Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bye-Bye Pull-Ups!

I've written frequently, fifteen posts to be specific, about potty training. Specifically I've written a ton about Little Miss and our potty training issues and challenges. Part of it is simply that Little Miss has a lot of personality.

Though Little Miss has been potty trained during the day since she was two and a half. Nighttime though has been a completely different issue. She simply hasn't stayed dry, as many tactics as we've tried. She's now well past her sixth birthday and still wearing Pull-Ups that are soaked through each morning. Honestly, she just doesn't care. And I decided that it's not a big deal. At some point, kids in school will let her know that it's just not ok to still be in Pull-Ups, and what child goes to college with Pull-Ups? Until that day, she stays in Pull-Ups because I've seen the consequences of leaving them off and done far too much laundry because of it.

Recently, I had a meeting to go to that I couldn't escape. It was an evening meeting, and my husband was coaching, so a sitter was on her way to my house. I had to get the wee ones into bed before she arrived and would have just enough time to do so. As I was finishing up with Mister Man, Little Miss ran up to me.

Mommy, I'm out of Pull-Ups! she exclaimed excitedly, expecting me to have them magically reappear in her drawer, I'm guessing.

Sweetie, I have to leave in five minutes. I can't do anything for you. I have a meeting tonight, and your sitter will be here in five minutes. Remember how we've talked about how you need to tell me when you're starting to get low on Pull-Ups (one of the problems with an older child in Pull-Ups is that said child independently gets them for herself) instead of when you're out? You're sort of stuck tonight, I explained as gently as I could while internally bemoaning the additional laundry I would have to do the next morning.

But Mommy, I have no Pull-Ups left, she repeatedly, perhaps thinking my answer would change.

Sorry, Peanut. You're going to have no choice tonight. I can't get Pull-Ups tonight because the stores will be closed by the time I get home. You must stay dry tonight. Got it?

Ok, Mommy, she smiled at me sweetly.

And amazingly, she was dry the next morning. For the first time, my waking her up at 10:30pm had an impact. I heaved a sigh of relief. She had no school that day, so after we dropped Mister Man at his school, I headed to Costco with her to run some errands.

Ok, Peanut, I explained as we walked into Costco, we can get Pull-Ups now so that you have them to wear tonight.

She looked at me like I'd grown a third head. Mommy, I'm done with Pull-Ups. I don't need them anymore, she snorted at me disdainfully.

I looked at her and shook my head. I suppose I'll take one night of potential laundry in the hopes that I won't have to buy another $30 pack of Pull-Ups. And you know what? She was right. She stayed dry. We continued to wake her up an hour or two after bedtime for several weeks afterwards to ensure that we could help her get into the habit. Though we had two nights where she didn't make it to the potty recently, she's now begun to wake herself up to go.

And I think we're finally done with Pull-Ups. And yes, this is the post that I've been putting off writing because I'm afraid to jinx myself. And if I have sheets to wash tomorrow, I know who to blame.


7 comments:

Cher December 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

Yeah! I too am writing a potty post too, both my boys are potty trained - now to just work on Olivia! (Although at 5 months old I think I should give her a little bit more time!)

Melisa Wells December 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

FINALLY, right? Go her! (and you!)

Great pic of her, too!!

Tami December 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Potty training is different for each child. Some can do it early, some not.. Some have to decide on their own time and not when the parent is read. Good for your little one! She sure looks proud in her picture.

Sandra December 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM  

Yay, for her and you! And she did it by herself! I'm sure that's one scoff from your child you were happy to hear. They're ready when you least expect it!

Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

That's awesome! Go Lil Miss :)

Michelle December 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM  

Cher - Yeah, you might want to give her a little more time. The only reason Little Miss did it as soon as she did is because my mom started it without me. #grumble

Melisa - I KNOW. That was one of my Christmas photos that I tried taking the other night. She photographs well.

Tami - Absolutely! Mister Man was a late potty trainer, but he went from diapers to dry day and night in a 24 hour period when he did it. And Little Miss? You can't force her to do ANYthing.

Sandra - They really are. I'd been looking into getting a cloth version of a pull-up because I hated the waste and the cost and such, thinking maybe if she felt it, it would help. I never found one to fit her well though.

Patty - I know. She is pretty awesome, isn't she? She's all ready for sleep overs now ;)

Pat December 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

Hip, hip, hooray for Little Miss! I had the same feeling of exhilaration when my son stopped wetting the bed at age 12. What a relief!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP