Monday, March 21, 2011

Let The Memories Begin!

The wee ones and I (and my parents) spent this past weekend in Orlando at the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration. We all had a fantastic time, and I have a ton of write about the actual conference, but there are some moments that just need to be captured ... now. Ones that have nothing to do with the conference, but ones that occurred only because we were blessed enough to attend and to have the joy of the wee ones with us.

The wee ones didn't know we were going until Wednesday night after dinner, when I sat them down to explain what we were doing. While they were tired, they were still happy to be going.

*video to come soon - YouTube doesn't want to upload it*

I love that they thought I was pulling them from school for St. Patrick's Day. The Irish in them is coming out.

As we sat at the gate, awaiting takeoff, Little Miss began to grow impatient. Look, Mommy! We're moving!
Mmmm, nope, sorry, Peanut. We aren't moving quite yet.
YES, Mommy. We are moving. Just look! she insisted.
Oh Sweet Pea, that's not our plane. That's the plane next to us that's backing up, I tried to explain gently.
Mommy, we are moving. I just know we are, she wouldn't give up.
And that's an argument I'll let her win... knowing secretly inside that I was right.

As we headed toward the Grand Floridian on the Magical Express, Little Miss leaned over to my mom. Grandma! Pinch yourself. You have to make sure this is really real!


I had purchased Disney Trading Pins for the wee ones from eBay prior to the event and presented them with some prior to their first day at the park. As I explained to the wee ones how pin trading worked, their faces lit up even more. They had so much fun finding people to trade pins with, and Mister Man even insisted on sharing his pins with some people who had lanyards but lacked pins.
Mommy, I'm giving them my favorite pins, he told me, seriously.
Your favorites? Why are you giving your favorites away? I inquired, mildly concerned but now understanding why some of my favorites were no longer on his lanyard.
It's a sacrifice I'm making, Mommy. I want other people to be happy, so I'm sacrificing my favorites for Lent.
And my heart melted. And broke. I did explain that it was my sacrifice to get the pins for him, and that I wanted him to enjoy them. We'd find something else to sacrifice instead. I only wish I'd discovered this before the last event of the last night of our conference.


Little Miss has a really hard time walking anywhere. She simply doesn't have a first or second gear and instead just goes goes goes. At the pool, this is a challenge for her, especially when she's supposed to walk from the pool deck to the water slide stairs. She succeeded most of the time, but ... not always.
But, Mommy! The wind made me do it, she tried to use as an excuse for running one time. No, I didn't buy it.

So, Mommy, Mister Man wanted to know, I really want to go back to Epcot because it's cool, but when we're finished with it, can we spend the rest of the day at Hollywood Studios? He sure knows the right person to ask. I'm all about maximizing our days and times in the parks. My parents? My mom would be good with one day at a park and done. Once you've ridden the rides, you've ridden them, right? Even my dad is getting tired. He's a smart kid!

Mommy, Mommy! Look at this! At Disney, they make me my own dessert plate that I can eat. And look at the Hidden Mickey's on my plate! she bounced in her seat. Gotta love the Disney chefs who go above and beyond for anyone with allergies or sensitivities to food.


I love the precious moments that experiences like this provide us. I love that I've been able to share the Disney Social Media Moms conference with them, and I have so much to share. Soon. But as always, family - for me - comes first.

10 comments:

Debbie March 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

It sounds like a perfect trip! And kudos to the chefs.

Pat March 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM  

What fun for you and the kids! I bet they slept well at night after all those daytime experiences!

Susie March 22, 2011 at 6:32 AM  

Sounds like a dream!!!

Unknown March 22, 2011 at 6:59 AM  

What a great experience for all of you. I can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous March 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

They are both so precious...you are doing something right with your little Angels :)

Glad you were able to take them on this magical trip! :)

misguided mommy March 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

I am going to need some of that dessert stuff right now please. About five plate fulls

Laural Out Loud March 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Such a fun surprise! If I go next year, I don't think I'll be able to keep it a secret from the kids, lol. Glad you had such a great time. I'm curious to read what you have to say about the conference part.

Michelle March 22, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

Debbie - It was such a wonderful trip. They did a fantastic job, and everyone was happy.

Pat - Oh did they ever. They even admitted that they were tired, which never happens!

Susie - It was. And I love how Little Miss had to pinch herself (and encourage others to do so, as well) to make sure it *wasn't* a dream.

Megryansmom - It was a great experience, and I am so lucky to have had it. More to come tomorrow!

Patty - Aren't they precious? I am very lucky.

Misguided Mommy - The desserts were amazing. ALL of them. You don't want to know about the yogurt panna cotta that I must figure out how to make.

Laural - It was a great surprise. I had to keep it a secret, as Mister Man has difficulty keeping regulated when he's excited about things. Conference is coming up next :)

Mary~Momathon March 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

I love that you were able to take the wee ones to Disneyworld! How exciting! Can't wait to hear more about it.

I'm a Disney loving mama, so I was pretty excited to read that you went.

The desert with the mickey dribbles looks amazing! My friend's daughter has Celiac Disease and she says Disneyland is the best and most accommodating place to eat out for their family.

Michelle March 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

Mary - It was an absolutely magical time, and I'm so glad I was able to attend. Disney is INCREDIBLE with their allergy adaptions. I was so impressed no matter where we've been - love love love.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP