Monday, November 15, 2010

Why, Yes I Am Superstitious; I'm A Sports Fan

This past Saturday, I went to the Northwestern Iowa football game with three of my girlfriends, as my husband was out of town on a Boy Scout camping trip with Mister Man. We had a blast, but ... it wasn't always easy.

After we tailgated with some mutual friends, we headed inside the stadium to our seats. I broke out my chamois and wiped down our seats, as it was raining. Then I ushered my friends past me to their seats. Because I sit on the far left. Every game.

Just like I wear the same shirt. And earrings. And necklace. And I get a venti nonfat caramel macchiato from Starbucks. I was a little worried because with my husband out of town, I had to go get it instead of him, and I wasn't sure how that would impact anything.

As the game wore on, things looked good. Northwestern was leading 7-3 at halftime. That's when my friend on the other end of our group switched seats with the friend sitting next to me. She isn't much of a football fan, and she had gotten slightly wet and was cold sitting on the end of our group. When she sat down next to me, I told her that she might have to move back to her old seat, then we continued our conversation.

As Iowa scored a touchdown early in the third quarter to take the lead 10-7, I looked at my friend and told her, "Anabel isn't long for this seat." She laughed and told me the young Hawkeye fan ahead of us had turned around with a shocked look because he actually believed me.

We then had a five minute back and forth with me trying to explain to her that I actually was serious. If she had disturbed the flow of the game by moving seats, she'd have to go back to her original seat to ensure Northwestern could win. She still didn't think I was serious - partly because I was laughing at the fact that she couldn't comprehend sports superstitions.

When the Hawkeyes scored again to make it 17-7, I told her that as much as I loved her, she needed to go back to her original seat. It had stopped raining and wasn't cold anymore - plus she had a nice fan sitting on the other side to keep her warm. And yes, she still had our other friends sitting next to her to talk to.

Yes, it's silly. I'll fully admit that. Sports are full of superstitions, and I have my ... share of them, too. But hey, once she moved, Northwestern picked off Ricky Stanzi and scored a touchdown. After holding Iowa, they scored another touchdown. And held Iowa again. And won the game.

Good to know that if I have to get my own caramel macchiato on game days, it doesn't impact the final score. Interestingly, this was also a weekend in which my husband didn't mention the words "bowl game" (they've been banned from my house), and they finally turned around their losing streak....

So do you think I'm utterly nuts now? (PS No, my friend doesn't hate me and wasn't mad, but she does think I'm a goofball. Fortunately, we're both ok with that. Right, Anabel?)



Current Giveaways:
Activeion ionator HOM $180RV here
Fiber One Prize Pack including a $25 gift card here
InchBug Bumpy Orbit Labels here
MASTERMIND and Animal Mastermind Towers board games here

8 comments:

septembermom November 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

You're a dedicated fan :) Not a goofball!

Hyacynth November 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

lol! You crack me up. I'm noting this in the chance we can actually go next time you ask us to join you at a game. ;)

Hyacynth November 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudya Martinez November 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

I think it all adds a bit of fun to the experience.

Michelle November 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Kelly - And you are a flatterer. But I'll take it!

Hyacynth - I will definitely make sure there is an invite for a game next year... hopefully with more notice this time!

Unknown Mami - I'm with you. It's a much better way to get involved than actually getting on the field, right? ;)

Annabelle November 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

You spelled my name wrong. I spell it with an E.

I believe you had threatened to blog about my suggestion that the quarterback needed to take 3 deep breaths and count to 10 after he got the penalty flag........I didn't know you were going to blog about my bad luck! ;)

And I already thought you were a goofball. This just confirmed my earlier suspicions.

Susie November 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

LOL! It's a routine not nutty! That way you won't forget anything:-) Hee, hee, hee!!

Michelle November 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Annabelle - Welll that's how I would have spelled it had Mister Man been a girl. We didn't discuss spelling :) (See, I really do change all my names.)

Susie - Ahhhh to keep me from forgetting anything. Now *that* I like. Phew!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP