Thursday, April 21, 2011

Poetry Was Never My Strong Suit

Kim from MomImpact is giving away a ticket to Type-A Parent in Asheville. All we have to do is write a haiku discussing why we want to go. And - of course - we have to be members of MomImpact.


Easy, right? Then why did my mind go blank? I couldn't even remember the form of a haiku. Three lines, I remember that. And umm 5-7-5? 5-7-6? Thank you Google. A haiku is 5-7-5, so some of my high school English classes stuck with me. New knowledge? A haiku traditionally contains a seasonal reference and a cutting word. Now that's pressure.

So here goes:

Summer, let me go:
Knifing my way to Asheville
Vision board, fulfilled!

Hmmm... not quite up to standards. Then again, that might be as best as it gets for me. More tries:

Type-A Parent opp:
Spring-like renewal for blog
Slice away stale edge.

Kids home for summer.
Husband home, too, then there's me.
Kim: help a girl out!

Blissdom: learned to
create Facebook page for blog.
What will Type-A add?

Asheville, peace, learning.
Good reasons all, yet there's more.
Friends... and alcohol.

Oops, those last two forgot the season and the cutting word. Last try!

"Cut it out!" I say
Summer returns old routine.
Save my sanity?

My ambition to be a poet has been killed. My apologies to all who enjoy good poetry! As for the hair donation reveal? Tomorrow. I'm giving it a full week to get used to it, but I promise - details and a picture tomorrow.

Freschetta By the Slice giveaway here
$35 gift certificate to DaySpring here

8 comments:

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom April 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

I like the one refering to friends peace & alcohol...and now I have a Brad Paisley song stuck in my head :)
I would so love to meet up w/ you in Asheville...

Susie April 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

Nice:-) I was never good at poetry.

Mrs4444 April 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM  

I love the last one! Good luck! :)

Matty April 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

As much as I like writing poems, usually with humor, I have never tried a haiku. But yours sound great, and I wish you the best in winning that trip.

Michelle April 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM  

Steph - I'm tempted to go google that song, but given that it's going through your head right now, I'm going to smile and nod and pretend like I know what you're talking about ;)

Susie - Thanks. Obviously, it's not my strong suit either, but sometimes it's fun to play, right?

Mrs4444 - I'm sure you can relate. Or maybe yours is the reverse ;)

Matty - Aww, you're so kind. I do enjoy your poems. The baseball one was spectacular.

septembermom April 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM  

You know that I love playing around with haikus. I think you had fun with this task. The last one is my favorite!

Pat April 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

I like the second one best. You are a prolific haiku-ist!

Nicole Brady May 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

Squeeeeee! So happy for you. Congrats!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP