Friday, November 26, 2010

So What Did *Your* Family Do Yesterday?

Thanksgiving is a funny time. It's when families far and wide come together to celebrate and give thanks, but ... it isn't ever a completely smooth time. There's always someone who drinks too much or someone who picks a fight or says the wrong thing. There's always someone who doesn't acknowledge someone else or another ... special moment.

The same is true for my family, and I'm still chortling inside this morning. My mom hosted Thanksgiving, as no one from my generation has yet been allowed to host a major holiday. We all (and I mean all 22 of us) bring a dish to share, but my mom does the majority of the work. This year, she had two turkeys and a huge ham, in addition to all the other dishes.

I was helping her in the kitchen before the meal when I heard an odd hissing sound and turned around. I saw my mom doing something ... unspeakable to a poor turkey. Once she'd finished her mission, I checked the can myself and simply shook my head.

My uncle wandered into the kitchen a moment later. As he enjoys food - and cooking - as do I, I figured he'd appreciate the humor of it. I picked up the can and showed it to him.

So... guess what my mom is using to baste the turkey this year, I smiled.

No. She isn't - couldn't - be using.... that, he backed away with a concerned look on his face.

Oh, but she is. I just saw her spraying the turkey with it.

He didn't believe me. Honestly, had I not witnessed it myself, I would not have believed it myself. Fortunately, my mom chose that moment to walk back into the kitchen.

My uncle approached her casually. So I hear you're using ... this to baste the turkey this year?

With barely a glance at the can, she replied, Yep, it's working really well. It's so much easier!

My uncle spluttered a moment, but really what can you say in response to that? Oh, I didn't mention what she was using to baste the turkey? That she was spraying on the hot turkey as it continued to cook? Why that would be the imitation butter flavored nonstick cooking spray, of course. Isn't that what you use?

So what fun did you experience at your Thanksgiving celebration?



Current Giveaways:
InchBug Bumpy Orbit Labels here
MASTERMIND and Animal Mastermind Towers board games here

$50 77kids gift certificate here
Little Wonders Company personalized hardcover book here
$25 Build-A-Bear Workshop gift card here

16 comments:

Susie November 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

We were at a water park yesterday! Talk about low stress holiday:-)

Claudya Martinez November 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Well, as long as it was working really well.

Sandra November 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

What? You mean Pam cooking spray isn't for basting the bird?...uh oh! :)

Britt Michaelian November 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

I love these fun stories about Thanksgiving mishaps. One thing is for sure... T Day is not about perfection. So, let's embrace that and have fun with it!;)

Mrs4444 November 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

That's really funny. We're all about the full-fat versions of everything around here... :)

Melisa Wells November 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

You should really come with me next year. Dinner out, no prep, no cleanup, no drama. LOVED IT. ;)

Melissa B. November 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

We had a fairly low-key Turkey Day. No "imitation butter" controversies, at any rate. Of course, we celebrated at my daughter's in Madison, Wisconsin, and I would have been excommunicated from the family if I'd used anything other than Land o' Lakes!

Pat November 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

That is hilarious! Actually, an acquaintance told me she sprays the butter-flavored spray on uncooked peeled, sliced yams to be baked on a cookie sheet, but not on hot food!

Joanna Jenkins November 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

now THAT is a first for me-- I never heard of using cooking spray on a turkey. I guess you really can learn something new :-)
Cheers, jj

WeaselMomma November 29, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

We smoked our turkey, but it didn't get US baked.

Jenn M November 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

Haha that's too funny. Well we had Cdn thanksgiving a month ago and I can honestly say - we didn't use pam. Maybe next year .... ;)

Jenn M November 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

Haha that's too funny. Well we had Cdn thanksgiving a month ago and I can honestly say - we didn't use pam. Maybe next year .... ;)

Together We Save November 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Oh my.... that is so funny, I host thanksgiving every year but I am a wimp, I pay a local business $10 to cook it.

Michelle November 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Susie - Seriously? That is an AWESOME Thanksgiving. I love it!

Unkonwn Mami - Fortunately nothing blew up. Spraying aerosol into a hot place isn't exactly recommended.

Sandra - Ummmm, yeah....

Britt - So do I. I love hearing the entertaining (and I mean entertaining NOT mean spirited) incidents.

Mrs4444 - So am I. I'd far rather have a little of some real food than the fake foods.

Melisa - You have no idea how tempted I am. Next year is STL with the in laws, too ;)

Melissa - Yeah, somehow I don't see imitation butter going over well in Madison!

Pat - Bingo. You got the hot part of it that was a major concern.

Joanna - I don't think you really learned anything there. At least nothing you want to know....

WeaselMomma - Mmmm a smoked turkey. Now *that* sounds good!

Jenn - I think you might want to stick with your more traditional basting. Just a suggestion.

Denise - That's reasonable. I like the low stress aspect of it. And the lack of dishes!

septembermom December 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

That's a fun Thanksgiving! We kept it small and I managed to get all the food on the table (which is a big feat for me).

Michelle December 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Kelly - All the food on the table is a chore for just about everyone, I think. We need more ovens ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP