Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesday!

Last week, I had a blast with Andrea Metcalf and her N@ked Fitness event. Amanda Skrip gave a demo on all sorts of things you can do with hummus. Lots and lots of things that I hadn't thought of, including making a super healthy salad dressing with it.

One of the recipes Amanda shared with us - and I love that they are non-recipe recipes, which are my favorite kind - really struck my fancy. As I had a potluck to attend the next night where I'd been asked to bring appetizers, voila!

Riffing on California Rolls - tweaked from Amanda Skrip

Ingredients:
2 Flatout wraps (or other healthy tortilla like material)
1/4 c hummus (I used red pepper, but find a flavor you like)
1/2 cucumber*
3/4 avocado
1 roma tomato*
1/4 carrot, grated
1/2 c baby spinach leaves
salt

Directions:
Start out by preparing your cucumber. If you use an English cucumber (the one in plastic wrap), you can skip the first step. First, seed your cucumber. Julienne it into nice, even strips. Especially if you are not using an English cucumber, salt the cucumber and place them on a paper towel to drain. You want to get out as much water as possible, so let them sit for a half hour or so.

Halve your tomato and seed it, as well. Lightly salt it and turn it upsidedown on a cookie sheet for a half hour so it can also dry out a little bit.

Lay your Flatout Wrap (I like these because of their shape and how healthy they are) and spread a layer of hummus on it, leaving about a half inch from one of the long edges clean.

Add slices of avocado atop the hummus, then lay on the cucumber and tomatoes in a thin layer. Place the spinach leaves atop the other layers before you begin rolling up your wrap starting with the long end - you want a long, skinny (ok, skinnier) wrap v a shorter, fatter one.

Use a serrated knife to slice your roll into pieces. I got five good size pieces from each wrap, with the ends cut off to make it look pretty. Set the rolls on a plate on their sides. Sprinkle with the grated carrot and serve immediately.

The best part? Add ingredients you like. Take out ones you don't have in the fridge. Change it up, and enjoy it a little different each time. And trust me, you will enjoy it!


Yum! Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!



Current Giveaways:
Family Taco Night prize pack here
Family pass to the Chicago Toy and Game Fair in Chicago November 20 or 21 here
Activeion ionator HOM $180RV here

5 comments:

Hyacynth November 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

Oh, they look so fabulous -- great presentation. And anything with hummus is a winner in my book. {I've been making my own with fun flavors, and the kids scarf it.}

septembermom November 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Those look so pretty. Can you believe that I need to try hummus too? I think I'm way too sheltered. LOL.

Michelle November 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

Hy - I was proud. I'm usually not so good on the presentation side of things. And I really do need to make my own hummus. I've been lazy.

Kelly - Don't they? And how have you not had hummus before? Go. Buy some. Enjoy it!

Pat November 10, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

This is another recipe of yours I've saved! It sounds scrumptious.

Michelle November 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Pat - You are so kind! And this was a perfect appetizer. I'm making it again tomorrow for when I'm hosting bunco! And if there are leftovers... oh well! :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP