Monday, March 28, 2011

It's All About Priorities

NO, Grandma, Little Miss insisted, that's wrong. First we went on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin where I traded for this pin, then we went on the People Mover where I traded for this pin. She gestured dramatically towards the Chip and Dale with light sabers mock fighting atop a storm trooper's helmet. THIS is the pin that I got when I was at Epcot.

Oh, my mother smiled meekly, as she stood vehemently corrected about when Little Miss had traded for the Minnie Mouse in a parachute pin. I didn't remember.

Silly Grandma. I remember where I got every one of these pins, she boasted proudly, showing off her lanyard filled with the cloisonne Disney Trading Pins.

My mother shook her head in wonder. How is it, Little Miss, she asked, that you can remember all that, yet you still can't learn your own phone number?


We're getting closer. She knows eight of the ten numbers now. Unfortunately, it does us know good unless she knows all ten. And in the right order, too.

6 comments:

Tara R. March 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

Maybe you could get a cloisonne pin made with the number embossed on it.

My son is the same way... he can remember some of the most amazing stuff, but not how to hang up wet towels.

Susie March 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

I like Tara's idea! She would remember then:-)

Michelle March 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

Tara - Not a bad idea. I do think it's hilarious how she remembers everything she's ever seen or done but cannot for the life of her (and she's tried) learn our phone number.

Susie - She probably would. But I can only imagine the crank calls I'd get if she started wearing that pin around ;)

septembermom March 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM  

She's sound like me. I always didn't remember those kind of things as a child, but I could tell all the details of a story. I wonder if that is why I'm still not a numbers gal. My husband on the other hand still remembers product numbers for when he was a stock boy as a teen. He doesn't remember much about our first date though. LOL.

Pat March 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

It's interesting what's important to kids! Some k-kids with whom I'm, acquainted know all the names of their favorite cartoon characters, but not their phone numbers!

Michelle April 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM  

Kelly - I like this way of thinking about it... focusing on what she'll be great at rather than where we're struggling right now.

Pat - Oh there is always something that's important to them that ... cracks us up. Glad she isn't the only kindergartener who doesn't know her phone number ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP