Monday, January 4, 2010

Smoked Brie Potato Gratin - Tasty Tuesday!

While this isn't the most interesting recipe I've made this week (technically, that one wasn't for humans), I realized that I'd promised on my other blog to post a recipe I tried with my Brie. And I know me. If I don't do it now, I'll forgt!

This was one of those recipes where I fell in love once I ate it, but cooking with Brie wasn't something I would have thought to do on my own (much like the meat puffs I made one night that were a HUGE hit but I can't quite bring myself to post here).

As always, so easy, so yummy... and so staying in the rotation.

Smoked Brie Potato Gratin

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb potatoes (I used baby reds unpeeled, but feel free to use the big Idahoes and peel them)
2 T oil
1 t garlic, chopped
1/4 t nutmeg, grated
8oz Brie
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Melt the butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic, and cook for a minute until fragrant. Add the potatoes and cook for two more minutes.

Pour in the mlk, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Heat the mixture to a slow simmer and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat, and pour half the mixture into a shallow oven proof dish. Slice the smoked Brie lengthwise about 1/4 inch and layer on top of the potato mixture. Pour the remaining potato mixture over this and place the baking dish in the oven for fifteen minutes until bubbly and golden brown.

Personally, I cooked it a little longer. And I saved some of the cheese to place on the top layer, too. I also used a mandoline to make sure that I had very thin and very even slices of potato, which I think made a difference. This was wonderful, and so much more complex than your "normal" potato au gratin.


Enjoy this and more over at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace. And head over to my other blog for an Alouette giveaway (it's small but fun!).

13 comments:

Cookie January 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

I really thought today was Monday, not Tuesday! But then again, I do get confused easily ;)

Connie January 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

That does sound good and if it's easy, then I'm all over it!
Thanks for sharing.

Alexis AKA MOM January 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Love Brie but man the calories and I have to stay away from it. Why you say because I can't just eat one bite of it, I must eat the whole thing!!!

Ok you must email me the meat puff recipe ... LOL I'll post it ... :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet January 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

Oooh, this sounds delish! :D

Roxane January 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Brie is my favorite cheese, I could eat it all day and never get tired...I might get clogged arteries though lol

septembermom January 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

I've never tried brie. Maybe I should :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace January 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Yummo!!! Sounds like a winner dish!

Live.Love.Eat January 5, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Are you kidding. Not interesting? This sounds heavenly. Brie baked with potatoes. Wow. I don't like anything smoked but it seems you used regular brie, no? There is nothing there smoked.

Brenda January 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

I can't even imagine how delicious this is! Great idea.

Jules AF January 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

I wish everything tasty didn't have dairy in it!!!

Michelle January 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

Cookie - Umm, it was. Again. But if I post Tasty Tuesday on Monday night, then it's up all day Tuesday. Or so goes my logic.

Connie - Would I steer you wrong? Of course it's easy.

Alexis - Shhhh, hush on the calories part of it. If you don't know about them, they don't count. I'll probably put up the meat puff the next time we make it. It was surprisingly tasty, kind of like a sausage fritatta.

Sherry - Umm yep. Go get a coupon on the reivew blog :)

Roxane - Why am I not surprised that you could eat this nonstop?

Kelly - Definitely. It's a nice cheese that isn't quite in the "smelly" variety that I can't do.

Lisa - Of course!

Stephanie - Alouette makes a smoked brie actually, and that's what I used. You can obviously easily make it with regular brie, too.

Brenda - Umm, don't imagine... just go cook!

Boob Nazi - You've come to the right place. With some exceptions, I do mostly non dairy because of Little Miss's allergy!

gfe--gluten free easily January 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

You had me at Brie! I'll be making this dish for a girlfriend's dinner soon.

Thanks,
Shirley

Michelle March 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Shirley - Wow, you're easy ;) It's a great recipe though, and I hope you enjoyed it!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP