Thursday, December 15, 2011

Third Time's The Charm?

Today was Little Miss's holiday program. Nope, not a Christmas program - in fact, not one song sung mentioned Christmas or Santa or anything along those lines, although one song was a Hanukkah song, which made me giggle. The notes home from the teachers request that we send out children in their Sunday best - though with no need to buy new clothes - and the assurance that they would not play outside and thus risk harm to their spotless outfits.

Last year was a challenge. In Chicago, it had snowed a lot and the children had to wear snowpants and boots just to get to school. I had dress Little Miss in a Christmas dress and carefully styled her hair.

As I watched the other grades come on stage and perform, I patiently waited for Little Miss to appear. So many of the children had beautiful outfits and gorgeously dressed hair. I was jealous of the sparse hair Little Miss still had in kindergarten, but at least she'd look good with what she had. As her class trooped onto the stage, I heard my mother gasp next to me.

WHY is she wearing those shoes? my mother demanded in an angry whisper. I could only shake my head and shrug. Oops? I think I had told her to pack her change of shoes in her backpack but hadn't been clear on which shoes those should be. She was still cute.


This year, things were to be different. I offered Little Miss a choice of two different dresses she could wear, and she chose a cute red one with Christmas trees and such on it. I had her go back upstairs and find a headband to make her hair look cute, then brushed it for her again. I went so far as to send her hairbrush with her to school so she could brush it again before the performance - like my hair, hers tends to look like it's never seen a brush five minutes after brushing. Though it hasn't truly snowed in Chicago yet, it did pour rain yesterday, so I sent Little Miss to school in her "show boots" and ensured that her party shoes were in her backpack. I reminded her to change into them once she got to school. I swear I did.

Unfortunately, I think my mom repeated herself word for word. Well, almost word for word. I'm pretty sure she switched out "boots" for "shoes" since well, she is wearing boots this year.


On the plus side, she wasn't the only one wearing boots, I noticed. And there was a part in the song where she had to do a rolling motion that I think explains a nightmare she woke up with a few weeks ago.

There's always next year, right?

11 comments:

Tara R. December 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

Aww... the boots look cute.

Tami December 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM  

Shame on that mother who commented on your daughters shoes! My goodness, where are her manners and compassion? It's not what you wear that makes a person who they are. And her boots are very cute with the dress!

Not a Perfect Mom December 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM  

eh, at least she was dressed nicely...and I think the boots looked cute anyway...
so what did they sing about? snow? ridiculous...I'm so tired of everything being so PC...

Sandra December 16, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

My daughter wore the exact same black boots for the performance! Surely, all eyes are focused on the kids' cute faces and wonderful hand gestures and movements and not on their feet. In fact, most of the audience couldn't even see feet! It was a wonderful performance, wasn't it? Really does bring forth some much needed holiday spirit!

Claudya Martinez December 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM  

The first picture made me laugh. I think the boots in the second one are fashion-forward. She is adorable regardless of footwear.

anymommy December 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM  

She looks adorable. She's rocking those boots!

Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

I think the boots look cute (says of the mom of two boys who almost always are left to dress themselves).

Kim/reluctant renovator December 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

Oh, that comment would be mine.

Jenn M December 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM  

Ha that's too funny. At least she had footwear on, that's a plus! Her butt wasn't hanging out of her pants like my child. Shoes/smooes.. Heck all the cool kids are wearing winter boots indoors now anyways, she's just going with the times. ;)

Pat December 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM  

Those boots totally go with her outfit. She looks so cute! But it is frustrating when you go to the effort of packing the party shoes for her to change into and she forgets to do that. Maybe she didn't have time?

Michelle December 27, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

Tara - Fortunately with the weather, these were her "dress boots" and yes, they look cute. My mom was still appalled.

Tami - Ummm that woman was my mom ;) But I'm totally with you. I think it's funny.

Holly - There were lots of winter songs. And apparently there was one Santa song, I was told, though I missed it in the program.

Sandra - Oh goodie, it wasn't just us! And MUCH better than the bright blue boots one child wore. Ahem. Sadly, Little Miss was in the front row, so her boots were visible. So much fun though.

Unknown Mami - Both pictures make me giggle. They are soooooo her personality.

Stacey - I'll have to tell her you said so.

Kim - That's very true. The clothing for boys? Well, I'm glad I had my boy first so I wasn't crushed starting with baby clothes!

Jenn - True on all counts. No matter what, we just have to shake our heads at silly children, right?

Pat - That's actually what she's claiming now, but when they come inside each morning, they go to their lockers and are given time to change, etc. I think she just forgot and was using that as an excuse.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP