Friday, January 22, 2010

Oh, Those Things They Say...

Quick reminder -- anyone in the Chicago area with kids, I'm giving away a family four pack to Disney on Ice for Februay 2!

***

The wee ones never cease to amaze me, and I never remember all the "good" things they say and do, although I try. We've had a few doozies the past few days.

When Little Miss was at the kids' area while I was working out the other day, she colored in a picture of the Super Sleuths on their scooter. Apparently her depiction of Pooh in his traditional yellow skin was marred by his blue shirt (instead of red. In her mind, this rendered him unrecognizable -- although Tigger with his orange and black stripes, was just fine. Above him, she wrote in large letters "Phoo." Close, Kiddo, but no cigar.

Little Miss also displayed her independence at the library. She refuses to let me help her select books, insisting that she can find them by herself. She talked nonstop in the car on the way to the library about the Froggy books she was going to select. When we got to the library, she skated right on past the "LON" section (the author's last name is London) and refused to acknowledge my hints. Instead I found her grabbing Berenstain Bears books from the bin, insisting that those were the books she was looking for all along.

Mister Man and I were on our way home tonight, and "The Fall of the House of Usher" came on the radio (yes, I listen to Old Time Radio on XM). He quickly figured out that this was a mystery and asked if I'd ever heard it before. I explained that I hadn't heard a radio version before but that it was a very famous story. His first question upon hearing that? "Mommy, did it win the Caldecott Award?" Uhhh no, but how on earth do you know how to even pronounce that?

We've had odd school schedules for the last week. Little Miss was off last Friday, everyone was off Monday, Mister Man was off Tuesday, school was back in session Wednesday and Thursday, and Little Miss wasoff again today. (Next year, we're so getting both wee ones on the same schedule!) Little Miss was starting to gloat that she didn't have school today to Mister Man who decided he was having none of it. "You may not have school today, but that's only because your school has its institute day on the wrong day. I had mine on Tuesday, and for my day off school, I got to spend the day with Grandpa. You only get to spend the day with Mommy." Well. That's telling her. I think.

At the breakfast table...
Mister Man: Mommy, did you know that Venus and Earth are sister planets?
Me: Umm, yes, I do seem to recall learning that at some point along the way.
Mister Man: Yep, and all the other planets are brother planets.
Ummm. Yeah.

And this morning, Mister Man came into our room early to complain about a noise he'd heard. My husband generously got up (probably because I was pretending to still be asleep) to show Mister Man that it was simply something that had fallen over in his bathroom. Mister Man nodded and went back into his room. A few minutes later, he came back asking what the buzzing noise was. I tiredly pointed towards the bathroom door and mumbled something about Daddy and the fan. And then I very clearly explained that I was still sleeping. So not two minutes later, guess who was back? Mister Man was desperately upset that he couldn't find Morgan Le Fay (one of his stuffed animals), and he couldn't start the play without her. I calmly explained his options of going back to sleep, starting the play without her, or quietly reading in his bed. "But Mommy! Those aren't the options I wanted. Can you rewind and try again?"

And I wonder why at 6:58 I'm seriosly considering shutting off the computer and going upstairs to bed.

9 comments:

Tara R. January 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

"Those aren't the options I wanted. Can you rewind and try again?"

I love this and will use it often in the coming days and weeks.

Pat January 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Little ones' comments are so hilarious. You can't make them up, they're so unique. I hope you save your writings about your kids! I've heard there are places where you can have your blog posts made into an album or book.

Connie January 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

There are times I wish I could rewind and try again for MY sake!
Cute kids!

Mrs4444 January 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

Oh, man. You rate lower than Grandpa, huh? That's adorable.

Alexis AKA MOM January 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Hey sweetie stopping by to check on you! Sounds like you're having fun at home ... LOL :)

Brother planets love it, so smart!

Claudya Martinez January 24, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

Poor Pluto's not even a brother planet anymore. I guess it's a step-planet.

My Lipstick Life January 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

This is a big part of why I love being a preschool teacher - Oh, the things they say! So awesome. Enjoy them, soon they'll be teenagers like my three... Cheers, SITSta :)

septembermom January 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Love the rewind options response. That's a good one. Smart kiddos!

Michelle January 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Tara - Better you using it than Mister Man. I was laughing so hard... but in a bad way.

Pat - I'm trying, I'm really trying to save and remember the funny things they do. Someday I will make this into a book for the wee ones.

Connie - Welllll yeah. I'd like to rewind things sometimes, too.

Mrs4444 - Umm yeah. I totally rate below Grandpa. Grandma, too. BUT I rate above Daddy.

Alexis - Yep, brother planets. That had never dawned on me before, but I love his logic.

Unknown Mami - Oh, I know. And how he reminds me if I accidentally list Pluto as one of the planets. Yikes!

My Lipstick Life - I can only imagine. Preschool is such a great age!

Kelly - Smart or smart-mouthed. Same thing, right?...

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP