Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Little Girl!

I usually let Little Miss dress herself. I'm a big believer in independence and letting children make choices now and succeed or fail at them when the stakes are small so they learn how to do both well as they get older.

It's true that there are days when I choose to publicly acknowledge that I had nothing to do with her outfits (like the day she wore her grey 24 month romper that she had somehow pulled from the giveaway pile with matching grey knit shorts, turquoise and white striped socks and a purple bow), but I generally allow her to be herself, and it suits us all.

On "special" days, I will make requests, and she's generally happy to accomodate them. I asked her today to put on a nice dress for Father's Day and church. She ran off to her room and came back shortly.

I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud. Apparently I didn't do a good enough job of purging her closet this year - and the weather has been rotten enough that she hasn't worn many summer clothes.

Last year, this dress was a beautiful sundress that fell to her mid-calf. When I told her that she couldn't wear it today and that we were going to have to give it away, she wasn't happy.



Nope, not happy at all. But ummm apparently she's grown a little in the past eight months. That dress fit perfectly well when we were in Florida in October.

She's not my baby anymore, is she?

17 comments:

Aunt Julie June 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

It's still kinda cute, though. And such a fetching pose! Hope no hissy fits were involved in the changing of the outfit. I know that back in the day The Wild One would have thrown a fit!

septembermom June 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Her expression is priceless in that photo. It is a pretty dress. Isn't it something how fast they all of a sudden grow? Hope your husband had a nice Father's Day!

Brenda June 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Its amazing how fast they grow!

Melisa Wells June 22, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

No she's not! My goodness, I can't believe how big she's getting!!! Wow!

MaBunny June 22, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

I agree with veggie mom that it still is a cute dress, albeit a bit too short - find a pair of leggings or shorts to go with it , as long as it isn't tight on her up top!

Unknown June 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Don't they grow so quickly? It's alarming : )

Dawn Parsons Smith June 22, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

I just went through this with my 6 year old girl:) She looks cute in that dress! It's still always a shock when you see how much they've grown(all right before your eyes!)

morninglight mama June 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

LOVE the face. I feel JUST like that about some old clothes of mine that I have outgrown... just for other reasons...

:)

Kellan June 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

What a cutie!! It's always fun to see what they pick out - isn't it?

Have a good week, Michelle!!

See you soon - Kellan

Roxane June 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Aww look at that face LOL poor little miss! She is adorable.

KatBouska June 23, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Awwww, she's too cute though! And I think Maile has that same dress. :) I love it.

Michelle June 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

Veggie Mom - Uhhhh, yeah. No hissy fits, no hissy fits at all! Not this one....

septembermom - They do grow so fast. And they get older so fast. Where's my baby?

Brenda - Overnight, I swear! I'm afraid to blink now.

Melisa - She's getting big, but what about YOUR boys? :)

MaBunny - I thought about that. She hates long shirts though... but luckily it's not at all tight on top. She's finally hit 30 pounds. Almost. Fingers crossed in a month she'll be there for her four year checkup!

Life with Kaishon - You said it!

Bee and Rose - You mean I'm not done? I have more years of this shock at growing? :)

Morninglight mama - She does have quite the expression, doesn't she? I figure she'll be ready for the big stage soon.

Kellan - Ummm yeah. Hilarious. You don't want to hear about the romper she wore the other day. With her fourth of July socks. And mismatching hair bow. Adorrrrable.

Roxane - Thanks! I love how SHE garners all the sympathy though....

Mama Kat - Gotta love those Target specials.

anymommy June 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

Aw, no, but she's still really, really cute.

Karen June 24, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

She IS growing up. It's so sad.

Michelle June 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

anymommy - Yeah, you wouldn't let her wear that dress either, would you?

Karen - Isn't it though? This is one of those times I'd like to freeze frame her!

Angie's Spot June 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Poor thing. My girls, especially my oldest, pull this stuff with me all the time. I feel like I'm in constant "patrol mode" of their closets. My youngest has 2 shirts that she LOVES to wear. They are size 18mo (she's 3 yrs old). Now, she's little for 3 yrs old, but even these shirts are becoming a bit of a stretch. I have a feeling it's going to be a BAD day when I finally tell her that she just can't wear them anymore.

Michelle June 28, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

Yep... that's our issue. While the wee one are tall, most of their height comes in their backs, ESPECIALLY Little Miss, who's also skinny as all get out and just barely 30 pounds at a month shy of four years. She could almost wear 2T pants... and Mister Man currently has a pair of 3T cargo shorts in the rotation. shhh!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP