Friday, March 11, 2011

Devious, Yes. Smart? That's Still Up In The Air....

This morning, I was awakened at 5:45 (that's really really early for me, if you're wondering) by Mister Man's cry as he ran into the bathroom that he thought he was going to throw up. That is not, needless to say, how I wanted to wake up, but it had its desired effect.

The good news is that no, he never did throw up. *knock on wood*

As I brought him back to his room, I noticed a light on under Little Miss's door. After I put him into bed, I opened her door to discover her reading in her bed. Yay, she's reading. But boo - she complains when I come to wake her up that she's really tired and can't get ready for school.

I explained that 5:45am is way too early for her to be up and reading when she knows she needs more sleep. While she wailed and threw herself across her bed, moaning that she couldn't fall back asleep and it was just impossible. I sighed and explained that she needed to try, and that I'd turn her sound machine back on. Her light switched off, and I went back to my own bedroom.

A moment or two later, I heard her bedroom door close. I knew that meant she'd once again turned on her light and started reading - because I can't see her light on when her door is closed (in her mind). I debated the merits of being a good and consistent parent with the lure of my nice warm bed before sighing and trundling myself back down to her room.

Once inside, I explained again that she needed to try to sleep and was not allowed to read right now. In fact, if she read again this morning before wakeup time instead of trying to sleep, I was going to have to take her books out of her room for the day.

Turning off the light switch, confident that she wouldn't risk losing her books, I slipped back into my room and closed my eyes. And I heard her door shut again. My debate waged once again before I headed down the hallway.

This time, her light was on the dimmer - because maybe it was the bright light that warned me she was reading. Ummm, no. She looked up in genuine shock as I opened her door before hurtling herself atop the book she was reading in a vain attempt to keep me from removing it - and the other four books she'd stashed in her room. I explained very firmly that those books were not to be brought back into her room.

I went back to sleep. Almost. There was a suspicious creak in the hallway. Groaning, I debated once again pretending that I hadn't heard anything before sneaking into the hallway myself.

Little Miss had no light on this time. And she hadn't brought the book into her room. And she hadn't closed her door, tipping me off.


Seriously, one day, this girl is going to be the death of me. And yes, she did once again complain at 7am that she was really tired and wanted to go back to bed and sleep some more.

16 comments:

Pop and Ice March 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

There is NO deterring a true book reader engaged with a book. We eventually learn how to function on less sleep when immersed in a book. And after a while, we do regulate how often we have those "read all night because we can't NOT read" episodes. Her body will eventually force her to get the rest she needs. Don't threaten to take her books away...

Kori March 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM  

I agree with the above commenter; I get where you are coming from because I know how frustrating it is (I have a non-sleeper in general, and even though I get up at 5:30 every weekday, he insists on getting up as well-even though he could sleep another hour! And he is the devil to get to bed at night, too). Being one of those kinds of readers, though, I just realte and had to smile. :)

Tara R. March 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

And this from the little girl who was convinced she couldn't read. I remember many nights as a kid huddled under my blankets with my book and a flashlight.

That's a tough call, knowing she needs the extra sleep, and still wanting to encourage this love of reading. I hope you all can find a compromise.

Susie March 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM  

At least she is reading...

Mrs4444 March 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

That photo is adorable. I never had the heart to scold my kids for reading at night when they were supposed to be sleeping, though I did take the books:) So cute.

Kimberly March 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

Love that she loves to read...but sleep is so important.

She seems like maybe a handful, but a cute one!

septembermom March 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

She's a determined girl for sure! It is early in the morning, but it's wonderful that she wants to read. My 3 boys are fighting reading now. It's driving me crazy. Thanks for your friendship and support during these past 4 crazy weeks of jury duty. It was a physically and emotionally draining experience. So glad that I'm back to normal and blogging again.

Heather March 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM  

My parents used to ground me from books when I got in trouble! She is precious though! JUST PRECIOUS! :)

Lucy March 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM  

As soon as I learned to read I would wake up at the crack of dawn so excited to read, read, read. So as a parent, I feel your pain, but as a fellow reader, I say "Go, Little Miss!" :)

WeaselMomma March 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM  

How cool that she is that into reading!

Maybe try putting her to bed a little bit later or putting her to bed at regular time and let her read herself to sleep. This way she still gets her fix and maybe a good night's sleep too???????

Anonymous March 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM  

I like WeaselMomma's idea...boy she is determined!

Michelle March 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM  

Carol Lynne - You're right, there isn't. I know from personal experience (me!), but oh does the girl need her sleep. She tries to crawl back into bed when it's time to really wake up because she's so tired, which is the problem.

Kori - I used to walk around holding a book everywhere I went, which wasn't good either ;) It's hard because her days are harder for HER when she doesn't sleep.

Tara - Ummm yeah. And look what happened once she decided she could read ;)

Susie - Amen! I am definitely thrilled with that, and WHAT she can read now blows me away.

Mrs4444 - Isn't it? I love that picture. See, you took the books, too :)

Kimberly - That's exactly the dilemma. And she was still reading more than 10 hours a week that I knew about - we just finished a reading program at school where we had to track minutes.

Kelly - Oh but she is! So glad you're back from jury duty, too.

Heather - That seems to be what she loves most right now. Well, that and her workbook. Goofy girl ;)

Lucy - I know... I have that dilemma, but the parent side of me is winning right now. Or at least that day!

WeaselMomma - Yeah... she's the child who sleeps less if you put her to bed later, unfortunately. She just wakes up earlier. And she reads in the am, on the way to school, on the bus home, when she gets home, after dinner, etc etc....

Patty - Yeah. Soooo do you know any good boarding schools for once she reaches the teen years?

Jen U March 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

I can totally picture the full body hurtle! So totally Little Miss! (It's not her fault that she has to have such a rule-follower of a brother, too!) :)

Michelle March 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

Jen - Yep, so totally her. She cracks me up... and nope, she doesn't EVER walk anywhere.

Pat March 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

Other than not getting enough sleep, that's not too bad a problem to have, since reading is the basis for a large percentage of everything else whe will learn in school! I wish my two younger sons had had that problem...I'd struggle with them to read to me in 1st and 2nd grades. My oldest son, though, has always been an avid reader.

Michelle March 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM  

Pat - I absolutely agree with you, but the missed sleep for her leads to all sorts of issues. I am THRILLED that they love to read and definitely encourage it whenever it's reasonable to do so.

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP