Monday, June 29, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

Once again, I am posting my Tasty Tuesday on a Monday. Actually, going forward, this is going to be par for the course. Due to the move of a meeting because of my boss's procrastination, I am now in the office on Tuesdays instead of being off. And my company is pretty strict about any websites that don't appear to be work related, so I'll be putting these up early.

The good news is that I now have Wednesdays off, which means taking a Thursday off gives me a five day weekend. Who knows when I'll manage to do that, but it sounds good, right?

Anyway, I'm back to the grill again, although this is also one that I make during the winter in my oven. While this is a recipe that sounds somewhat odd, it is absolutely delicious. I would never have tried it (ok, I exaggerate) had I not tasted it at a class I took once.

Every time I make this, I get huge compliments from my friends. The uniqueness adds a nice touch, I think.

Potato Pizza

Ingredients:

Pizza dough
1/2 T yeast
1/2 c water (hot but less than 115 degrees)
1/4 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1/2 T olive oil
1 1/3 c flour (up to 1 1/2 c if humid)

Toppings
3 1/2 slices of prosciutto (more if desired)
2 lb red potatoes, sliced very thin (can use less)
10 oz Kokisko or fontina or other similar cheese
1/2 basil leaves (FRESH)
1/2 c thin slices red onion
1/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Directions (oven first, grill to follow):

This makes a jelly roll pan of pizza, which cuts into 28 pieces nicely.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Add water to bowl then add yeast, oil and sugar. Mix to combine, then add half the flour. Mix well and add the salt (do NOT add salt prior to mixing in half the flour or it will kill your yeast), then mix again. Add the rest of the flour and mix until well combined then knead (or use stand mixer) until nicely elastic and soft like a baby's bottom (about 15 minutes on medium in stand mixer). Cover with damp towel and let rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.

While rising, grate the cheese and slice the potatoes (mandoline works great here or that blade on your food processor). Parboil the potatoes if you slice them thickly or they won't cook in the oven (Boil water, add potatoes, boil 3 minutes and remove). Slice the red onion thinly and separate the slices. Tear the basil and prosciutto into bite sized pieces.

Roll or press out the dough until the size of a jelly roll pan and press into the pan (I've not had an issue with them sticking). Brush the dough with olive oil and lightly salt (five twists of a salt grinder is PLENTY).

Add 3/4 of the cheese, then layer on the potatoes. Add the onions atop the potatoes, then the remainder of the cheese.

Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the prosciutto and basil. Cut into 28 squares and serve. This is also good at room temp if serving as an appetizer at a party (if so, cut into much smaller pieces).

If you're doing this on the grill, follow the direction up until the oven part. Heat your grill on medium, then place four scrunched up balls of tin foil on the grates and then the jelly roll pan on the tin foil and close the grill. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the cheese melts, then follow the remainder of the directions.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

Anonymous June 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM  

For you
http://www.elftea.com/2009/06/namine-at-clutter-box-has-given-me-this.html

Laura June 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

nice! I like pizza on the grill. Have you ever made it right on the grate it works...great! :D heat it real hot, flatten the dough in your hands, grease it w/ the help of hubby and slap it on. Reduce heat and cover, cook 1-2 minutes then open and add toppings. The high heat seers the crust. Umph! good.

septembermom June 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

Anything about pizza will probably make everyone happy. Thanks for the recipe, Michelle!

SnoWhite June 30, 2009 at 6:54 AM  

I never thought about potato on a pizza... but that sounds tasty!

Jill June 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Hey Michelle!
How are you?????

Sounds good.. another recipe to record into my book!

Brenda June 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

That looks good, great way to use the basil in my garden :)

Pop and Ice June 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

I'm trying to figure out if I leave off the prosciutto for my vegetarian daughter, will it effect the taste much? This is such an unusual recipe that I thought I would ask first before proceeding!

MaNiC MoMMy™ June 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

What? No picture!?!?!?

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace June 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

Thanks for the recipe and thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Momo Fali July 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

I agree, it sounds strange...but, I'll try anything!

Cookie July 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

You can never go wrong with cheese and potatoes :) Where's the pic?!

Michelle July 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Elftea - Thank you! Very cool; I appreciate it.

Laura - Yes, I do pizza on the grill regularly. This one I don't because the potatoes need more time to cook than the grill allows! I love grilled pizza -- in fact, I think I have a post with my version of it somewhere on here.

septembermom - Isn't that the truth? This is how we discovered that Mister Man LOOOOOOVES prosciutto.

Snow White - Me neither, but oh is it good!

Jill - Doing well. Blame Blogger for the non posting not me! Glad it sounds good to you.

Brenda - Yep. I had so much basil last year that ever piece had a few leaves on it. Yum!

Carol Lynn - Yep, I've been without prosciutto before and made it. It's still good!

Manic - Ummm yeah. The camera was sort of out of batteries and then there was none left. Ahem.

Lisa - Of course! It's such a fun carnival.

Momo Fali - That's the spirit. You're definitely my kind of girl :)

Cookie - No kidding. They're a great combo, aren't they? And ummm pic is in my head. That doesn't do you any good though, does it?

Ryan Ashley Scott July 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

You always have the tastiest recipes on Tuesdays. This one made me do a double take at the title, but all the ingredients sound wonderful together.

Michelle July 3, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

RAS - Well thank you! I was trying to figure out a more clever name that wouldn't turn people off but ... couldn't come up with one. It is awfully good though!

Angela July 5, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Sounds interesting! Actually pizza sounds delicious right now. Odd, since it is 9:30 in the morning, but hey, it's a holiday weekend, right?

PS you know about blogger's scheduler tool, right? You can set blogs to publish whenever you want.

Michelle July 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

Angela - Totally not odd. Pizza is good ANYtime. And yes, I know about it -- that's what malfunctioned. It was scheduled to post and then never did!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP