Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Birthday Boys

On my way home from work last night, my husband called and asked if I'd meet them for dinner. They were at the pool and planned to have dinner near there afterwards.

Since it was sushi Monday and they were talking about going to said restaurant, I was fine with it. They also do tepanyaki, so I figured the wee ones would eat the chicken and rice, as well as some of the veggies.

While I waited for my family at the restaurant (neither 6:45 nor 5 minutes actually means that when they're at the pool, and I should know that), I took a look at the signs on the outside. One mentioned that they now have a birthday special. This was one you didn't have to sign up online for, you just show your ID. And it's valid for a week before and a week after birthdays.

Hmm.

We're currently entering the week 'o birthdays around here. We get eased into it with my mom's birthday on the first of July. Then we have my husband's on July 31, Little Miss's on August 1, and my dad's on August 3. Each insists on his own cake. Each insists on his own celebration. The only good news is that my procrastination means that the leftover cake from Little Miss's friends party won't come until August 16, so I'll only have three cakes in the house at one time.

Needless to say, my dad and husband both got free dinners (ok, they got $15 off their dinners because they ordered expensive ones). And they were supposed to get Kobe cake, whatever that was.

As a side note, Mister Man loved the miso soup, while Little Miss wouldn't try it. They both devoured their chicken and rice. And Little Miss ate all her broccoli. Mister Man ate some of his carrots. They both enjoyed their rainbow sherbert and shared mine. Who would have thought that they liked green tea ice cream? It surprised me, but let's just say that I only got a couple small bites, which isn't the worst thing in the world!

At the end of the meal, both wee ones were pretty tired, and Mister Man decided he was chilly. The two of us went outside to warm up. After a few minutes, my husband came outside saying they were trying to do the birthday cake for him and for my dad. By that point, I had assumed the scoops of ice cream was the dessert and had forgotten all about the cake.

We walked back in and sat down, but my mom and Little Miss were missing. Not surprisingly, they had headed to the bathroom for the second time. Little Miss loves going to the bathroom in every restaurant or public place we go to. We waited several minutes before I finally went to go check on them.

Needless to say, Little Miss was going to be awhile. Given the hour, we decided to go ahead with the cake without them. We flagged down the waitress, and the singing began. And the colored disco lights. And the balloon hats. Oh yeah, and the cake.

The cake was on a huge plate and was a pink heart. I think it was a strawberry ice cream torte (I wasn't offered a taste). There was also a beautiful glass filled with banana pudding decorated with greens inside it and peach slices, etc across the top. My dad and husband dug into their second (and third) desserts.

Shortly thereafter, Mister Man said he was chilly and wanted to go warm up again. I got up to take him outside. Until I got the protest from my husband.

Him: You cannot leave me and your dad sitting here in these goofy hats by ourselves eating our birthday cakes. It's bad enough as it is, but the pathetic old men can't sit alone here.

He makes a good point. After giggling, I sat back down as they finished. But the picture of the two of them sitting alone at this HUGE hibachi with silly balloon hats, hunched over their tiny little pink heart cakes.... Of all the times to not have my camera with me. My apologies for not giving you a better visual.

And yes, I tried to convince them both that this was their birthday dinner and that I was off the hook for the rest of the week. No such luck!

12 comments:

Anonymous July 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

Not only does this sound like a near perfect evening, it also made me very hungry!

Karen July 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Happy birthday to the men! Sounds like a good time, hats and all.

Angela July 29, 2008 at 8:45 PM  

Oh my goodness. We really do share a life. My husband's birthday is ALSO Thursday.

(Spooky music playing in background!)

We've got a buy-one-get-one coupon for our favorite mexican place, so we're heading there. Hope all your birthdays are well celebrated!

Debbie July 29, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

What no pictures!!!! Grown men in party hats...I am so disappointed..but I do have a mental picture...and it's cracking me up...And speaking of birthdays, today is my son's...so we have lots of cake here!

Michelle July 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

Shelly - Sorry! I wasn't trying, but mmmm it was good! And who can complain about half price sushi?

Karen - Thanks. They did have fun, but my dad was SOOOO ready to leave at the end!

Angela - You're creeping me out! Thank GOD you don't have kids! Wish your husband a happy birthday from me, and enjoy the Mexican.

Debbie - Trust me, I'm kicking myself for not bringing the camera. Glad the mental picture sort of works for you though! Happy birthday to your son -- I hope he gets all that he wants.

Kellan July 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

Oh, I think you gave a pretty darn good visual - funny! Happy Birthday to YOUR WHOLE FAMILY - tee hee! Fun story!

Have a good Wednesday - Kellan

Cookie July 29, 2008 at 11:34 PM  

My kids love sushi!
Happy Birthday to everyone!

MaBunny July 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM  

HMm, their birthday desserts sounds yummy! Happy birthday to one and all, have a great day!

Angie's Spot July 30, 2008 at 8:00 AM  

Oh, I truly wish we had a picture to enjoy with this hilarious descriptive! Happy Birthday to all your family members!

Jeff and Charli Lee July 30, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

Well, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and draw us a sketch of the scene already. Sheesh. ;-)

Happy birthday to everyone! This must be the week all the cool people were born... considering mine was this week too ;-) But then you already knew that.

-Bridget July 30, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

Nothing like hibachi for lifting your spirits for a birthday or any day! Sounds like they need something a little more manly than little pink heart cakes for some of their patrons.

Michelle July 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM  

Kellan - Glad you enjoyed the story. And were able to make do with only the written visuals. This wasn't a planned birthday dinner, just chance it was a birthday dinner the week before and after the actual birthday.

Cookie - Of all children I know, I'd HOPE yours would like sushi! I'm still working on mine, but I offer them some each time I have it. How did you get them started on liking it?

Mabunny - Their desserts certainly *looked* yummy, but I wasn't offered a taste, so I can't verify.

Angie - I wish I did, too. I bought my new camera so I could take it with me, but ... I obviously failed on this one.If I remember, I'll try to take a picture of Little Miss with the birthday hat on tomorrow and post it. She enjoys wearing them. I don't think I could talk my dad and husband into re-enacting it.

Jeff - Yep, it's the cool people birthday week. That's why mine is still four months away.... And my drawing abilities are terrible. Plus, I haven't learned to work the scanner part of my work printer. Yet. Of course I've also yet to remove it from its box. That might be why.

Bridget - Part of me agrees on the birthday desserts, but an evil part of me can't stop giggling at the plates that were brought out for my husband and dad....

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP