Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Goal 1? Accomplished!

Soooo I wrote last Saturday about my goals for the new year. One of the big ones was figuring out what I was going to do about work and just doing it instead of letting the inertia of time carry me along and complaining about it.

I finally made my decision yesterday. I had a plan of exactly what I wanted to do and knew why. In fact, I even wrote the resignation letter, prepared to present it to my boss.

After making my decision, I felt such a sense of peace. I could feel the worry sliding away. There's a book I'm reading where a character's partner describes his attitude towards work as, "I just don't care." It serves him well -- he does his job and does a good job at it, but all the icky things around the job that regularly drive us nuts? He just doesn't care anymore. I wish I could get to that point, but the fact is that I do care. I care way too much, which is why work/life balance is such a challenge for me.

But after making my decision? Calm. And I didn't care about the outcome. I knew I had backup, and I was fine with it. I had nothing to lose.

So today when I had my one on one meeting with my boss, I asked for a leave of absence to spend some time with the wee ones.

Surprisingly, my boss completely understood. When I said it would be at least two months, I could see him blanch a little bit, but he was game. I have an approved leave of absence, and I'm thrilled.

To be honest, I was surprised that it was as easy as it was. In fact, I had a trip to the chiropractor this afternoon because the right side of my neck tensed up so much that I currently (this is after the chiro) can't bend my head forward or to the right. I was expecting it to be more painful, and I detest creating scenes.

I'm not starting the leave immediately, and my boss is grateful that I'm staying to finish up a few critical projects. We still need to figure out the details of it - how do benefits work, what paperwork do we need to fill out, when will I be coming back, and the like.

That is actually going to be the biggest challenge.

My company has moved to a new model of HR where it's all online. Have a question? Search the HR FAQs. FAQs don't answer your question? Open up a case and tell them about it... so they can point you to the FAQs you already read.

But me? I don't care. I have my leave. I have my time, and I haven't made a commitment one way or the other.

For the next two to three months, I'll be able to practice being a stay at home mom, knowing that I have my job waiting in the wings if it doesn't work out. If I'm wrong and need the mental stimulation of the job, it's still there. If I discover that we can't survive only on my husband's salary, I can still regain mine. If I find that the wee ones do better when I'm not around, I can go back.

But right now, I'm not focused on that. I'm thinking about the time I can spend with the wee ones and the energy I can focus on Mister Man for the next couple of months.

Pass the bon-bons, would you?

25 comments:

Regina January 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

That is WONDERFUL! So glad that you got such a good outcome without any tears! And it sounds like this might be just what you need since you are so at ease with all the details. Best of luck - and enjoy your time.

Karen January 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

What a GENIUS plan! I hope you figure out what you want to do whie you're getting a needed break.

Anonymous January 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

WOO HOO for you!

Alexis AKA MOM January 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

I'm so excited my dear, I'm sorry I haven't replied to an email a few days ago. Sorry it got buried I'm working my way to it :)

Take the time enjoy it and I can't wait how to see how it turns out. I just know it's going to be good no matter what!

Yeah!!! Congrats!!!

Jules AF January 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

I'm just about to start my career, and I hope I don't end up like that guy where he doesn't care. Then again, my carelessness could lead to people dying, so I always have to care.

septembermom January 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

I'm jumping up and down for you!!! I'm thrilled that you feel at peace with this decision.

Mary~Momathon January 5, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Good for you! The littles will be thrilled!

Melisa Wells January 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Yay you! I'm so happy for you!!!

Jenn M January 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

If you find those bon bons let me know.. I've been waiting for 6 years now and still can't find the darn things..

Congrats on the 2 month hiatus.

Laura January 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

Bon Bons are on the way!!! Good for you Michelle, I hope you enjoy your time. Know this; even stay at home moms have bad days and days where the running seems like it will never end. Don't think of it as failure when you send your kids to their rooms for a much needed break we all need it one way or another. If need a shoulder or someone to talk to email me...so I can laugh at you...JOKING!!!

WeaselMomma January 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM  

Yeah for you! I hope you wrap up those loose ends quickly!

missris January 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Sounds like you made a great choice and I hope it works out in whichever way you want it to. Hooray for being proactive!

Pat January 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Yay! Congratulations, Michelle! I'm so glad you followed through on your resolution and then it turned out so well...you still have the option of going back to work if you want to. It will be wonderful for your children and also for you, though of course, even SAHMs have the occasional frustrating day. Thanks for your comment on my Mayan ruins post even though you were tired.

Roxane January 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

I am so happy for you Michelle! What a great plan, seriously this is the best option to really figure out what would make you (and your family) happy! I have no bonbons but I have a glass of champagne for you :)

Cookie January 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

Wow! That's a big step. Enjoy your time with the kids.

Claudya Martinez January 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Congratulations! I'm very proud of you for making this happen.

Debbie January 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Oh Michelle, I am so happy for you. That sounds like such an ideal situation.

Connie January 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

Oh wow! That is awesome! Spending time with your wee ones is the BEST reason to leave a job!
I'm proud of you and I'm glad you feel calm about it. It will all work out!

anymommy January 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

That's awesome. I am really happy for you.

Hyacynth January 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

I'm glad you were able to make a choice you have peace about.Happy new year to you!

Anonymous January 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

WOOHOO! How awesome that you are able to do this and that your employer is being so relaxed about it! Enjoy your time off!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet January 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

That is awesome!! Congratulations!! :D

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom January 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

I'm so glad to hear it! :)

Angela January 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Yay!!! I know you were noodling what to do about this and I am so glad you have a decision you are at peace with for the moment! This will give you some breathing space and I think it's a great idea!

Now, I'm heading over to find your tortilla stacker recipe. It's on the menu tomorrow! That's if I can get down my driveway to the store. It's currently iced over, LOL!

Michelle March 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Regina - Well... that part was without any tears. The actual execution was a bit more painful :)

Karen - I don't know that I'd go for genius, but I think it works well for all of us involved.

Shelly - Why thank you!

Alexis - No worries. And I'm sure you'll have updates on how I'm spending my time.

The Boob Nazi - Oooo now I'm intrigued. What *is* your career? Mine could never kill anyone at least.

Kelly - I feel absolutely at peace, and I hope I do at the end of it, too.

Mary - Welll they're mostly thrilled. They're also very bummed that Grandma and Grandpa aren't here all the time now.

Melisa - Thanks. I'm happy for me, too!

Jenn - Glad to see you took that tongue in cheek. I will admit to eating a blondie this afternoon while my bread was kneading. Does that count?

Laura - I'll be looking for them! I know there will be long days, and I'm ok with that. Fortunately, I've got some great friends around here who can help me get out of the house.

WeaselMomma - You knew exactly where the trouble would be, didn't you?

missris - I hope it works out, too - and that I figure out where I want to be by the end of it.

Pat - Now to follow through on the rest of those resolutions. Actually, I forget what they are. Maybe I should go take another look!

Roxane - I'll take a glass of champagne, too. Either way, that works!

Dawn - It is. And so far, so good. Ummm two days in :)

Unknown Mami - Thank you. It feels good to not just sit and whine.

Debbie - It is a good situation and definitely a win win for all involved.

Connie - I tried it before and failed miserably, but so many things are different now, so knock on wood!

Stacey - Thanks. Of course, you're used to it. And some of the days I read about... I think I'm ready for it though!

Hyacynth - And peace is really the most important part. It's a sensation I'd like to get more familiar with.

Nichole - It is awesome. I know they could have made it a much bigger issue than they did, and I'm grateful.

Sherry - Thanks. Look for updates!

Steph - So am I... it helps to hear that you've adjusted well to your change, too.

Angela - I think sometimes just making a decision, whether the perfect one or not is the hardest thing and yet the thing we most need to do. Here's hoping I can keep up with it :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP