Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tasty Tuesday!

I made a special treat for my husband for Father's Day. I always do some sort of breakfast in bed, and I realized that I hadn't made my scones (sans cream) since we took Little Miss off dairy.

They're quick, they're easy, and they're ohhhh so yummy. I figured it was worth trying them dairy free, although I'll also share the original recipe with dairy. Little Miss has already asked when she can have scones again -- and was very sad that tomorrow wasn't the answer.

While I usually save this for weekends, it takes less than a half hour start to finish, so these are doable during the week, too.

Chocolate Cherry Scones

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c sugar (scant)
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c rolled oats (NOT instant oatmeal)
1/2 c dried cherries (or more)
1/2 c carob chips or chocolate chips for dairy lovers (I ummm don't measure this part, so it's approximate)
10 T melted butter (or Crisco, which is dairy free)
1/3 c milk (or soy milk)
1 egg



Directions:

Put the flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, then whisk well. Add the oats, cherries (or other dried fruit -- don't use fresh for this recipe) and chocolate chips and stir until well distributed.

Place the milk, melted butter and egg into a large liquid measuring cup, and whisk until it's one consistency. Add to the dry ingredients, and gently stir with a spatula until it is combined. Do not overmix.



Turn out the dough onto sil pat (or floured surface), and use your hands to shape it into a circle about a half inch thick.



Use a knife or a board scraper (my all time favorite kitchen gadget), cut the circle into 8 or 10 pieces, depending on the size of your circle. I had scooped out two scones for Little Miss from the dough prior to molding it into the circle since we were out of carob chips, so I only made eight scones. I usually make 10.



Place them on a sil pat or greased cookie sheet. they won't expand hugely, so you don't have to keep them too far apart.



Once they come out of the oven, let them cool for a moment or two, then serve while still warm. My husband got his with strawberries from the farmer's market (thank, J!) and coffee with cream -- that I for the first time made properly!

He was a happy man.



And of course, as always go check out this week's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed With Grace!

Enjoy!

15 comments:

AudreyO June 23, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

Oh goodness, two of my favorite flavors, chocolate and cherry. Yum!!!

septembermom June 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

That's a nice any day treat! I'm sure hubby loved them.

Anonymous June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Oh my, these sound fabulous! I love making scones, and chocolate & cherries sounds like a wonderful combination. Yum!

Momo Fali June 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

I bet he was happy! Those sound delicious.

Julie@comehaveapeace June 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

I came over from TMTT at Blessed with Grace. Looks like a great recipe, and the photos are so helpful. Definitely will make these. Thanks!

Roxane June 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Ohhhh we love pastries around these parts!! that sounds easy enough :)

Brenda June 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

What a great fathers day treat, I'm sure he really enjoyed them!

Debbie June 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

I haven't made scones in forever either! Great idea.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie June 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Those sound delicious!

SnoWhite June 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

I'm going to have to try these!!

Susie June 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Oh, those do look tasty:-)

Karen June 24, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Maybe next year we'll show up at your house.

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com June 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Sounds like a delicious treat! I hope your husband had a wonderful Father's Day =)

Michelle June 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

AudreyO - They do go SO well together, don't they?

septembermom - Oh he did. Although I'm thinking he possibly loved the sleeping in and breakfast solo even better ;)

Kara - So do I... especially when I can pretend they aren't too bad for me by not using cream. We'll pretend those 10T of butter don't exist!

Momo Fali - Yep, he was. And surprisingly, another one disappeared after he spent some time in the kitchen. Hmmm!

Julie - I know. I need to remember to take pictures more often. I'm working on it!

Roxane - Totally easy. Even my husband has made them before, and he is NO baker :)

Brenda - It was a nice treat... although Little Miss keeps asking when she gets to have them again.

Debbie - I thought so. Go make yourself some scones!

Alisa - They are, and totally doable in whatever flavor sounds good to you (and dairy free!).

Snow White - Ohhh, I bet your husband would love them, too. Go for it.

Susie - You know it. The presentation isn't quite up to your standards, but ... still yummy.

Karen - Deal. So long as you let me play with your goat but keep her off my car!

Sarah - He did, thank you. Fathers don't get recognized near enough, I think.

Angie's Spot June 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

I'm definitely trying this recipe! Hubby informed me yesterday how much he loved chocolate cherry ice cream and I know he loves breakfast breads, so I would bet that these would go over big time!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP