Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Forget The Peanuts And Crackerjacks!

What is the one thing that really says summer? Ok, I mean besides the calendar and fireworks and the dreaded heat and humidity. C'mon, can't you figure it out from the title?

Alright, I'll tell you. It's baseball, of course! And living in Chicago, we've got some great baseball. Or at least some great venues to watch baseball. Now I spend most of my baseball watching either at my husband's field watching him play or in Milwaukee watching the Brewers play someone, simply because it's easier to get to and tickets are easier to get. And it's a GREAT park, especially for kids.

However, back in the day I used to spend a lot of time at Wrigley. This was wayyy before the Cubs were good. In fact, when I lived in the city, I used to walk along the street outside Murphy's Bleachers awhile before the game and would get offered bleacher tickets by those who decided getting drunk at a bar is more fun than actually going to watch the game. I used to get enough tickets so that whoever I was with could also get in. For free, mind you. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen anymore, but it was wonderful while it lasted.

Once I had my free tickets in hand, it was off to the 7-11 just south of Wrigley. What many people don't realize is that most ballparks will allow you to bring in outside food and beverage so long as it isn't alcohol or in a glass container.

Once inside the oasis of the 7-11, I'd go get my nice giant Slurpee -- cherry, thank you very much -- and head over to the park. In the heat and humidity of a summer day, I was cool and refreshed all game long with my Slurpee. It cost less than half a single beer (which I hate to admit, but I don't like beer anyway) and lasted far longer.

By the second inning, I'd start getting my first question from patrons* around me. They were all shocked that I could bring in my Slurpee, and inevitably, they were jealous and wanted some of their own. Too late, as there's no re-entry policy. Instead, I'd just take another slurp and smile.

But why do I share this bit of history with all of you today anyway? Today is the eighth of July. On July 11, it's Slurpee Day! That means that all customers (at participating 7-11's) can get a free 7.11 ounce Slurpee. Granted, the flavors have gotten pretty wacky over the years, but who couldn't find a flavor to love.

And a tip from the experts -- put the top on first, then fill. Get it most of the way full, then bang it on the counter to level it off. Slowly add more and continue the last two steps until your Slurpee is just about to overflow the top. Can you think of a better way to spend a Friday in July than enjoying an ice cold (did I mention free) Slurpee?

* I refuse to call the people who enter Wrigley Field with a ticket "fans." Most of the time, they couldn't tell you the score. Too many people can't tell me who's even playing. And the number of fans left after the seventh inning, regardless of what's happening in the game is appalling, not to mention the number of people who don't bother to come in until the second or third inning. They're patrons. They are not baseball fans.

10 comments:

anymommy July 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM  

Okay, now that is good to know! Yay for 7/11 slurpees.

angela | the painted house July 8, 2008 at 9:09 PM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

I do not like baseball. I hope we can still be friends! :) Actually, my hubby and I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field and it was fun. Felt more genuine than the glitzy new "ballparks". Plus, there was a hilarious hot dog vendor there that we still talk about.

Anyway...

Our daughter was born on 7/11--we have on occasion called her Slurpee Time! :)

Jeff and Charli Lee July 8, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

One of my best baseball experiences ever was watching a game at Wrigley. I even have a close up of Harry Caray singing directly over my head.

Too bad... we don't have 7-11's here :-(

Debbie July 8, 2008 at 9:41 PM  

You are a woman after my own heart. Oh yeah. You dedicated a post about slurpees. I could dedicate a post about the magic of a Super Big Gulp Diet Coke with lemon. "Oh Thank Heaven for 7-11!" Thanks for the heads up. You know where I'll be with the kids this Friday! ;)

Angela July 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

Ahh, the boys of summer! I must admit that while I definitely love attending a nice ball game, I am not a summer fan. I don't go to spectator events when it's hot (remember, we're in Georgia here) because I just don't enjoy myself when I'm sweating to death. But I do adore going to games when it's cool, crispy and breezy - and preferably night games. That's so much fun! We went a few weeks ago (guess it was actually a month or so ago) and the weather was perfect for jeans. I love that!

And now I'm totally craving a slurpee. Down here in the south we always called them Icee's (or some such spelling) and they came in two flavors - coke and cherry. I adore coke icees and now I'm going to have to go find one to celebrate my vacation!

Kellan July 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

We lived in Chicago Heights when I was younger and when we lived there we went to Cubs game - my sister got hit by a fly ball in the stands - we didn't get the ball.

Enjoy - Kellan

Kellan July 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

Hey Michelle - I think we got those shoe racks from Home Depot, but it could have been Lowes or Walmart - I don't honestly remember. You might go on-line and check all those sites to see if they show them on-line. I'm pretty sure it was Home Depot. Take care - Kellan

Cookie July 8, 2008 at 11:36 PM  

Thanks for the 7-11 tip! Now I really really want one!

MaBunny July 9, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

I love most sports when I'm watching them live and NOT on Tv. I do like baseball games, but dont go to them much here due to prices and heat!

Michelle July 9, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

Anymommy - Total YAY for 7-11 (and 7/11) Slurpees!

Angela - We can still be friends. I'm always amazed by how many of my friends like no sports at all. And see - you're just the kind of patron I'm referring to at Wrigley (and it isn't a bad thing, just an opinion that those at Wrigley aren't actually baseball fans). I love your daughter's nickname! Happy early birthday to her.

Jeff - Very cool to get the Harry Caray pic! I so miss him (even though my family is south side Irish Catholic and are Sox fans -- except me being a Twins fan). And you're right, there ARE no 7-11's in MN. I had forgotten about that. It's almost worth a road trip though....

Debbie - You'll definitely have to tell me what flavor you get on Friday. So glad I could help!

Angela - I get the not wanting to be out in the heat and humidity, but I will say that Slurpees help out with this a ton. And actually, Slurpees and Icees are slightly different. Icees are almost a tiny bit carbonated and more tingly in your mouth. I'm all for a good Icee, too! (Red, please!)

Kellan - What IS it with Chicago fans not giving people hit in the head by a ball the actual ball? The same thing happened to my mom many many years ago (way before I was a glimmer in anyone's eye). Fortuntely (?) I've never been close enough to a foul ball to have that happen. You know that if that happened now, you'd get some attention and some love from the team in the hopes that you wouldn't sue! And as for the shoe racks, last year I went to EVERY home goods and improvement store and online and no dice :(

Cookie - I don't remember from my times in Seattle, do you have 7-11, or are you like Jeff and out of luck?

MaBunny - You have to find a night game for a minor league team and then go really early or late in the season? They're so fun!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP