Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Good Egg

Quick reminder -- anyone in the Chicago area with kids, I'm giving away a family four pack to Disney on Ice for Februay 2!

***

Mister Man had a good week at school this week, thankfully. His school is doing a great job of working with him and coming up with solutons (in addition to what we're doing at home), and they appear to be working. Ironically, my lesson to him that he needs to think about wht he's doing and decide if he'd like it if someone else did it to him is what appears to be sinking in the most -- or so he says.

Because he's had five green days, he earned a Bakugan (love the $1.99 Aldi sales!). Because he (finally) had a full week of straight green days, he earned a trip to go see The Princess and the Frog.

That second reward has been hanging out there for awhile. In fact, it's been since before winter break, if I recall correctly. He had been so despondant and was convinced that he'd never see the movie. Give him a few more weeks, and he wouldn't have seen it -- apparently it's near the end of its run already.

When I saw him for pickup on Friday, he came racing towards me with a huge smile on his face, which I knew was a good sign. Mom! Mom! I had a green day today! My whole week was green! Mom, do I get to go see the movienow?

Yep. Most definitely. I would have canceled any plans I had to ensure that he got to see the movie he earned. Fortuntely, it didn't come anywhere near that.

He requested permission to call Grandpa, and I handed over my phone.

Grandpa! Grandpa! Guess what! I had a green day again today, and I get to go see "The Princess and the Frog" this weekend, and do you want to come with me to see it, too?

Uhhhh, ok. We can add Grandpa. No problem.

When we arrived home, he ran immediately up to Little Miss (who had been home taking a nap and thankfully my husband was able to get home before I had to pick up Mister Man so I didn't have to wake her tired self up). Little Miss! Little Miss! I get to go see "The Princess and the Frog, and you get to come, too!

Ummm, well actually I was sort of planning on definitely not taking her with us, since she's never been to a movie theater before but seems to swallow a jumping bean every ten minutes or so, which just doesn't seem like a good combination. And I wanted her to nap during the time we'd be going. And it was really his special thing.

Before I could open my mouth, however, Mister Man turned to me with his eyes pleading. Mommy, I can invite her to go with me to share my special treat, can't I?

And when he puts it that way, how can I say no?

When my parents arrived yesterday morning to take the wee ones to swimming lessons (it's "their thing"), not surprisingly, Mister Man invited my mom to join us at the movies, as well. Daddy had also been invited in the interim, but he was coaching and unable to make it.

My nice little treat with Mister Man -- a not too expensive $15 or so endeavor -- was suddenly not so little and not so inexpensive. Since when was a 1:05 show a $7.50 per person experience?

But everyone enjoyed it. There was a part where a star was created that made me cry. The wee ones were slightly scared at a few parts. (Really, Disney? It is necessary to be that scary in every G movie?) But the loved it. Little Miss saw her first movie ever, and she was just about completely still -- and quiet -- the entire time (except when she leaned over to ask me if she would be asleep in bed at that time because she was tired). And today? Mister Man has been telling everyone he sees about how he had a green week and how that meant he got to go see a movie and how he got to share his special treat with his whole family (forgetting that Daddy wasn't there, perhaps?).

I'm just hoping that this is motivation for him for next week and the week after. And I have to admit that I'm more than just a little bit proud that Mister Man didn't want to hoard his special moment and that he wanted to share it. He's a good kid.

9 comments:

Amber Page Writes January 24, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

He sounds like a sweet boy. But $7.50? Oof. Movies just keep getting more expensive by the day, don't they?

Unknown January 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM  

He's a very good egg. How do you put a price on a moment like that? Fortunately for me we have a $2 show and the $5 Buck Club. The special treats get to be a little expensive otherwise.

Pop and Ice January 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

That is so very sweet - sharing his good fortune with others. But the movies are so expensive! Especially with concessions added in - if you allow it. I'm glad so many had a good time celebrating your son's excellent weekly report.

WeaselMomma January 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

How awesome that he wanted to share his special treat with everybody. He is a good egg.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace January 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

Good for him and for you to honor him for his good work. Mommy gets a good egg award, too!
Also, ouch! That is expensive for a movie. Of course, we never go to the theater anymore. I couldn't tell you how much it cost.

septembermom January 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

What a sweetheart! You're raising some very lovely, considerate kids. Good job Mama!

Michelle January 26, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

Amber - They totally do. I remember when $7.50 was the price for the night show. Actually, I even remember when it was less than $7.50.

Megryansmom - We have a $2 show, but it's only at night and currently showing Up In the Air? There is a theater that has $5.50 shows all day Wed and Sun. Next time, we're going that route.

Carol Lynne - Ummm yeah. My dad insisted on concessions, so we ended up with an Icee (the only non-dairy item in the place) and a small popcorn that Mister Man ate almost entirely by himself. But hey, since he insisted, he also paid.

WeaselMomma - I know. It sort of surprised me, but I suppose it shouldn't have. I was looking forward to some fun 1 on 1 time with him, but how can you say no to that?

Lisa - I know. It's the first movie I've been to since Ghost Town was in the dollar theaters a year and a half ago. And Mister Man's second movie ever. When it's that infrequent, it isn't too bad, but ouch!

Kelly - I know. I'm still trying to figure out where they're picking this up from ;)

Alexis AKA MOM January 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Wow we live in the same world :)

Cole is so active that sitting is sometimes so hard. LOL School has the key system Purple the best, Green all the way to Red (seeing the principal) Thankfully (knock on wood) we've stayed away from the red key somedays we're on green, yellow and orange sometimes are more our friends. Last week rough week. This week OMGosh I almost cried 3 days in a row purple! You should have seen the teachers face when I walked in today!

What a great reward way to go Mister Man! Keep up the good work!

Michelle February 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Alexis - Interesting. Ours sounds similar although not quite so many variations, just RYG. Congrats on the purples, and I hope it stays that way for you!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP