Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Wouldn't Change So Much...

Last chance for Disney on Ice tickets! If you live in the Chicago area, I'm giving away a family four pack to Disney on Ice for Februay 2!

***

So Sunday I was getting a massage (I'll pause here for a moment so you can all be jealous of my ninety minutes with Sofia). I love getting a massage, and it's especially beneficial when I've been spending a lot of time at the gym. Note that I say it's beneficial, not that I enjoy it most.

When I've been spending a lot of time at the gym, my IT Bands tend to get tight. And when they get tight, Sofia finds this and works to loosen them up. And she really works. She finds some way to work out the tension I gather there, but oh does it hurt. It hurts badly enough that my yoga breathing sometimes isn't even enough. It hurts badly enough that I finally had to ask her this time to lighten up on the pressure. It hurts badly enough that two days later, I can still feel where she worked on the IT bands. But when she's done there, I have regained so much motion and flexibility there. I know I need it. But ohhh does it hurt.

This time, I tried a new way of getting through the pain, as my breathing really wasn't cutting it. I thought about how nice it would be to be able to have the luxury of the time and money to get a massage like this on a regular basis so that my IT bands wouldn't be so tight on the occasions I did make it in. I thought about how nice it would be to get just a 30 or 60 minutes massage after every time I went running.

And then I realized that I'd need to win the lottery to do that. And that I'd actually do just fine going once a week. Or maybe twice.

I'd also hire a personal trainer to work with me once a week. I don't need someone all the time. And maybe I'd only work with a trainer heavily for a month or two and then go back on my own. I just need someone to get me over the hump with running again - make me finish that 5K.

But I wouldn't sell my house. I like where I live. I like my neighborhood and my friends and where we are. We don't need a bigger or "better" house. I would remodel our upstairs bathrooms and my kitchen, but that's about it for major improvements.

I wouldn't buy a new car, nor would my husband. He wouldn't quit his job or change what he does; he loves it, and it gives him purpose. I'd quit my job though (but really, you knew that already).

I don't have huge changes that I need to or want to make. I wouldn't go out and buy new clothes or take huge trips everywhere. I wouldn't start eating out all the time, and I'd still cook.

But you know what? I'd eat all organic foods. It would be more than just the berries. The milk, the meat, the fruit, the vegetables - they'd all be organic. I'd eat fish far more often, especially sushi. And I'd be doing the cooking, not hiring someone to do it for me.

I wouldn't go out and buy all new designer clothes or shoes. What I've got works just fine for me, thanks. The same goes for flying out some huge fancy hair artist for haircuts that cost hundreds of dollars. I would like to find someone who can cut my hair so it looks good and teach me how to do my hair so I can avoid more bad hair days than not, but I want to do the daily maintenance myself.

There are a few small treats I'd buy myself -- a good fancy camera, a laptop of my own, and ummm that's all I can think of right now. There isn't a ton that I need.

Even quitting work, I don't see myself as having a ton of free time. I'm already PTO president and could so easily dedicate more time to that. I'd like to get to the gym more often. And I really want to start volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center. That plus the normal things that need to happen, and my day is complete once you add in spending time with the wee ones.

And to be honest with you, I think that about sums it up. My day and my life is complete. I don't need to do all sorts of fancy things or have a huge amount of money to be happy or fulfilled. While it would be nice to have some "perks" that I don't now, they're not necessary for me to enjoy life. Winning the lottery wouldn't change my life. And I think that's a good thing.

Because, honestly, I don't think my IT bands could take Sofia too much more often.

10 comments:

WeaselMomma January 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

Sounds like you have a good grasp on everything you need. Those perks would be damn nice though.

Karen January 27, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

No wonder I love you so much. Happiness comes from inside, not from things. You're a wise woman.

septembermom January 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Michelle, you're on the right track. Love how you think.

I'm super, super, super, super jealous of your massage. My back is aching like crazy now :) I'll live vicariously through yours. Hope that works!

Connie January 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Some things cost lots of money, some are priceless. It's the priceless things that make us happy. Speaking of massage, my daughter is a massage therapist. I always thought she was taking out all her frustrations on me while massaging. I'm glad to hear other massage therapists hurt - and not just the one that I had to take privileges from while she was growing up!

Alexis AKA MOM January 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

Oh man I would love to have some extra money to do all those fun things! I'd be just like you!

Oh man sorry you hurt after running. I wish I could get into running.

Pat January 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

I am happy to hear that it is well with your soul, and sometimes well with your IT bands (whatever they are?).

Keys to the Magic Travel January 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

When I had a massage last time, they had me fill out a quesionaire asking how often I would like a massage. I checked daily :-)

I often have lottery dreams. We'd stay in our house,too - but I'd do a lot of remodeling!

Michelle February 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

WeaselMomma - I do. And one of the perks I totally forgot? Laser hair removal for every part of my body that is plucked, waxed or shaved. Can you imagine how nice that would be to eliminate those tasks forever?

Karen - Awww, you're so sweet. And it absolutely does. I don't need a full bank account to have a full heart.

Kelly - I'm jealous of my massage, too. It was nice, and now I miss it. Buuuut I'm ok with it.

Connie - Amen. And they don't all hurt, BUT there are some parts of your body that need a good going over that can be a little sensitive. IT bands are definitely in that category.

Alexis - I'm determined to do a 5K someday. And by someday, I mean soon. I just need the time to regularly run. Too many things steal time away unfortunately (and legitimately so).

Pat - It is... and IT bands run along the outside of your thighs from your hips to your knees. On me, they get tight really easily.

Kat - Oooo, I like that response! Put me down for that, too.

Angela February 13, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

Ahh, the massages sound divine! I have not had a massage in over a year. I know, I really need to get one here soon because just about every muscle hurts lol! My back gets really tight because of the disc issues there and in my neck, so that is my worst spot. But somehow it translates into tension in my legs as well (particularly hamstrings) so I really have to focus on flexibility there.

Michelle February 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

Angela - Yeah, I could use a massage, too. But I have some other priorities (not monetary, just things that need to get done) first. Go get a massage. Or see a chiropractor? oooo both!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP