Saturday, January 16, 2010

Take It Away!

Super powers are cool. Super heroes are cool, too, but really it's their powers that make them cool. Thinking about super powers, there are so many that I'd love to have.

First on the list has to be the power to control time. I'd finally be caught up on my to do list. I could go back and fix all those little oopses that happen on a daily basis. I could stop some really bad things from happening? How perfect would that be?

I'd also love the ability to be invisible. Those times I need to sneak into or out of somewhere and don't want to disturb anyone? Done. Some of those conversations that I'd soooo love to hear so that I better knew what was going on (especially with my wee ones!), I could finally be that proverbial fly on the wall. And just think of the April Fools jokes you could play while invisible....

Flying would also be on my list of super powers I want. It would be more fun than truly useful -- with the exception of reducing commuting times significantly. I love the sensation of falling, and I'd be able to indulge in it regularly with this special talent. And swooping down to save people would be pretty awesome, I think.

But super hearing? It is no fun. Apparently I've recently developed this power, and it's driving me batty.

When I'm sitting in the quiet of my house -- when it's truly quiet and no children are scurrying around -- I'll use the flipper to fast forward something on the DVR. And as I hit the button, I hear a high pitched "bee-bee-beep." I push the button again, and that same high frequency assails my ears. On the plus side, I've been watching a lot less tv lately. Fortunately, the sounds of either the dishwasher or the washing machine are loud enough to overcome it.

And at night, I lay my head down on my pillow and relax to sleep. And that lovely mattress warmer that I have, which I love so dearly, now keeps me from entering that blissful slumber. I've learned that the mattress warmer cycles on and off in its warming. I know this because I can now hear a very quiet humming of the electricity as it pushes heat into the wires.

My husband swears I'm nuts. He doesn't hear it, and he thinks I'm making it up. But no, I'm not. And I've decided that this is one super power that I would prefer to do without.

So what are your favorite (and least favorite) super powers?

15 comments:

anymommy January 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

I'd like the power to mute my children when they wine. Which would be like all the time.

Laura January 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM  

no no I am the same way! I swear I hear every thing. I'm listening 4 escaping teenagers, how long the pump runs, creaking heaters, the DAMN fridge and leaking dishwashers oh and my oven! it makes a whirring sound I never noticed


So loud! When the power goes out the house is quiet, weird.

I want no super powers

WeaselMomma January 17, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

Hmmm, There must be pros and cons to all super powers, just like the super hearing. Namely, being in a nuclear fallout or something.

Tara R. January 17, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

The power of invisibility would be awesome, or super speed so I could get every thing I need to do done and maybe still have time for 'me.'

Angie's Spot January 17, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

I would love the super-human speed ability. If I could move through the rooms of my house, cleaning at mach speed, maybe I would clean more often.

I suffer from the hearing everything at night power currently. During the day, I'm a master at tuning things out. Hubby says I'm "in the zone". Whatever. I also wish I could cycle my brain into sleep mode at night. Part of my night owl behavior is that I sit wide eyed in bed with a million things running through my head constantly.

Connie January 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Super powers! I have thought about it before but I think I'd love the power to do everything that's required of me and do it well. Or be flexible enough to touch my toes. That REALLY would require a super power! And just for fun, let's throw in flying!
Sorry about your super power of hearing. Too bad you can't turn it off when you're trying to sleep!

Jen January 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

hyperacusis?

http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/4+types+of+sound+sensitivity/default.asp

Karen January 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

I'd love the ability to actually motivate myself. Seriously, the things that I could get done in a day if only I made myself do them!

Karen January 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
septembermom January 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

I hear everything at night. My husband seems to hear nothing. I'm surprised that I hear anything over his snoring anyway :)

Claudya Martinez January 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

I have super hearing too. It's really annoying and my husband gets irritated because I'm always putting in ear plugs, but I swear I can hear his heart beating if I listen carefully enough.

DeeDee January 21, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

I hear everything too. Currently I am obsessed with the proper functioning of the sump pump, since there have problems. I is directly below the bathroom, so sometimes my family will catch me standing in there listening. Also on my superpower list is smell - no one else around here seems to notice that the garbage is starting to stink or that the bathroom or the bedsheets are not so fresh. Or are they just playing me? Hmmm.

Michelle January 23, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Stacey - That's a good one. I'll have to tuck that one away.

Laura - Eek, your oven whirs? THAT would drive me batty.

WeaselMomma - Oh sure, take the logical approach; it figures ;)

Tara - Wouldn't invisibility be great? I have a metaphysical issue with super speed, but it would come in handy!

Angie - Ummmm no. Super speed to be used to clean more often? That's so not what I'd do with that power....

Connie - Don't give up on touching your toes! I have the shortest hamstrings ever, but when I was at BlogHer, there was a funky seated pilates lady who did some exercises to my legs for about 2 minutes and I bent over and touched my toes. It's totally doable. Maybe not repeatable, but doable ;)

Jen - I should have figured you'd come up with a reason for this. Off to go inestigate the site.

Karen - Wellll yeah... motivation would be good. Although I have to admit that I've been getting some stuff done and feeling so good about it. That alone is motivating!

Kelly - Oh I hear ya. I've got the same snoring issues. Fortunately, it's a rarity when my husband doesn't give me the right to go to bed first.

Unknown Mami - I would totally do the earplugs thing, but then how do you wake up for Put Pie if she needs you? I'm intrigued....

Debbie - Ugh, I'm sorry. Sump pump issues are something I don't wish on ANYone. Fingers crossed that remains a non issue.

Mrs4444 January 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

I'm very noise sensitive, too. When the power goes out, I am in heaven, as every appliance in the house shuts down and it is DEAD QUIET in here.

Michelle February 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

Mrs4444 - Isn't it nice? I hate to say it, but the wee ones are in bed, I'm quietly sitting enjoying the peace, and then my husband comes home and ... he's just loud in his walking and shuffling papers and eating and living ;) But I wouldn't trade him, of course!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP