Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Congratulations!

Dear Mister Man,

Today you "graduated" from preschool -- and forgive me, but I use that term loosely. In my mind, you have moved on from preschool, but graduations are reserved for high school and college. Even Daddy only has the eighth grade recognition ceremony at the middle school.

I remember when you first started preschool just before you turned three. I knew you needed the social interaction and the academics were fun play. Your teachers expressed concern that you would wander the perimeter of the classroom and knock toys down during the day instead of playing with other kids. You did a great job of listening to the teachers in circle time, but the less structured periods were a struggle for you.

Just over a month into preschool, you had turned three, and we moved you to the Early Learning program in our school district where the teachers had the expertise to encourage all your development, social and physical and academic. The first day, I followed the bus all the way to school to be sure that you were ok. Five day a week preschool and riding a bus were big changes for us both!

Miss Erin was a great teacher, and we saw differences quickly. Over winter break, for the first time you asked a friend if she wanted to play Candyland instead of talking to an adult. I was so proud of you!

You made changes large and small, from figuring out how to ask kids to play with you without knocking their toys over to actually now being able to walk up to kids in any situation and play with them. It's so cool for me to take you to the kids' area at the health club and listen to the stories of the friends you made and what games you created while I was working out.

Physically, you've come a long way, too. I would watch you struggle to do basic gymnastics moves like jumping down the trampoline or holding onto the rings or walking across the ladder. Today, you scamper up the tall ladder toys at the playground without a concern. You're very proud of all your strength, and someday, you're sure you'll be stronger than Popeye.

Academically is where you've amazed me the most. Dude, you are the smartest little kid I know. You started to read a year ago February -- or before, since I didn't realize you could read! -- and have so quickly progressed from the Bob books to reading Thomas books to now reading the entire Magic Treehouse series and Encyclopedia Brown. You do math in you head, you know your coins, and you're really starting to figure out spelling, too.

While some parts of your life are a challenge, you've been blessed academically. In fact, this is where Daddy and I are a bit challenged, too. We know you hate to be bored, and we want you to be challenged in school. We're still trying to figure out what school to send you to next year, but I just hope that you'll be happy wherever you are.

You've made so many friends over the past three years, and your teachers have nothing but positive things to say about you. Miss Dawn still insists you're the most generous child she's ever met for all the chocolate you've given her out of your own Halloween stash. All someone has to do is ask, and you'll happily give.

You are so enthusiastic about so many things. I love the joy you show when you ask Little Miss's teachers every day how she did in school, knowing the answer will always be "awesome." Your happy dance will always crack me up, and the way your face lights up whenever there's a surprise is so neat to see. You are a truly special kid.

My one word of warning to you is that you need to learn how to fail and to recover from that. I know you want to be perfect, but no one is, not even Mommy. It's ok to try and to not succeed. If you don't try, you'll never learn whether or not you like something, and no one is good at something without a lot of practice. Just try, and never give up. Mommy's always going to love you no matter what.

And you know what? You've done a great job so far. I'm so proud of you!



Love,
Mommy

15 comments:

Cookie June 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Congrats! That is exciting. Look out kindergarten, here he comes!

Nanny Goats In Panties June 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

OH, I hope you're saving this for him to read later....or now, I guess - LOL!! But seriously, this is such a wonderful and loving post. It's so sweet.

I came by from SITS today because you commented above me.

Hope you're having a great week.

- Margaret

WeaselMomma June 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

Yay! he made it! Only 13 more years to go!

morninglight mama June 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

Congrats! :)

Unknown June 11, 2009 at 7:11 AM  

WTG Mr Man you have a bright future ahead of you and a mommy and daddy that are making sure you get the best opportunities.

septembermom June 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

Congrats to Mister Man! Off he goes with the big kids. This was a sweet post to your little graduate.

April June 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

What a sweet post. Congrats to Mister Man!

Roxane June 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Awww how cute! Congrats lil' dude :) I say keep this entry printed out for the day of his senior prom and read it out loud when he is pinning the corsage on his date LOL

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet June 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

Congratulations to your son!

What a beautiful post of his development this year. :D

Musings of the Mrs. June 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Great letter! What amazing progress he' made.

Michelle June 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Cookie - It is exciting. My mom tried to cry, but ... it's not sad!

Margaret - I definitely will have him read this now and later. He needs to know and believe all of this, especially the part about trying and failing.

Weaselmomma - Oh what low expectations you set. I expect at least another 17 ;)

morninglight mama - Thanks!

Megryansmom - Oh he does have a brght future. I just hope he's happy with however it turns out and whatever choices he makes.

April - Thanks - on both counts :)

Roxane - Oooo, I like that! Maybe I'll make it a tradition to read it at the beginning and end of each school year, adding on to it as we go. Hmmm.

Sherry - Thank you. He has made so many changes, this year and the past two!

Musings of the Mrs. - It is amazing. I look at him, and it's hard to believe he's the same child sometimes.

Melisa Wells June 12, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

Congrats! Great post. You should print it out and put it in his baby book. Or something. :)

Michelle June 12, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Melisa - Thanks... of course that assumes that he HAS a baby book. I figure if I update it "when I have time" no one will ever know that I made up parts of it, right?

anymommy June 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

So sweet. Congratulations to your little man.

Michelle June 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Staey - Thank you. He's a good little guy. You'll be there soon yourself!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP