Thursday, April 9, 2009

I've Been Trumped

As I sit here watching my husband watch baseball for some unknown team on his computer, I smile.

I always thought I was a sports fan. I haven't missed a Northwestern football game since I started attending school there. I never turn down a ticket to a baseball or hockey game. Heck, I can even tell you when you do and don't have icing called in a game.

But my husband? He's a whole different breed. To me, baseball just isn't a fun sport to watch on tv. If I'm doing something, I'm fine with a baseball game being on in the background, but I won't turn it on as a solo activity.

My husband cheers for the Cardinals. Let me tell you, the Cardinals are not one of the teams playing on his computer. And yet he's engrossed. He's learned to have his earplugs in because after too many years of baseball 24/7 for eight months, I can only stand baseball for two or three games a year now.

He's trying so hard to be quiet, but out of the corner of my eye, I can see him failing. He's waving his arms in the air above his head in celebration before realizing what he's done and pretending he's just stretching. He wrings his hands together before nonchalantly scratching his nose. A yesssssssssss escapes every once in awhile.

And each time, I look at him and giggle. He gives me a helpless look, but then it's back to the ballgame.

I finally asked him who he was watching. It was the Twins. That's my team. I'm the one who cheers for the Twins, who can tell you the 1987 batting order, who bought the wee ones all theri baseball gear. But ... I don't care anymore. I don't even ask him the score.

But I'm not hopeless. I can tell you that football starts late this year. That the first weekend of September is still preseason. That counts for something, doesn't it?

7 comments:

septembermom April 9, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Funny how he was trying to tone down his responses! I used to follow baseball more closely when I was younger. I'm thinking of trying to follow more closely this year. Maybe my kids will be impressed by mom's sudden baseball interest. (Or they most likely will be embarrassed when friends come over :)

Mary~Momathon April 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM  

My husband watches the Twins and the Vikings online. We don't get them on tv very often, so he is stuck watching the live feeds. Me... I can barely tell the sports apart.

Heather April 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

I love baseball! But have a hard time watching it on TV sometimes. But I only watch the games with my team (Cleveland Indians), and nothing else.

Cookie April 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I can't wait for football season to start either!
Right now I'm very busy with baseball too.... Little league basetball that is ;)

Michelle April 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

septembermom - It's possible that I've requested he tone down his responses ;)

Mary - It's rough... we're in Chicago, so it's allll about the Bears. Or Green Bay when the Bears aren't on. I only get to see them a few times a year -- twice when they're actually playing the Bears!

Heather - See! Even you just watch it when it's your own team.

Cookie - Well that's different, isn't it? :) Good luck with the boys!

Angela April 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

I agree. I'm a football girl - baseball just doesn't do it for me. It's fine as background, but only if I'm wanting to wind down or sleep. I remember, the night before the bar exam began, lying in my hotel room and trying (but failing) to fall asleep. So I turned on the baseball game. That commentator voice - something about the cadence, or the fact that they never really scream and holler like a football commentator - it put me right to sleep. :-)

Michelle April 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

Angela - Ugh, watch a White Sox or Cubs game. There are announcers on both teams that are a bit too home team centric for my taste... and they shout. And rant. But I don't like them anyway :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP