Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Can He Say That?

I bet y'all thought I wasn't going to post anything today. It's been a long day working, and choir practice went extra long tonight what with Maundy Thursday tomorrow, Good Friday services the day after, the Easter Vigil on Saturday, and two Easter services Sunday morning. I'll say it again -- I don't remember signing up for this when I agreed to sing in the choir!

But choir practice did have one benefit. Our choir director reminded us of an entertaining occurence from the service on Sunday.

We were supposed to start outside on Palm Sunday in the garden with a greeting and then process into the church singing and following behind a donkey. But there was no donkey. We processed without him, as it was too cold for us to even think of waiting for him.

The reverend made a comment after the blessing about how the donkey was on his way but was late. If we were lucky, maybe the donkey would make it in time for Communion, at which point the reverend made his way back to the altar.

And as he passed the choir director, the choir director said in a stage whisper, "What an ass!" Needless to say, the poor reverend was biting his lip and we're still not sure how he kept a straight face. None of us in the choir did.

13 comments:

morninglight mama April 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Too funny!

Angela April 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

LOL Glad the good reverend didn't crack up, as that might have made him look slightly asinine in front of his congregation...LOLOL!

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself!)

Too funny. If it's been as cold there as here, I don't blame you at all for proceeding without the donkey!

Heather April 8, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

LOL!

I so miss singing in a choir. *Sigh*

KatBouska April 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

I can't believe he had the guts to even SAY that!!! Too funny!

septembermom April 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

Funny remark! Good that the reverend kept it together. I can imagine all of you in the choir fidgeting with the giggles after that one!

MaBunny April 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

LOL! I would have bust a small bit of gut laughing at that one myself!

BloggessJ April 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

Too funny!

Sheryl April 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Good thing Jesus's donkey was on time.

Debbie April 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

And who says you can't be religious and have a sense of humor? That's great!

Ryan Ashley Scott April 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

It wouldn't be all that funny in any other situation, but in this scenario, it's hilarious. How did he not laugh?

Michelle April 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

morninglight mama - Yep, I thought so, too. I was thinking about it the whole time I was in services tonight, too ;)

Angala - Nice! I'm impresed.

Mama Kat - Uhhh yeah. Our choir director is a little... unorthodox. I have friends who know him from college who didn't get along so well with him, and I can see why. He definitely doesn't lack guts.

septembermom - It wouldn't be the first time. We tend to be a social bunch. Even during church.

MaBunny - It was pretty special :)

Jamie - And all the more so because of how unexpected it was, right?

Sheryl - Yeah. I'd hate to think what He would have had to say!

Debbie - Apparently the concept never dawned on the Episcopals. They are the most irreverent people who truly believe that I've ever met.

RAS - I'm still trying to figure that out. I think it might be that stiff upper lip the Brits have.

Cookie April 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

LOL!

Michelle April 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Cookie - Not what you expected, huh? :) Welcome back!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP