Thursday, July 31, 2008

Happy Birthday #1

Ok, I didn't get a picture of the unexpected birthday dinner on Monday, but I was prepared today. And imagine that, I saved the hat. HA!




Now picture a 38 year old and a 64 year old wearing these hats while eating fruity desserts. Yeah... hard to do, but do your best.


At least everyone liked the cake. Working from home has its benefits. And being able to make homemade cakes (I go for taste not looks) is one of them. The frosting was essentially fudge. I really prefer the cooked icings, as they take away the raw taste of powdered sugar and are much deeper and more caramely. And rich, so we still have about a half a piece after 12 people had cake tonight.


Happy Birthday, hubby! Love ya! (Even though you don't read my blog because I refuse to give you the address)

I was only supposed to get him to wear the hat or use my camera but not both. Somehow I got both. And he kept the hat on. And kept it on. Finally (and I mean twenty minutes later), one of the five year olds asked if he could try it on and my husband gave it up. I think he secretly really liked it!

Ok, and I have to give my caveats.

Don't look at our deck. It REALLY needs to be restained and I have quotes for it but can't quite understand yet why I need to pay almost $1500 to have it looking good so I have yet to actually schedule it.

And it rained today. As in I had to turn on lights while working at 2pm because it was so dark and stormy out. Some of the mess on the deck is the still drying puddles of rain, not grease.

And if you see the melted siding in the background of the last picture, that was not us. The previous owners were morons and put their grill there. And melted the siding. And yes, it's also on my list, but that gets done at the same time we replace all our windows, and I haven't pulled the trigger on that one either yet. 32 windows and four sliders makes for an obscene quote.

6 comments:

Angela July 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

AWESOME hat! Happy B'day to your hubby from me and my birthday hubby too!

I didn't make a cake for the day, but I may this weekend. I would have, but hubby has been complaining that we're eating too much dessert lately, so I didn't try very hard. I also prefer the cooked frostings, except for my chocolate buttercream, which I could eat straight out of the bowl. But my favorite icing of all time is my grandmother's cooked chocolate frosting.

Angie's Spot August 1, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

Happy bday to your hubby! And for the record, I didn't notice any of those deck or siding issues that you pointed out. :-)

MaBunny August 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Happy Birthday to your hubby;)) He's looking real stuf-muffinish in that hat let me say!
Those dark and stormy days where u have lights on in the afternoon are thekind where u need to just snuggle up with a warm dog and a good book!

Cookie August 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM  

That's a great picture!

our deck needs to be restained too. I think the only way to get hub to do things around the house is to have his family come to visit ;)

Anonymous August 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM  

I'm laughing that you won't give your husband your blog address! Just in case you want to slam him once in a while, huh? :)

Your cake looks delicious!

Michelle August 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

Angela - Thanks -- glad I was able to get a picture of the hat. Not the good dessert or the hibachi table, but at least the hat! oooo chocolate buttercream sounds beautiful! recipe?

Angie - Thanks! I figured that no one would notice them if I pointed them out but that if I didn't everyone would look at them and wonder what was wrong with me :)

Mabunny - Thanks! I think the hat is definitely a winner. Hmm... no dog in our house, and I'm so far behind on newspapers and magazines that there is no book reading going on unfortunately.

Cookie - Thanks! And yeah, my husband's family tends to get things moving, too. His dad can do ANYthing (and starts "fixing" things without asking us but that's a separate story). Buuut we aren't that handy. And our deck is one story off the ground which means that landscaping needs to be protected, and I want someone else responsible for that!

Jaci - Thanks! The cake was pretty good (I love my yellow cake), and there's only a hint left right now. And ummm there may be some things that I say about my husband that it's just easier if he doesn't read :) No one I *know* knows my blog address.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP