Thursday, March 3, 2011

Yet More Proof That I Need Sleep

The sun peeked out from behind the clouds today, and I wasn't expecting it. I should be. After all, my very light blue eyes don't do well with light, and I have to wear sunglasses at times when most people are perfectly comfortable without them.

This is part of the reason why I have multiple pairs. And why I keep them in various places so I'm never caught without them. So as I drove to pick up Mister Man from school, I dug through my purse to grab my current favorite pair. Oh, yeah. I'd changed purses and foolishly not grabbed the sunglasses when I moved my wallet and keys.

That doesn't stop me, however. I simply pushed open the sunglasses holder in my car (one of my favorite features that manufacturers have put in over the last however many years) and grabbed at the first pair to tumble out. Because it's possible that I have not one but three pairs of sunglasses up there - sunglasses that I don't like as much as I used to or that might be missing a nose comfort tip thing.

I glanced at them briefly before putting them on, and a frown briefly creased my brow. These weren't familiar sunglasses. I didn't recognize them and wasn't sure where they came from. I shrugged internally and put them on. I searched my mind trying to recall where they'd come from - ahhhh, yes. These were glasses that I'd discovered sitting on the floor of my car a couple weeks ago and had stuck up there so they wouldn't get broken.

I blinked as I looked at the road ahead of me, admiring the polarization of the sunglasses. It's always amazing to me how the simple act of putting on sunglasses makes it so much easier to see things. The polarization makes things clearer, somehow. Although really, this was more clear than I usually get with sunglasses. Huh, maybe I should invest in more expensive sunglasses than the $10 specials I usually pick up, knowing that they'll soon be lost or broken.

Something was niggling in the back of my mind though. There was something that wasn't quite right. I was really seeing clearly. Like really clearly. Like too well for me who has a prescription for glasses but doesn't wear them because, well, one eye is near-sighted and the other far-sighted, so I can manage pretty well (including passing the driver's eye test, mind you) sans glasses.

I lifted the glasses up and peered ahead then put them back on. I couldn't tell if they were making that big a difference or not. Brilliance struck, and I closed my eye that sees well at distances and repeated the experiment.

Oh. My.

These were prescription sunglasses. And not just any prescription sunglasses but MY prescription sunglasses. The ones I'd had for merely a week and a half before misplacing them a year ago last November. I'd searched high and low for them, revisiting every store and school and place I'd been in the hopes that they'd been turned in to a lost and found somewhere rather than being crushed in a parking lot by an unforgiving tire.

I'd long since given up and had planned to order a new pair. Once I found the prescription for the sunglasses that my husband had put with our tax information and then filed somewhere not to be found. And ok so I found the prescription last month. I was going to order the new pair once I had time to search through all the options to find something I really liked. I hadn't quite gotten there yet.

Ahem.

Procrastination pays. I'm not sure how my sunglasses appeared in my car, because I tore my car apart more than once looking for them, but I'm not going to question it. I have my sunglasses again.

The only downside? Once I got to Mister Man's school, I couldn't take them off because my eyes had adjusted to the prescription and I couldn't see without them. So if you see someone whose future is so bright she has to wear shades, that future is so bright because that's a $200 pair of prescription sunglasses she just found (and ugh, someone remind me again why glasses - especially prescription sunglasses have to be so expensive?).


Pssssst I have a Facebook Fan page Facebook page. Come, like me! And, yes, I'm on Twitter, too - just sayin'.

19 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com March 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

Well, at least they were YOUR prescription sunglasses and not some random stranger's! That'd be even funnier. Or worse. Depends...

Vanessa March 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM  

Too funny Michelle! Sounds like something that would happen in my car, except the glasses would be under a half-eaten grilled cheese. :)

Anonymous March 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM  

Thanks for the reminder to fix my prescription sunglasses! The screw fell out in um...November and I have yet to get it fixed! Maybe procrastination has made them "heal" themselves. I'll go check! :)

Glad you have yours back!

Pat March 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

Yay! Glad you found your prescription sunglasses, Michelle. I "lost" our secondary checkbook about 2 months ago. I usually keep it in the file where I keep that bank's statements. I didn't want to tell Jerry. I meticulously recreated a new bank register, with all the debits and credits in it from old statements and used that when I needed to write a check from that account. Then just a few days ago I was looking in the file called "computer" and there was the original checkbook. *whew!!* Now I have the extra one just in case I misplace the first one again.

Susie March 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

I HATE that glasses cost so much!

Tara R. March 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM  

This literally made me snort... sorry about that. I gave up wearing contacts because my prescription is so strong they just didn't correct my vision well enough. I need to get an Rx for sunglasses.

Claudya Martinez March 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM  

Better late than never. It's nice to see clearly.

Joanna Jenkins March 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM  

What a great find!!! Yeah you.

I have many, many pairs of $10 glasses so they'll always be in reach, but they never are. Oy.

Nice shades. Glad you found them. jj

Michelle March 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

Tracey - You do realize, of course, that at first I thought they WERE someone else's prescription glasses. Ahem.

Vanessa - Yeah... that's why I can't allow food to be eaten in my car. Except for GoGo Applesauce that is completely self-contained. Can't. Do. Nasty. Food.

Patty - So did it work? Are they magically fixed?

Pat - So ummm are you updating both checkbooks now going forward? And putting them in separate places? I know I shouldn't giggle (of all people), but ....

Susie - Oh so do I. BUT I finally found online sites that friends vouched for that were far cheaper. I may still get an extra pair or two for fun.

Tara - Glad I could amuse you. I'm special that way. And ok lots of other ways, too.

Unknown Mami - Absolutely better late than never. And have I worn them since that day? Ummmm. No.

Joanna - So good to hear I'm not the only one. I could be kicking myself if I bought the expensive kind given what happens to my sunglasses. Regularly.

Pat March 8, 2011 at 5:53 AM  

The checkbooks are in separate places, but I've begun recording all info from my latest updated checkbook on an Excel spreadsheet. So if I misplace the updated checkbook, I can copy it all >( from the spreadsheet to my standby checkbook. I'm such an airhead sometimes.

Heather March 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

Hahahahahaha you are HILARIOUS! I lost my brand new pair of glasses for almost 6 weeks and had to wear my trial pair of contacts until I found them!!

Kim Moldofsky March 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM  

Welcome to my world, where things are never lost, merely misplaced.

Michelle March 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

Pat - You crack me up. I keep everything in Excel, but I can't possibly keep multiple copies. I'm lucky I keep one ;)

Heather - Glad I can amuse you. And that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Kim - YES. Misplaced. I like that term much much better!

Mrs4444 March 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM  

Now this is TOTALLY something I would do. Glad you found them! :)

Michelle March 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

Mrs4444 - No kidding. Now they're sitting on my coffee table mocking me while I think about where I "stored" my indoor glasses. Ahem. :)

Emily March 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

Things do turn up in the most odd places, especially in places we have looked before, don't they.

I think it's time to invest in some real glasses too. Look what you've been missing!

Matty March 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM  

I'm with you. If it's sunny or even a little bright, I need to wear my sunglasses. Since I wear contacts, I don't need glasses with an Rx, but what I do like is the expensive ones. Not because of taste, style or having any money, but because I find that they make for better vision. I've been wearing a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for about 7 years now, and paid $140.00 for them back then. How in the world I still have them without losing or damaging them is beyond me, but I sure do love them. I've tried the cheap ones many times, and the vision just does not compare to mine.

septembermom March 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM  

You're so much like me with these kind of experiences!

Michelle March 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

Emily - I swear someone planted them there. And I actually do own regular glasses, too. Ahem. Not that I wear them?

Matty - Wow, I'm so impressed that you have kept them around for seven years. That's truly impressive. If I could keep mine that long, I'd buy expensive ones like that, too!

Kelly - No wonder I like you :)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP