Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

Summer is finally working it's way to Chicago. Of course, being Chicago, winter is still fighting back. That's why it's 42 degrees today. Yesterday was mid seventies, and we had some beautiful weather on Saturday... until it dropped 30 degrees by 5pm.

Regardless, I'm done with winter, which means I've started grilling. You saw the marinated steak from last week. This week, I did lemon chicken kebabs. Yum. The wee ones usually tell me this is their favorite food ever when I make it, and I certainly feel good about feeding it to them.

Plus, marinade + grilling = easy meal!

Grilled Lemon Chicken Kebabs

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
2 lemons
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c olive oil
salt and pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 red/orange/yellow pepper
1 Spanish onion


Trim the chicken breasts, and cut them into chunks for the skewers. Don't make them too large, or they won't cook fast enough, but you don't want them tiny either.

In a Ziploc or other container, zest one lemon and then squeeze the juice of the lemons. Peel and chop the garlic into the container. Add the olive oil and salt and pepper. You'll want more pepper and less salt than you'd expect. Mix this well, and then add the chicken.

Marinate for at least two hours but no more than four or so. You want the flavor to get into the chicken, but you don't want chicken cerviche!

While it's marinating, cut the peppers and onion into large pieces. I typically keep three onion pieces "together" vs separating them entirely. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them for a good hour or longer to ensure that you have skewers remaining when you're finished grilling.

If I'm doing this for company, I'll do chicken, pepper, chicken, onion, chicken, tomato, chicken, onion, chicken, pepper, chicken on the skewer -- and yes, I have long skewers. It looks pretty that way. If I'm just doing it at home, I'll put all the veggies on a skewer, with the chicken on separate skewers. This way I can better monitor the cooking time. See, I'm thinking!

I usually grill this on medium (I have a pretty hot grill) for five to eight minutes, turning after 4 minutes. This is really great with dilled rice, and it's perfect for a warm summer night.


And of course, as always go check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

Enjoy!

13 comments:

septembermom April 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Chicken is a big deal in my house! Love having a new chicken recipe to play around with! This one sounds great on these warm days:) Thanks!

Angie's Spot April 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Oh, this sounds so great! I have got to get a new grill for this summer. Sigh.

Unknown April 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

This sounds really scrumptious Michelle! I can't believe it is so cold in Chicago. It is HOT in Philly. 90 degrees all week! Crazy, right!

Kori April 28, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

Sounds super dee duper yummy. Can I just come to your place for dinner?

Laura April 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

Dude seriously this looks yum! I may blog this...k? 'course I'll give you props!

SnoWhite April 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

that just makes me think summer!!

Ryan Ashley Scott April 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

These sound like a perfect summer treat. Treat as in, my husband will grill, it will be delicious, and fewer dishes will need to be washed! Love it.

Brenda April 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

This looks really good and easy!

Sherry April 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM  

I think I am gonna make this recipe this week, but add shrimp with the chicken (i need to use leftover shrimp) I love kabobs so easy to make and so good to eat!

Michelle April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

septembermom - Us, too... we eat a lot of it!

Angie - Go get a new grill, hopefully a Green Egg ;) Or at least a little hibachi one!

Life with Kaishon - Uhhh yeah. It's cold here. And very damp and rainy. High in the low fifties with damp, clouds, and wind. It's fun!

Kori - Well, if that isn't a great way to describe it, I don't know what is. And I of course always make too much, so sure you're welcome!

Laura - You're more than welcome to. It's yum and easy -- my two favorites!

Snow White - Doesn't it? Lemon is such a great summer flavor.

RAS - Shhhh, you're giving away my secret here!

Brenda - You hit the nail on the head.

Sherry - Ooo, shrimp would be good, too. Just make sure not to overcook it ;)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace April 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

This does sound good.

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes May 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

I'm glad we just bought a new grill!!

Michelle May 3, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Lisa - Oh but it is. I actually just had some more of it tonight. Yum!

Emily - Ooo, good call. Now this is a great way to break it in!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP