painted. It's really that or a happy face.




The problem came in when she noticed what Mister Man was doing. For the first time ever (and this leads me to think that possibly everything we've been doing for the past four years is really having an impact on his development and sensory issues, yay!), he wanted his face painted, and he did it all himself while I was helping Little Miss.



He calls that masterpiece "Two Face" after the villain. We're way into superheroes right now. You'll notice that one half of his face is all scary and painted up and the other is totally normal. You'll also notice that he chose - of his own volition with no prompting from me - a gorgeous Vikings sweatsuit to wear today.

And in our family, of course.... Monkey See, Monkey Do.



The problem came in when Little Miss decided it would be fun to paint my face, too. Since I have nowhere I need to be for the rest of the day and it is water soluble crayon (read: very easily removable), what's the harm?

I'll admit that I did have a moment of paranoia that with my face painted this way I'd get pulled over on the way home and have to explain my face to a police officer, but I didn't let that deter me. She spent a good ten or so minutes fixing my face up right. See?



As we were leaving, Little Miss decided she had to go potty (yay, good girl!). As we were washing our hands, a girl around five or so said to her mom:

Wow, so mommies can get their faces painted, too?
Her Mom: Well, I guess so.
Little Girl: Can I paint your face, Mommy?
Her Mom: Not today, but maybe next time.
Little Girl: Why not?
Her Mom: We're in the process of leaving right now, so we don't have time to do it today.
Little Girl: Please?
Her Mom: Not today. We've had such a good day playing in the museum and having so much fun.
Little Girl: But my day would be so much better if I could just paint your face!
Her Mom: Nice try. The answer's still no.

And that whole time? I'm the one cringing hoping that Little Miss isn't picking up the techniques to try to manipulate people. I'm not so concerned about her manipulating me, but ... let's just say that her grandparents are a bit more susceptible.



18 comments:

morninglight mama February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Wow-- he got his face painted!! Glad to know that you all had a fun experience, and don't sweat the other family-- the girl will get over it. :)

septembermom February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

You're a good sport! It's great that you join in the fun with your kids. Hey, think of yourself as the fun mom in the neighborhood. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. The kids look cute in the pictures! Fun way to spend the day.

MaBunny February 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

looks like you had fun! and she did a lovely job on your face! why wouldn't you have wanted to explain that to a policeman?

anymommy February 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Nice job little miss, mom looks stunning. And yay for mr. man taking a step forward. (I'm with him, I hate the feeling of face paint.)

Sarah February 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

LOL - good job for letting her paint your face! you have to be the coolest mom. I'm not sure I would have let my little ones, but would kick myself later while thinking "why not?"

Susie February 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM  

That is so true! I would let my daughter's get theirs done too:-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments. I hope to see you back there soon:-)

Jill February 28, 2009 at 12:06 AM  

Michelle you did what I would do! I am a sucker for kids! This was so funny. Aren't you glad you get to blog about these funny moments. At least they aren't painting with sharpy markers like mine did to herself.

bernthis February 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM  

try being divorced. It's hard not to feel manipulated no matter how young they are

Michelle February 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

morninglight mama - I know! Can you believe it? I wonder how much of it was finally just seeing all the other kids doing it and me not saying a word while I did Little Miss's face....

septembermom - Defintely a fun way to spend the day... and I like the thought of being the fun one ;) Until I take over my title of mean mom again.

MaBunny - It was bad enough explaining that to the solicitor who came to my door later in the afternoon. That was fun.

anymommy - Right... stunning. She has a career in impressionism.

Sarah - Heh. Coolest mom. I'm going to remember that for when I get the whining thrown in my face.

Susie - Glad you're out there with me! And when we were putting our coats on after going potty, I did see a mom who had been sitting next to me with a kitty face drawn on her. Ahhhh... peer pressure!

Jill - Ouch. Yeah... they don't know what Sharpies are, luckily. I am thinking I should just get the crayons to face paint at home for fun (and birthday parties).

bernthis - Eek. I didn't even think of that aspect. I don't envy you.

-Bridget February 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Good for you for joining in on the fun. I don't think they need any help in learning to manipulate. Reagan is a master without any role model at all. It seems to be in her genes.

Angela February 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

I think it's great that you participated! Some of my most fun memories (at least the ones that stand out as I age, LOL) are times when my parents bent the rules so that we could do or experience something that would not usually happen. looks like you guys had a great morning!

Anna Lefler February 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Love the face pictures!

And I wouldn't worry - I think kids are natural manipulators...but not in a sinister way.

The way I do it - that's the sinister way.

;^) Anna

Michelle February 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

-Bridget - Little Miss is the same way. She needs no lessons, and I'm afraid of what will happen if she gets some! At least we aren't alone, right?

Angela - I hope the wee ones remember times like this. We definitely have fun together more often than not. It's nice to spend time together without being stressed about one thing or another!

Michelle February 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Anna - I'm glad you like them. The guy who came to my door soliciting something yesterday was a little taken aback! I think I'm afraid to ask what your way is....

angela | the painted house March 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

What a fun mommy! I see a makeup artist in your family. :)

Michelle March 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Angela - I'm thinknig maybe Amy Winehouse's makeup artist... beyond that it's still up in the air ;)

Melisa Wells March 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Nice face. :)

You're a fun mommy!

Michelle March 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Melisa - Yeah, I think so, too. And I'm just a fun mommy not a fun and cool person all around? Gee, thanks!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP