Monday, April 25, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Super Scalloped Potatoes

One of these days, I'll put up a holiday recipe before the holiday so people can take advantage. Then again, there are some recipes that are good anytime and should be pulled from your repertoire more often. This is one of those.

There is just a teensy tiny bit of it left in our house. And a total of four people ate any. In related news, I really, really need to hit the gym tomorrow!

Super Scalloped Potatoes


Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes (ok so since I was at my mom's house, I used Idahoes, which doesn't work as well but they do in a pinch!)
1 pint half and half (don't go skim milk on this one. Whole milk can work, as will heavy cream, so lets split the difference and use half and half shall we? Get it? Ok so I'm a little punchy today)
2 T butter - or less, this time I used right around a tablespoon or a little more
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 c Parmesan, fresh grated (don't use the green can, although again... I was at my mom's house and that's sadly all she has, so it's possible, but I highly advise against it)
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Butter the bottom of your casserole and preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Slice your potatoes super thin. I used my mandolin to do it, which gives them an even slice. Your food processor likely has a slicing attachment that will also work nicely. Or you can slice them yourself, which will take longer but works as long as you're more careful than I am!

Mince your garlic.


Place a layer of potatoes in the dish. Over this, drizzle your half and half just enough to lightly douse the potatoes (you want to save enough for each layer).

Cut your butter into tiny cubes. I find it easiest to dip the butter into a bit of garlic so that both the butter and garlic are distributed across the casserole dish with neither garlic nor butter sticking to my hands. Whatever your method, dot the potatoes with bits of butter and sprinkle some of the garlic atop that.

Atop this, sprinkle some of the cheddar cheese, then salt and pepper the layer.


Continue this layering until your potatoes are gone - mine is generally about four layers. On the top layer, sprinkle the grated Parmesan.

Cover the casserole dish with foil, and bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and turn up the heat to 375 degrees, baking for an additional 15 minutes to get the cheese completely melted and the top nice and crusty.

Serve immediately, although leftovers are pretty darned good, too. Yum! Enjoy this and more at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Blessed with Grace.

$35 gift certificate to DaySpring here
Wacoal br@ or shapewear giveaway here

9 comments:

Pat April 25, 2011 at 11:34 PM  

This looks heavenly! Another must save...everything my husband loves--potatoes, garlic, cheeses, half&half, butter. He'll be very happy when I make this for him!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet April 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Oh, my goodness! I LOVE scalloped potatoes! THese look absolutely divine! :)

Miz Helen April 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM  

Hi Michelle,
Your Scalloped Potatoes look very good. We just love Scalloped Potatoes, they pair up with so many dishes. Thank you for sharing and have a great week!

annies home April 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

delicious my brother in law loves them yet he makes them from the box I am going to make these for him as a suprise thanks for sharing

come see my blog at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Liz Mays April 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM  

It sounds absolutely fantastic! I love vegetarian dishes. Thank you.

Tara R. April 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

These sound awesome. I will be making this very soon.

Laura April 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM  

awesome tip to dip the butter in the garlic, I hate smelling my hands after using garlic--well I like it at first but them I'm over it...

Michelle April 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

Pat - It is good. Be careful with the cheese and butter or it'll get greasy, but mine turned out just fine. And the leftovers are awesome, too ;)

Sherry - So good, so yummy, and so little fuss!

Miz Helen - They really do. I'm having my leftover ham into bunsteads and eating them with my leftover scalloped potatoes :)

shopannies - So much better (and healthier!) than the stuff from the box. I bet he'd love the surprise!

blueviolet - Me, too. Much as I love meat sometimes, there are l lot of really great vegetarian recipes I adore, too!

Tara - So awesome. And oddly, I decided I liked the longer slices of potatoes that I got being lazy with my mandoline. Go fig.

Laura - Thanks :) You do know the tip of rubbing your fingers (or whole hands, as the case may be) on a stainless steel spoon to get rid of the garlic smell, too, right?

septembermom May 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

once you write potatoes in the the recipe title - I'm there. Looks good!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP