Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hippity Hoppity!

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating... and bear with me if you aren't!

It's been a bit of an unusual Easter, with some good tradition still thrown in there fortunately. I went to Maundy Thursday mass to sing in the choir, but I couldn't do two services today and Holy Saturday -- especially with my husband at the Brewers game and me without childcare.

It turns out that the service I missed last night had some drama to them. There was a bonfire outside the church that was contained in a container like what you would put beer or wine in. And it didn't stay contained and sort of spilled outside. And one of my fellow choir members accidentally set her bulletin afire when she held it too close to her taper while trying to read the text. Bummer!

Fortunately, the Easter Bunny did come to our house, although the wee ones were still sleeping when I left to go to church. That means that not only did I miss them finding and going through their baskets but there are no pictures of this. My husband doesn't exactly get it.



Oddly, the Easter Bunny in our house didn't bring chocolate this year, but he brought some stuff the wee ones definitely enjoyed: several new placemats (including a way cool periodic table one and a neat Spiderman plus a planets one), Spiderman activity book, Curious George dry erase board, a tiny sunflower container, a pair of big boy scissors, and the like. I believe everyone was happy with it.

After church, we went to my aunt and uncle's house, which is pretty traditional. Except that my parents and one other set of aunt and uncle were the only ones there. Two of my mom's five siblings didn't make it, and none of my cousins did. That's a first. One aunt and uncle did literally nothing for Easter but couldn't be bothered to come, so their three children (and spouses and children) didn't make the journey either. Sad, but what can you do. Even my sister didn't make it.

My aunt and uncle were going to have an Easter Egg hunt for the wee ones, but that fizzled somehow and instead they got presents. Two outfits and a swimsuit for each of them. Ahhh, clothes. My favorite kind of gifts nowadays.

And since Little Miss's swimsuit literally shredded in the water this past Saturday at swim lessons, the new suit couldn't have come at a better time. Again, I wasn't there and I'm going by what my mom said, but she came home a swimsuit short and claimed she'd never been more embarrassed in her life.





And then we all stuffed our faces, as normal. Ham with all the trimmings... and non-dairy foods for Little Miss. My aunt and uncle are good that way! I even have proof that it was a good day:



Yep, that would be my husband who had volunteered to shepherd the wee ones for awhile, sound asleep in a chair.

I think my aunt and uncle (who are childless) were ready for us to go by the time we packed up. The wee ones get a little riled up around Grandma and Grandpa, and then couple it with no nap and sugar that they kept eating throughout the day. Their poor cats -- who are also not used to having children around -- may never recover.

I'm thinking that after a good nap, I'll be just fine. And no tempting Easter candy to eat, either!

Happy Easter (or not)!

15 comments:

Unknown April 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

Happy Easter. We did celebrate, however it was very unconventional. Sometimes it's good to waver from the norm.

Ryan Ashley Scott April 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

Happy Easter! I think the "no candy" basket is a great idea - we put a tiny bit in, but mostly other fun stuff. Little Miss looks so cute in her pic. And how typical of "Dad" to fall asleep while keeping the children company. Ahaha - all the men at our Easter dinner were watching golf. It was fun, though.

MaBunny April 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

Oh the pics are adorable! Your kiddos are just too cute Michelle!
Glad you had a good Easter - it wasn't too traditional here either - kind of odd! but a good day none the less!

septembermom April 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

I didn't do the candy Easter baskets this year either. I tried to go the arts and crafts route. My mom bought some chocolate anyway. I like the cute baskets for your kids. Great ideas. I should take a picture of my husband now as he snores away on the recliner. I wonder if Angelina is watching Mr. Brad Pitt snore too? Though he probably looks good doing that too! Glad that you had a nice Easter. I'm sure your aunt's cats are enjoying their kid free rest right now.

Heather April 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Sorry you missed the kids finding their baskets! That's the most fun part of the day!

I ended up staying home with my son, he has caught his sister's illness. So hubby and Hanna went to my mom's, and I cleaned and got some tax stuff together. Not the way I really wanted to spend Easter. Especially since it was Quinn's first, and he had to be sick for it.

AdriansCrazyLife April 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations! Just wanted you to know that you are the winner of my $25 Macy's gift card. Send me a private E-mail with your address and the Fishful Thinking people will get it sent out to you.

WeaselMomma April 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

No candy in the baskets? Do you have a special savings account for future therapy needs?

Karen April 13, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

Dude, Easter is all about chocolate. Your Bunny needs to be fired.

Debbie April 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Lovely photos and it does sound like you had a great Easter.
Not only did the Easter bunny bring candy, she has already been out to the half price candy sale this morning at Target to replenish. Bad for the waist but good for the soul:)

Aunt Julie April 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Sounds like you had a fun-packed Easter Weekend! Ours was pretty quiet, since we're Empty Nesters, and all. Quite a change of pace from Christmas, when I thought all the company would never go home!

Kelly Deneen Raymond April 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

It looks like you had a very nice day! Yayyy!!! :)

Cookie April 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

We had a very quiet Easter at my house. Sorry you missed the kids excitement when they woke up. My husband forgets to take pics too. Even though he spent a fortune on a new camera :S
Love the pic of hub sleeping in the chair while watching the kids and love the periodic table placemats ;)

Michelle April 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Megryansmom - Unconventional? I may have to go investigat that one!

RAS - I'm shocked actually that no golf was on the tv. If it were summer, the Sox would definitely be on. Maybe Easter is to solemn an occasion?

MaBunny - Awww, thanks! What's up with the nontraditional Easters? :)

septembermom - Now THAT'S a question. I wish that were something an interviewer would ask!

Heather - Oh bummer for you. Sick kids during holidays are always the worst. Here's hoping next year is better!

Adrian - Oh very cool! I love Macy's :)

Weaselmomma - Oh c'mon... I'll show you the candy container. It's bulging. In fact, the top no longer fits on it. No therapy. At least not for this one ;)

Debbie - Nice job to the bunny. I totally missed out on those sales today. Gotta love work! Only 10 3/4 hours today ;)

Veggie Mom - Quiet can definitely be good. In fact, if I had total quiet right now, I'd be totally cool with that!

Kelly - Yep, definitely a nice day! I hope you enjoyed yours, too.

Cookie - Hey, I told you I'd find them. eBay for $0.99 apiece. AND planet ones. And some really cool math puzzles. And you doubted me!

Angela April 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

Happy Easter to you guys too! I loved the pics. Everyone (including hubby) looks like they are enjoying the day!

Michelle April 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

Angela - Thanks :) The huband was definiely enjoying the day... in his favorite position!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP