Thursday, March 17, 2011

At Least I Know It's Genetic

On Saturday, we had dinner at my parents' house. While my mom doesn't really like food, she does try to cook for at least my dad and me when we eat. That night, we had a beef thing from Trader Joe's and rice that she made. Or sorta made.

For whatever reason, the rice didn't turn out for her "the way it normally does" - or so she claimed. When the buzzer went off, the rice was still semi-hard and plenty of water remained. She turned the stove back on, and eventually served us the mostly cooked and only slightly watery rice.

After dinner, she was clearing the table and nearly slipped on an ice cube. Once she'd set those dishes in the dishwasher, she came back to pick up the escapee.

Oh, this isn't an ice cube! she exclaimed. This is one of the lenses to my glasses. I think.

She pulled her glasses from where they were tucked into her sweater and peered at them. Huh, one of my lenses did fall out. No wonder everything's been so blurry tonight. I knew there had to be a reason I couldn't read the instructions on the rice.

Ahem.

Apparently it truly is genetic. And it only gets worse. Oh the things I have to look forward to!

8 comments:

septembermom March 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

she's too cute!!! I could see that happening to me very easily.

Susie March 17, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

That happens to us all the time!!!

Lisa Noel March 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

I have said for a long time, if I make it to 40 with my mind at all intact, I'll be impressed. My grandma was sharp as a tack until she was over 60 but my mom started losing it at 50, so i figure 40 will be it for me!

Michelle March 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Kelly - Oh, me, too. The best part was her actually slipping on it and thinking it was ice ;)

Susie - Phew! Wait, maybe not. I'm just glad she didn't break it.

Lisa - That's the wrong attitude. Mostly because it's awfully depressing. I need more good years than that.

misguided mommy March 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

ahahahahahahhahaha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I did that once. Went walking all over with my sunglasses on my head at a baseball game. Came back and a friend handed me a lens. I must have looked SOOOO NERDY

Pat March 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

I laughed. A lot. At this. =-D
No wonder your mom is so slim and trim!

Heather March 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

that is HILARIOUS! how did she not notice one of her LENSES missing!? OMG I would notice that RIGHT AWAY!

Poor girl!

Michelle March 21, 2011 at 10:57 PM  

Misguided Mommy - Oooo, yeah. Out in public is probably worse. Although - bright side, how many of those people will you ever see again? (My mantra in life)

Pat - That's one reason alright! But so not the right way to be slim and trim.

Heather - Ummm that's the question. Her mental acuity is slipping, I think. A lot. I'd like to think that I'd notice, but maybe not ;)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP