Monday, April 27, 2009

Someone's Got It In For Me

This week is my vacation. And by my vacation, I mean MINE. Not the wee ones'. Not my husband's. I'm not going anywhere, but this is my week to recharge.

It all started when my parents -- who provide a ton of help to us during the week with childcare -- announced they were going to Amelia Island with an aunt and uncle for a week in April. My mom immediately started panicking. What would I do about the wee ones? Who would take them to daycare? Who would pick them up from preschool? Oh, it was a disaster and she never should have agreed to go....

I simply announced that I would take the week off work. That mollified her.

Of course, my plan was to take the week off work and keep the wee ones in school and daycare. Thus, it's my week of vacation.

It is not meant to be.

Last Wednesday, my aunt's brother passed away. The vacation was off. My mom cheerfully announced that I no longer needed to take the week off since they'd be in town now. Uhhhh, yeah.... And the guilt trip started. I'm proud of myself, though; I didn't cave.

My dad announced that they're taking the wee ones to the city on Wednesday and going to the Field Museum, and how fun. I was going, right? Uhhh, sorry, Dad, but you are soooo wrong on that one. His opinion is that since they're in town, the wee ones can just skip school all week. Yeah, not so much.

We compromised. I'm not going to the Field Museum, but they are. My Wednesday vacation day is back on.

And yesterday? My husband couldn't get out of bed. He had a fever. The veteran teacher who never gets sick was miserable. I informed him that he absolutely was not allowed to remain sick. He had to find some way to get his immune system into gear and off to school once Monday morning rolled around. And he did.

And the green noses from the wee ones? I didn't see anything, did you?

Day One of my vacation? A success.

It involved a manicure, a pedicure, and lunch with some really fun friends consisting of Lou's (good Chicago pizza for the uninitiated) and an initiation into the world of eggless cookie dough. Did I mention that I'm also 152 pages into the first Twilight book?

I feel better already.

14 comments:

Hyacynth April 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

I'm glad day one was a success! Enjoy your rejuvenation!

Angie's Spot April 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Good for you!! I am so impressed that you didn't let the guilt take over because I'm not sure I could've been so resilient. Your first day of vacation sounded wonderful! I hope the rest of your week goes equally great. (And isn't Twilight awesome?!)

Melisa Wells April 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

YAAAAAY! Tomorrow might be even better! :)

Lunch was fun! (like you said! LOL)

Unknown April 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Oh how I miss Lou's from our days in civilization. I can almost taste it. Enjoy your vacation!

Heather April 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

You will become addicted to Twilight. I hope yo have the next 3 already, you'll want to start on them at once!

Glad your vacation is starting out so well! Woo hoo!

KatBouska April 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM  

Way to stick to your guns. We all need some alone time to recharge every once in awhile. I'm proud of you!

What time shall I come over to join you?? ;)

WeaselMomma April 28, 2009 at 6:16 AM  

I hope your entire vacation is that good!

Aunt Julie April 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

What is it that some Wise Person once said? "The best-laid plans..." Glad you got the mani and pedi in, though. As you know, I'm a BIG FAN of this form of relaxation! BTW, wanted to remind you that today is Uncle Lynn's birthday, and I'm running a one-day POPrs giveaway to celebrate. Please come by!

MaBunny April 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Hope your hubby stays well! Glad you enjoyed Lous! Is Taftys pizza still around? thats the one that was big when I was there!
Keep enjoying your vacation!

Tami April 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

My husband is a high school history & economics teacher. What does your husband teach?
OH! I LOVE TWLIGHT!

anymommy April 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

Oh that sounds heavenly. Hope you get to enjoy the entire week!

Michelle April 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

Hycynth - And on day 2? The grandparents just left to have an overnight and then a trip to the Field Museum. I'm sleeping in tomorrow!

Angie - I'm kind of surprised, too, but I KNOW I need the break from work, too. Or at least somewhat of a break. I have been doing some work this week.

Melisa - Unlikely. How could it top you? ;) Then again, I am snacking on some cookie dough right now....

Megryansmom - No Lou's in Joliet? Bummer. You know you can order online though, right?

Heather - You mean like how I finished the book last night? And how I'm about to drive over to a friend's house to pick up #2?

Mama Kat - Hey, anytime. The house is mine and mine alone right now!

Veggie Mom - No kidding! And the mani/pedi? They're huge. I'm hoping for the massage next :)

MaBunny - So far, so good! I've never heard of Tafty's Pizza.... ever. So I'm going to go with no unfortunately.

tt millers - I heard so much that people loved it but convinced myself that I wouldn't like it because the buildup was too much. Nope. They're that good :)

anymommy - Me, too! Granted I'm back on Mommy duty as of Tuesday at noon, but I'm ok with that....

Cookie April 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

Sounds like my kind of vacation! I have never had a pedicure ever!

Michelle April 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Cookie - Wait, you've never heard of Twilight and you've never had a pedicure? You need to get out more :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP