Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tasty Tuesday! - Homemade Sweet Potato Fries

The wee ones have been expanding their palates lately, which thrills me to no end. I love seeing them try new foods and - more times than not - liking them, too. When I find something they like, I want to make it for them so that they don't "forget" they like it, which sometimes happens.

When at Trader Joe's recently, the wee ones sampled sweet potato fries and loved them. I love that they're healthy, especially since we don't fry them. But why buy them frozen and ready to cook when they're so easy to make?

Good question. In fact, I haven't....

Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients:
Sweet potato(es)
Salt
Pepper*
Garlic powder*

*Optional. It tastes better with them, but it's too much spice for the wee ones right now.


Directions:
Julienne your sweet potatoes after washing them. Use a mandoline if you have it; otherwise just cut them into slices lengthwise then turn the slices flat and cut those lengthwise to make matchsticks. Note: two potatoes is about right for my family, with a little bit of leftovers.


Boil water, and add the sweet potato sticks. Parboil them for 2-3 minutes only.


Lay them flat on a baking sheet on a sil pat (or parchment paper). Sprinkle lightly with salt and any other spices you would like (the wee ones are good with just the salt part for now).

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and serve warm. Watch them disappear!



Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!



Current Giveaways:
$50 77kids gift certificate here
Little Wonders Company personalized hardcover book here
$25 Build-A-Bear Workshop gift card here

8 comments:

Claudya Martinez November 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

I love sweet potato fries with a little bit of cayenne pepper. Yum!

Anonymous November 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Your a godsent! I wanted to make some this week after having some at a restaurant upstate! YUM!

I'm so glad you posted this! YAY!

Pat November 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

I tried making these before, but left out the parboiling, and they were too hard after baking, so now I'm gonna try this recipe. Another winner from you!

Hyacynth November 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

I will have to try your recipe! And maybe I can give you mine?
Three sweet potatoes.
Cut into fries.
1 T of olive oil
1/4 t of chilli powder
1/4 t of cinnamon
Mix together with fries.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

SO good. Trust me. You will love it.

Tara R. December 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

These are my favorite side for barbecue. They are good with a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper too.

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

Unknown Mami - Mmmm spicy! Those ones are good, too, but ummm 1 splash of Tabasco in a giant pot of soup rendered it inedible for Mister Man a few weeks ago. *sigh*

Patty - So glad I could help. They're so yummy and healthy and soooo easy, too!

Pat - Whenever I make/bake fries, I always parboil to get them fluffy on the inside. I did convection and wasn't paying super attention so actually burned a few of these but even then they weren't crunchy or hard. Go fig!

Hyacynth - Of course you can share yours! I love the idea of the cinnamon with the chili powder. I can see I'm going to have to make ME batches and wee ones batches.

Tara - Oh so perfect for barbeque - which interestingly is one kind of food I absolutely do not make at ALL myself. Why, I'm not sure.

septembermom December 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

Love sweet potatoes. This sounds easy for me. Thanks Michelle!

Michelle December 6, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

Kelly - It's super easy, and you can skip the parboiling, but it helps make them fluffy inside. Mister Man is asking every day when he finds sweet potatoes when I'm making them for him again.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP