Thursday, June 19, 2008

I Have An Inkling About a Tinkling

On Monday when Mister Man and I had the stomach flu, my mom very generously showed up uninvited to take Little Miss with her to help prevent Little Miss from getting sick.

When she showed up, she had three pairs of Disney Princess underwear. Not surprisingly, Little Miss immediately chose a pair, took off her bloomers and Pull-Ups, and put on a pair of the underwear. Five minutes later, the bloomers came off and another pair was put on. Since she was headed to my parents’ house and I was feeling pretty wretched, I wasn’t about to fight it.

When I called Tuesday morning to check to see how Little Miss had done overnight and how she was feeling, I discovered that they were headed to Swedish Days in Geneva with my aunt and uncle. And my mom was brave enough to try to keep Little Miss in underwear (really, once she goes into underwear, there’s no going back). I stifled my laughter but reminded myself that it was her car, not mine.

Apparently, Little Miss went potty before she left my parents’ house. She went potty when she got to my aunt and uncle’s house. And she announced she had to go potty while at Swedish Days. Like most festivals, the only choice was Port-A-Potties.

Personally, I’ve trained myself to have the bladder of a camel to avoid most public bathrooms, and I can proudly say that I’ve never used a Port-A-Potty. Ever. The whole concept so grosses me out, I can’t even explain it. I can only pray that the wee ones will develop similar self-control.

When Little Miss got inside, she announced in quite the indignant voice, “Grandma, someone forgot to flush!” We’re all still cracking up over that one.

But she stayed dry. All day yesterday, and she was dry when she got back to our house last night. This morning, she chose Elmo underwear, and she stayed dry through all the errands she ran with Daddy, including announcing about five minutes after they finished eating lunch and were back in the car (Daddy has yet to learn to require that all children use potties before getting into the car). Fortunately, he was near a Dominick’s, and she quite proudly used the potty there.

She stayed dry during naptime. She stayed dry all afternoon and evening. And now she’s been back at my parents’ house (they do childcare on Thursdays) and has been dry again. She was so proud to choose her Ariel underwear this morning. Before she put them on though, she opened up her diaper drawer so that she could look at her old diapers and say good-bye to them – totally her idea and ohhhh-so-cute!

I’m crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, spinning counter-clockwise three times and whatever else I need to do to avoid jinxing this. BUT. I think Little Miss will be allowed to go to preschool next year (there was a question for awhile). Yay, Big Girl!

11 comments:

Karen June 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

Oh my goodness!!! Throw a party, hang a banner and blow the trumpets! That's awesome. Simply awesome.

Irene June 20, 2008 at 7:25 AM  

Oh man, did you happen to read my last post? I am so having trouble with this potty training thing. My youngest, at 3, has absolutely NO interest. Oh, I know she will get it eventually, but right now? It sure doesn't seem that way....

Mom June 20, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

Good for you (and her) My son is totally potty trained but yet he still asks for a pull up at night. We have told him if he makes it 10 nights in a row we will have an underwear party, still not sure how to pull that one off. He made it to 7 but then was wet on day 8 so now we are back to 0.

MaBunny June 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM  

YAY for Little Miss:))
Glad no one else got sick...
ttyl:))

Elissa L. June 20, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Congrats! That a big accomplishment. When my daughter turned 2 we just tossed the diapers and put on underwear and never looked back!

Jeff and Charli Lee June 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

Awww, I remember those days. Now it's me who has the problem of staying dry at night. JUST KIDDING! But I am finding myself getting up more often in the middle of the night than I used to. Uh, in case you were interested.

Michelle June 20, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

Karen - Thanks! I am rather excited... and she continues to inform me that her underwear is dry -- and to show everyone she sees her underwear. I don't remember that part with Mister Man!

Irene - I did just read it (I've been away from the computer for awhile), and I empathize. Mister Man was the youngest in his class plus had a late interest in the potty, so I stressed for a long time but he chose when he was ready, and all was good. You'll get there, too. Patience stinks!

Steph - Thanks! I have a feeling we'll be in Pull-Ups at night for awhile. With Mister Man, he was dry at day and at night at the same time, but I think that was because he was so much older than Little Miss when he finally decided he was ready. We did to Day 10 with him, too. Good luck getting there. I'd SO rather have a diaper on at night than clean up a bed EVER. But I'm a wimp.

MaBunny - Thanks! On both counts!

Punk Rock Mom - Welcome! Wow you were brave to do that at 2. I'm so glad it worked for you. She probably still would be in Pull-Ups if my mom hadn't shown up with underwear, but she's doing it!

Jeff - I am SO interested in your nighttime habits. Now I know about your drooling AND your nocturnal pottying! I don't think there's much left, is there?

Keys to the Magic Travel June 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

Yippee! My mom was the first one that got my youngest to use the potty. Then when I tried to get her to use it, she told me "no. I already did that." Yep, once...she was in the been there done that frame of mind!

So sorry about the stomach bug though...

Michelle June 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM  

Kat - Ahh, yes. The famous I've already done that defense. I'm quite familiar with that one. Little Miss tries to use that one on me all the time! I instituted the "you have to sit on the potty and try while I could to 10 and if no pee pee comes out then you can get off" rule with Little Miss when I KNOW she has to go, and usually she goes before I get to two because she thinks it's funny then that she goes before I get to 10. They're odd ducks, aren't they? Gotta love our kids!

Cookie June 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

That's great news! Potty training is never easy!

Michelle June 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM  

Cookie - It isn't, and I may have cheered too early. Today, while she had no official accidents, there were a couple of "streaking" incidents. And she didn't quite get why, which concerns me. Fingers crossed when we're less tired tomorrow and going forward, we'll get it back to normal!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP