Monday, July 21, 2008

Lesson Learned

I'm not a coffee fan. To be honest, I don't like the way it tastes. It's bitter, and I never bothered to learn to like it. I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I never learned to like beer either, and I'm ok with that.



Don't get me wrong. I love the smell of coffee. And if you put it in ice cream, I'm all over it. But normal coffee? I'll pass. Of course, if you manage to sweeten it up and turn it into something that just happens to barely pass for coffee, then I can drink it and enjoy it.



I mentioned yesterday that we went to a lovely patisserie for breakfast. They happened to have caramel coffee there. It sounded good, and we were having a very special treat, so I got a mug of it. And yes, they put whipped cream in it. And I mean real whipped cream. As in: they took out a silver mixing bowl from the refrigerator and used a spatula to scoop some whipped cream onto the coffee.



As you might imagine, it was pretty good.



After we finished breakfast (and I finished my lovely caramelly coffee), my husband helped get the wee ones into the car, while I gave my mug back to the nice ladies at the counter. (Mister Man and my husband had already carried the plates inside to clear the rest of the table.)



One of the two lovely ladies asked me if I'd like a cup to go. When I looked at her quizically, she explained that they give free cups to go. Nice perk. I asked if I could get a cup for my husband, as well, since he'd probably kill me if I, the-woman-who-doesn't-drink-coffee, came out with a free refill and he had nada.



They graciously gave me my two cups to go -- and marked one with a pink dot so I could tell which was the yummy one and which was his -- and off we went to the parade.



So at 1am last night, who do you suppose was lying wide awake in bed cursing the caffeine?



Yeah, that would be me.



I really should know better. When we drove back from St Louis after Christmas last year, my husband graciously got me a Starbucks bottled thing from the gas station when he stopped. I drank it at 2pm and was still awake at 3am the next morning.



Apparently when you don't drink caffeine often, it tends to really affect you. That or I'm just super sensitive to it. Of course today was a day I was going into the office, which meant I was getting up at 5:30.



Good times when the alarm went off this morning, I'm telling you. Good times.



*************************



Oh, and I stopped at Costco on my way home from work today to pick up some more cherries and some diapers and/or Pull-Ups for Little Miss for night time and nap time. I got my cherries and some water softener salt and a couple more very intriguing workbooks for Mister Man and some spinach asiago dip for the barbeque we're going to tomorrow night and talked to the mobile phone folks about switching to Verizon.



When I got home, my husband asked if I had a diaper handy for Little Miss, as we'd used the last one last night. Oops. I knew there was something I was forgetting. Fortunately, we had a diaper that just had a broken tab. Masking tape solved that problem.



At least until I go to Costco again tomorrow. Any guesses what I'll come home with?

11 comments:

Anonymous July 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM  

Please come over and touch me so some of the caffeine sensitivity rubs off. I can drink cups and cups and still have no problem sleeping. I think it's the act of having coffee and not the actually jolt that wakes me up in the morning. You are my idol.

xxxx July 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM  

I don't ever drink coffee but I too loooooove the smell of it!

Karen July 22, 2008 at 6:28 AM  

I used to dislike the taste of coffee, and then Starbucks happened. Darn them. haha

Angela July 22, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

I totally understand this. I had to *quit* drinking my beloved, mostly-cream-with-some-coffee-to-justify-things favorite morning brew, for that very reason. I read a very interesting book, called Caffeine Blues, and quit cold turkey when I realized that book must be written just for me. I realized the author was right; I truly do feel better (and have more energy) when I'm not drinking coffee. Now I did get sucked back in for a while on and after our trip to Italy, because I just can't go there and not have cappuccino (oh, heavenly!). But truly, I'm pretty sensitive to the stuff. If I even drink decaf these days, which still has some caffeine, I can tell.

MaBunny July 22, 2008 at 9:54 AM  

I don't do caffeine either, due to my stomach. But on really cold days instead of coffee I get hazelnutt hot chocolate.

MereinSC July 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

I have the same problem with coffee... the caffeine makes me jittery and makes my heart race. I used to be addicted but I'm finally not longer dependent on it. I've discovered that I love hot decaf tea though!

anymommy July 22, 2008 at 4:36 PM  

I should try to develop this problem. My caffiene tolerance is legendary.

Angie's Spot July 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

I LOVE the smell of coffee but gag at the taste of it. Yuck! And I gave up carbonated drinks at the beginning of this year (for weight loss reasons). Not having the caffeine has been great but i wish it was the answer to my insomnia problem. Not sure what the problem is, but turning the computer off might be the solution. LOL!

Michelle July 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM  

Insta-mom - I'd love to find a happy medium somewhere! And to think that I'm someone's idol -- I just got all sorts of warm fuzzies!

Swishy - It *is* a great smell, isn't it? Maybe they should make a delicate coffee scented perfume. Hmmm.

Karen - Starbucks "coffee" isn't really coffee. That's ambrosia with addictive chemicals added. Even I can drink their concoctions!

Angela - I've not heard of that book, but maybe I should be it for my husband. He's the opposite of me in caffeine. He drinks black coffee (an entire pot) every morning and can drink it before bed and still fall asleep before me!

Mabunny - Hazelnut is another of my favorite scents (and tastes mmmm Nutella!). Nutella hot chocolate would be right in my wheelhouse!

Mereinsc -- Welcome! I do love tea. (See my prize pack from the pay it forward contest -- I cant wait for the weather to cool down to drink some of the roasted corn and green with roasted brown rice teas!) That's one that doesn't need to be doctored with all sorts of stuff to make it palatable.

Anymommy - I think tolerance is something you either have or don't have. I can see that your tolerance level to things in general is high. In general, mine doesn't exist (caffeine, alcohol, people)... .

Angie - Congrats on giving up pop! Sadly I've never been a pop drinker either and can't stand any colas or root beer. Yuck! Here's hoping the weight loss goes well for you (may I suggest Spark People as a great free resource?). I've had a lot of problems off and on sleeping. My current favorite trick is to slowly count from 200 to 0 and really concentrate just on the numbers and not thinking about anything else. I rarely get below 100....

Cookie July 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

OK, I have to say, that I really really don't like Costco. And it just sounds funny that you're shopping list was cherries and diapers. Don't know why, but that made me chuckle. Now I need to go make some coffee :)

Michelle July 24, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

Cookie - I think it must be the Seattle thing. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that? Still one of my favorite places though. I'm so easy to please :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP