Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Marinated Steak

This week, it was really easy to decide what to feature. I had a friend in town, and I happened to make one of my favorite meals -- and I often forget about it. This was one of the very first recipes I ever received from someone, shortly after I graduated from college.

The first time I made it, I made it with a then-boyfriend for my parents. We had two and a half pounds of beef tenderloin that we cooked, in addition to veggies and potatoes and biscuits and salad. And between the four of us, we ate it all. It was so good that we just couldn't stop. And my mom and I are not huge eaters.

I've made it periodically since, and it always gets rave reviews. One of my husband's friends paid it the ultimate compliment by saying there was no point going to a steakhouse because this was better. Huh.

I've used this with a variety of cuts of meat. Tenderloin is definitely the best because it's so tender, but I did NY strip this time, and it was great. The tougher the meat, the longer I marinate. Tenderloin only goes in for two or three hours. NY strip might go in all day.

Yummy Marinated Steak (I know -- it actually has no name)

Ingredients:
3/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c Worstershire sauce
2 t dry mustard
1 1/2 t pepper
1/2 c vinegar
2 (or more) cloves garlic
1/3 c lemon juice
3/4 c vegetable oil

Get out your blender. Pop in the soy, Worstershire, mustard powder, pepper (ground), vinegar, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend it up until it's well mixed. Slowly add the vegetable oil while blending until emulsified.

Put your steaks in a Ziplock bag or container, and pour the marinade over them. Store in the fridge to marinate. Turn them periodically. For the last hour, take them out of the fridge to finish. Steaks cook better when close to room temperature, and I promise that an hour out of the fridge isn't going to make the meat go bad.

Save the marinade after you take out the steaks. Put it in a saucepan and boil. Boil, boil, boil for at least ten minutes.

Grill the steaks to your preferred doneness (if you're using tenderloin, don't go past medium rare or a light medium). I sometmes save some of the marinade to baste the steaks, as well, but it isn't necessary.

Serve the steaks with the marinade sauce as an accompaniment. It's good. My visiting friend kept dipping his bread in the sauce to sop it up, putting more sauce on his plate and repeating.

I need to make this one again, now that the weather is warming up! Go check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

Enjoy!

22 comments:

Unknown April 21, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

I have visited a lot of sites today! Like at least 25 of the recipe ones. Everything seems wonderful, like always, but this... well, it made me get up off the chair and pull our steak out of the fridge. It is marinating now as I type! Thanks for this great idea!

septembermom April 21, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

My husband and oldest son would devour this dish in a few minutes! Another great one to add to my rotation. Thanks, Michelle!

annies home April 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

sounds like a great summer recipe

Debbie April 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

My boys would kiss me in public for this. Maybe:)

Jeff and Charli Lee April 21, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

I know what I'm serving on Saturday when I have a house full of guests! Thanks for the yummy suggestion. :-)

Angela April 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Yummy! I love grilled steak. We'll definitely try this one as it's warming up! And it sounds nice and easy for workout nights too. Lately, by the time I work out it is 8 pm or later when I begin dinner, so quick and easy fits the bill!

Ryan Ashley Scott April 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Mmmm, this sounds good. I'm starving. How long do you marinate the meat total? Does it matter?

Cookie April 21, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

I'm a vegetarian. I'm not good at cooking steak for hub and the kids. I leave that up to him. ;)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace April 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

I LOVE MEAT!!! BRING ON THE STEAKS!!! I was so glad to see this recipe. I am looking forward to trying it. My hubby is so good at cooking steaks on the grill, it will be nice to try something new.

Pam April 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

My husband loves any kind of steak. I'll have to fix this for him.

septembermom April 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

I tagged you to play a meme on my blog today! Hope you have fun:)

Kelly Deneen Raymond April 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

I will definitely have to share this recipe with my husband. He loves a good steak! :)

Brenda April 22, 2009 at 1:34 AM  

YUM! I love marinated meats, and I like a sauce with my meat, so I think I would like this.

Tami April 22, 2009 at 6:33 AM  

I have this same receipe! It is AWESOME!!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet April 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Yum! WE love marinated steak! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

Michelle April 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Life With Kaishon - Oh how cool! I'd love to know how you like it.

septembermom - Hey, the ladies in my house devour this one, too. It's a keeper!

shopannies - Or protesting winter insisting it must be spring recipe ;)

Debbie - Oooo, now that would so be worth it. I want pics!

Jeff - And so easy, even a guy can do it (you know what I mean)

Angela - Yep, this is quick and easy, especially with the spinach. This one was made while my friend visiting was reading to the wee ones. Did I mention he's currently childless?

RAS - It matters. If it's a tender cut, I do it for just a couple of hours (like beef tenderloin). If it's a tougher cut, I marinate it for longer up to overnight.

Cookie - Oh bummer for you. You don't know what your missing (and as a former veg, I can attest to that) ;)

Lisa - Great enthusiasm. I'd love to know how you like it if you make it.

Pam - Go for it... especially if you're about to ask him for something!

Kelly - That seems to be pretty par for the course, I think. Genetic?

Brenda - The sauce just makes it that much better ... and no wasted ingredients. I know I'm a Depression Era baby when I hate throwing away marinade (don't worry, I do it... I just don't like the waste).

tt millers - So does your recipe have a name? The friend who passed it to me yearssssss ago doesn't have a name either.

Sherry - It's good stuff, isn't it?

annies home April 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM  

this sounds so great and just right for the weather

xxxx April 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

Yuuuuumm!!! That sounds awesome!!

Angie's Spot April 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

This sounds great! Marinated steak is such a great meal. Which reminds me that we have got to get a new grill for the summer. Sigh.

Michelle April 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

shopannies - Yep, totally right for the weather :)

Swishy - And your guy friends would love it, too.... You'd be a rock star!

Angie - Uh-oh. That doesn't sound too good. Although if I had the money, there are loooooots of really cool grills out there nowadays!

Anonymous July 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

Made this for some friends the other night and this receipe continues to be a great one. I have enjoyed it from the first time you and I had it many years ago. You should repost this again.

James

Michelle July 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

James - I don't generally repost, but I'll link to it sometime soon. Right now, I'm busy putting up the recipes from my trip to Italy. Yum. This recipe is a favorite around here, too - the wee ones eat almost as much as an adult when I serve it ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP