Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Innocence of Easter

This morning, the wee ones raced downstairs to check to see what the Easter Bunny brought them. They found baskets filled with Star Wars books (our Easter Bunny is apparently a little non traditional) and bubbles and Lego toys and Yummy Tummy lollipops (no HFCS!).


They were thrilled. Absolutely thrilled. They couldn't wait to show me what the Easter Bunny had brought them. They love the Easter Bunny. And to be honest, I love that they love the Easter Bunny.

My philosophy has always been that I only answer their questions... primarily with other questions about what they think. I don't lie to them directly, but I don't want them to lose their innocence too early. (Ok so too early in my mind might be something like 20 years old?)

Today was a close call.

While we were at my parents' house this afternoon, I picked up the paper. The comics were on top, and I skimmed through them - always interested to see what new comics are being printed now that I don't get the paper in print anymore and of course to see what my old favorites are up to.

And then I saw it. Comic after comic referred to issues parents had with regards to the Easter Bunny. Were the wee ones to see the comics, they would insist my dad read to them, as he does any Sunday we're at their house.

Seriously? The comics aimed at young children unrepentantly destroy some of the beautiful innocence of childhood. I had to hide the comics. Today was not to be the day.

So of course, that's when the wee one walked up and saw what I had in my hands. Ooooo, Grandpa! Grandpa! Read us the comics! they chanted.

My brain moved into high gear. What's called for in this situation? Distraction.

Hey, my monkeys! Who thinks they can hide an Easter egg where I can't find it? I asked in a gushy, overly enthusiastic tone.

They bought it. And that's how their Lego Easter baskets now have only six eggs instead of the eight eggs that went to Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Happy Easter to all celebrating!

Freschetta By the Slice giveaway here
$35 gift certificate to DaySpring here
Wacoal br@ or shapewear giveaway here

9 comments:

Pat April 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM  

That was quick thinking, Michelle! And I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa appreciated the gift of eight additional eggs.

I was a party pooper and let my kids know right from the beginning that there was no Santa Claus--that these gifts were from me and Daddy. I told them that Santa Claus represented the spirit of giving at Christmas time. I never even talked about an Easter bunny. I was following in my mom's footsteps. They still hunted for Easter eggs and got surprise Easter baskets with candy in them, even a hollow chocolate bunny.

Pat April 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

My kids all LOVED MadLibs! They're great on long road trips.

Melisa Wells April 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM  

Why does the media insist on ruining everything? So annoying. Good job thinking on your feet!

Tara R. April 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM  

Very quick thinking. I did the same with my kids - answering questions with question. At 18 and 22, they still get presents from Santa and Easter baskets.

septembermom April 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM  

You're on top of everything Michelle!

Good job :) My third son overheard my older boys "out" the Easter Bunny. Gratefully, Jillian is still waiting for that bunny each year.

Anonymous April 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM  

Quick thinking Mama! Nice save! :)

Michelle April 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM  

Pat - Well, six of the eight came home with us. We're hoping her cleaning lady finds the two missing eggs ;)

Melisa - I know I don't need to say this to you, but ... it drives me batty!

Tara - I feel better about not lying. And I'm pretty sure there will be presents for them forever. One of my friends has a great phrase I plan to utilize: If you believe, you will receive.

Kelly - Bummer! But yay for Jillian. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it quiet for the other once one outs it.

Patty - Phew! At least it worked that time. I'm just not ready to give it up :)

Laura April 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM  

we really need to stop assuming that no one believes we believe here whole heartedly and I love it-I hope we can hold out one more year, we'll see!

Michelle April 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

Laura - No kidding. Love that you still have the innocence there, too!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP